2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Spending $2800
Lithuanian
Mar 23 2008, 03:04 PM
GMC:er
Okay so for the past year I was working my ass off and managed to save up $2800. Now I want to spend it on guitar gear, but I dont know what to buy.

I was thinking of buying a new electric guitar (a fender strat maybe) but then I thought that I only have a cheap $150 amp and the guitar would not be used to its full potential.

Now I am thinking of buying a good amplifier. Maybe a tube amp. The problem is, I dont know anything about amps. Maybe you could suggest some good rock/blues amps in that price range? I would appreciate it very much

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Lithuanian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 23 2008, 03:06 PM
If you can find one a Marshall JCM800 is easily the best for rock and blues in my opinion.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Mar 23 2008, 03:11 PM
Instructor
For the ampli I can suggest the Mesa Lone Star. Look at this laney and listen the samples http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=l5t-112
Then...I don't know much about fender amps but they seems to be great rock-blues amps.
Bye

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 23 2008, 04:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
What guitar do you have ? Fender strat is awesome guitar and I think you can buy it and for the rest of money (you have plenty enough) buy a good amp..IMO guitar is more important than amp..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 23 2008, 07:04 PM
it really depends on what your looking for? What music do you mostly play? what guitar bodies do you like? what sound? with this information our replies will be more efficient becausssee. right away i say two brands..

Krank

and

Schecter

biggrin.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 23 2008, 07:09 PM
Instructor
As for amps,Mesa,H&K,Laney,Marshal.Bogner...list is huge.
Always be sure to try amp by yourself,samples are fine,reviews as well,
but you MUST try it to be 100% sure if that's the amp you've been looking for.

Same idea goes with guitar. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 23 2008, 07:38 PM
Instructor
There's tons of good options when you have that amount to spend. It's hard to give a definite recommendation, but the important thing is that you buy something you will be pleased with.

But how about one of those Fender twin reverb combo tube amps? They are great for blues/rock, and really high class.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 23 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm sure you can find a pretty nice used american strat for $1200....leaving $1600 for amp & effects.

But definitely take your time. I would buy the guitar first, then choose an amp while testing it with your guitar only. That way you know exactly what your set up sounds like before you drop a good chunk of cash on your amp.

I'd leave $400 for effects, spending $1200 each on guitar and amp...but that's just me haha.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
Mar 24 2008, 01:50 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Mar 23 2008, 08:04 PM) *
it really depends on what your looking for? What music do you mostly play? what guitar bodies do you like? what sound? with this information our replies will be more efficient becausssee. right away i say two brands..

Krank

and

Schecter

biggrin.gif smile.gif

What music do you mostly play? - I mostly play blues and rock, but I also shred and play some hard metal riffs if I feel like it.
What guitar bodies do you like? - Well, the guitar body isn't really important to me. I love the LP body, I also love the Strat-like body. It really depends on how the guitar sounds like, not the form of it.
What sound? - I am looking for a blues/rock sounding guitar.

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 24 2008, 02:59 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Then I suggest to buy Amercan Fender Stratocaster guitar first..And see how much money you are left with. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Mar 24 2008, 03:10 PM
Instructor
A good starting point would be to check Fender and Marshall amps for blues/rock, and some of the Mesa's and H&K's amps are good for that kind of playing aswell smile.gif

This post has been edited by Toni Suominen: Mar 24 2008, 03:10 PM

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
Mar 24 2008, 03:34 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Mar 24 2008, 03:59 PM) *
Then I suggest to buy Amercan Fender Stratocaster guitar first..And see how much money you are left with. wink.gif

That seems to be a good idea now that I think of it. Thank you for your advice laugh.gif

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 24 2008, 03:51 PM
The Dark Canuck
I have to agree with Bogdan. Get the guitar first then worry about the amp. I'd suggest going to the guitar store playing the guitars you like through some different amps you may be interested in. Once you find your guitar then play it through the amps your interested in. You may luck out and be able to get both smile.gif If not then you'll at least know what amp you like and can start saving for it.

Best of luck to ya.

rok

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
Mar 24 2008, 05:44 PM
The thing is, the local guitar store in my town has a very limited variety of guitars (last time I was there about 2 months ago and all they had were some cheap ~$300 Slammer guitars and a Squier Strat) and amps. There is a big guitar shop in another city not too far away (~200km) so maybe when I get the chance to go to that city I will try some guitars out.

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 24 2008, 06:07 PM
SinoMan's guide to spending $2800

1) Give $2700 to SinoMan
2) Buy a Squier Strat for $100

j/k

Get a Line 6 amp dude, they rock. They sound almost like tube, but you don't have to go deaf when you want distortion.

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 24 2008, 08:21 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 23 2008, 07:09 PM) *
As for amps,Mesa,H&K,Laney,Marshal.Bogner...list is huge.
Always be sure to try amp by yourself,samples are fine,reviews as well,
but you MUST try it to be 100% sure if that's the amp you've been looking for.

Same idea goes with guitar. smile.gif

+1
Test as many amps as you can find in local music shops, and if you find one that you like, buy exactly THAT amp, cause if you order the same model somewhere else it won't sound the same, for whatever reason most amp manufacturers are still not able to produce two amps that sound the same.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
Mar 24 2008, 09:45 PM
The thing is I'm not experienced enough to know if an amp sounds good or bad as stupid as it sounds.

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 24 2008, 10:40 PM
Instructor
Just by a Strat first and don't save your money on it. Good guitar is more important then a good amp, remember that.

When you take a Strat, check some all tubers to your liking. Generally for blues&rock, Fender, MArshall or even Vox can really do the trick. Just find something in the price range you are looking for and test it of course.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Mar 24 2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor
I would buy a good rack. MAybe a Rocktron Profesy with a good poweramp and cabinet ...

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Mar 24 2008, 11:35 PM
If I were you I'd Go for a..

Guitar - Music man axis , or some parker.. I liked them both alot better than a strat in alot of respects..

Amp - So say $1500 for guitar.. that leave $1300 for amp and stuff.. I'd say get a T.C Electronics G-Major and a tube combo amp..

That way, you have all the effects you need and a nice amp too.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:04 PM