2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Recording Software, Recommendations
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 1 2008, 04:58 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Apr 1 2008, 03:05 PM) *
when i did work experience at the recording studio, they used this program called pyramix, it was great, very efficient and all, i think its quite old because they say they wanna update to pro tools,but it also means that it will be cheaper wink.gif

Unless it's changed Kevin I think there are two main versions of Pyramix - one that uses a dedicated PCi hardware DSP card plus software and one that is software only. With the former DSP one, one of the reasons why it is efficient is the integration between the dedicated card and software. Recent Pyramixes also really require a very fast front end pc - preferably quadcore. Not the only one to do this of course - there have been (and are still) a number of DSP hardware/software solutions. Any way Pyramix isn't a cheap solution - I think a basic 64 track DSP (and if you want more tracks you need more cards - each are limited to 64) costs upwards from about 8000USD. Software only is something like 1000USD and was/is limited to 48k resolution. (I don't know if Merging have improved the spec of the software only version.)

Anyway Pyramix is aimed at pro studio post production/broadcast - only time I've come across it was at a radio station btw. Not sure I would see a move to pro tools as an upgrade wrt to post production/broadcast- they're both good. Other competitors here include SADiE, which would be my choice for post production/broadcast as it's what I come across the most here. For home studios I think its only a goer if you have a lot of money and effectively want a pro end solution.

Cheers,
Tony

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Apr 2 2008, 10:07 PM
GMC:er
thanks tony, soo i guess its not cheap then sad.gif now you say i do remember they got BIG computers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 2 2008, 10:57 PM
GMC:er
It may have been mentioned but I use Guitar Tracks Pro 3. It has a lot of stuff you can do but all i do is just mic my amp and play through it other than importing/exporting audio.

It's a good program but I feel a bit like I wasted money since there are a lot of things I don't use on it. I'm hoping to get a PodXT one day and play through that, my miced amp sounds good but I hear awesome things about the pod.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 3 2008, 11:28 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Apr 2 2008, 09:07 PM) *
thanks tony, soo i guess its not cheap then sad.gif now you say i do remember they got BIG computers.

Np Kevin - when they get their new pro tools rig maybe they'll sell their Pyramix rigs off really cheap smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:37 AM