Why Do My Recordings Sound So Bad?
purple hayes
Apr 13 2009, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
I understand the very basics of recording--at least enough to be able to play over a backing track and render it to an MP3.

You can see all my YouTube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70

They guitar and bass videos are all recorded by plugging the guitar (Fender MIM Strat and Variax Bass) into my POD X3 Live which then goes into the computer via USB and into Reaper.

For distorted tones, I usually use the "Purple" patch. I think it's the default 5D patch.

Track 1 is usually the backing track. Track 2 is my guitar part.

I'll come up with what I think are decent levels then add compression (ReaXcomp) and reverb (ReaVerbate) to the main channel.

This is then rendered to MP3 format via the lame encoder.

My recordings never sound good. What am I doing wrong?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Artemus
Apr 13 2009, 02:50 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I'm checking out some of your videos. Sounds fine to me so far. Do you have any mp3s that exemplify the problem you have? Compression is a funny thing - it can do the world of good or it make a track really flat, and it's a bit mysterious (I've never understood it fully myself)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Artemus: Apr 13 2009, 03:02 PM

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 13 2009, 02:58 PM
Instructor
What exactly you don't like with your recordings? Post a sample that you don't like and tell us what you don't like about it. Also write down what you have used in making of that sample.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Apr 13 2009, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 13 2009, 09:58 AM) *
What exactly you don't like with your recordings? Post a sample that you don't like and tell us what you don't like about it. Also write down what you have used in making of that sample.

I'm glad you jumped in and commented. i guess I'm looking for ways to get that "5"-rated sound for the REC program.

This thread is a good example:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=25986

Sound was rated as 4, 4, 4, 3.5 & 3.5.

This thread could be another good example (and don't feel like I'm picking on you because you're the only one to reply so far):
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=26530

You rated the sound as a "3". That's only 60% out of a possible 100%. What can I do to get it up a lot higher?

I'll try to post some screen shots of my settings tonight when I get home.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 13 2009, 03:21 PM
Instructor
OK mate, I will do as much as I can to help. I think that there is very small different between the 3 and 5 grades if you manage to tweak the preset a bit. I gave you this grade, based on grading guidelines:

3. Fairly good tone. Nice choice of effect. A little tweaking is necessary.

What I can say is that tone is a bit too bassy (it is conflicting with other backing frequencies in the low end, and it is a bit too compressed.

Posting an audio of just your guitar with some problematic preset and giving some screens would definitely be great in determining what could be done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Apr 14 2009, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 13 2009, 10:21 AM) *
I gave you this grade, based on grading guidelines:

3. Fairly good tone. Nice choice of effect. A little tweaking is necessary.

I guess the way I look at it from the grading guidelines is that, since this is a Pass/Fail grade, anything less than a 3.5 is a FAIL grade. Again, don't think I'm picking on you because you gave me a 3. I've submitted 4 or 5 videos and it seems I'm consistently getting low marks for recording sound.

I'll try to post up some more information tonight when I get home.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 14 2009, 08:37 PM
Instructor
OK mate, I'm waiting for the audio and your comments on it, so I can try to help in raising up the audio quality.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 29 2009, 12:35 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
You also have to keep in mind that judging the audio quality can be a little tricky. The way it sounds for you on your system is not the way it sounds for me on my system, I have different speakers, this can make a huge difference. something that sounds perfectly balanced for you might have too much bass here for example, but there is nothing you could do about it since you can only judge your sound based on your system and of course on your taste. Some people like more bass, some more trebble, more or less distotion, it is all a matter of taste, at least when it comes to fine tuning.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 29 2009, 04:00 PM
GMC:er
I would test only two changes to see if your recordings sound better to you. They've helped me in mastering with more tracks than I'm seeing in use here mostly. Please do note as well: I am NOT a trained sound engineer.

1. Applying reverb to the master can lose distinction between the voices. Not all tracks want the same kind of reverb. I prefer a very different room size and diffusion for drums than I might for the lead voices as an example. Again, I am not a sound engineer but your note about your reverb stuck out as something that might be causing your issue.

2. If the compression settings are a "relatively safe" preset then look at applying parametric equalization (or at least 7-band EQ) to individual tracks, to reinforce areas of the band where that instrument should be stronger.

To help test those out, see if your DAW has a spectrometer that you can place on the master channel and watch the song through that before making any changes. Take note which parts of the band are weaker in the spectro, as well as which parts are strong. If you feel (or are told) your overall sound has too much bass, use each EQ to move instruments and voices a little farther into their proper frequency ranges.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 13 2009, 07:33 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've watched many of your REC videos, Purple Hayes, and I think you're doing an amazing job ! smile.gif Hope the instructors help you with the sound ! smile.gif By the way, I love Jimi Hendrix, but haven't really listened to many of his songs, but is your username a reference to the song "Purple Haze" ? smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:36 AM