Im Starting To Gather Up Alot Of Money And I Need Some Advice.
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 20 2007, 08:20 PM
GMC:er
Im still a tad bit scared to get a guitar with floyd rose but I think I can handle it. Anways as you may have read from the title im saving up alot of money and im on my way to getting a new guitar.

Right now im thinking of getting the Jackson KVX10 King V . Heres a great picture of it. http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,8...b1fef23fb4c.jpg

Yet im worried about buying a guitar ive never played and if anyone has ever played one a description of what iits like would be appreciated.

But im facing a difficult choice. I dont just wanna buy a step up from the guitar I have right now I want something that I can have for around a year and not have to buy another guitar to improve on the one I just bought, Does that make sense ?

This is another guitar im thinkin about getting. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sch...itar?sku=513103

The Schecter Damien Fr has great reviews and a sleek look but they dont recomend it to people not used to the floyld rose tremelo system, dry.gif Yet I still want it but are certain floyd rose trems harder to operate then others ? I dont get it.
If thats the case then could someone send me a link to other great gutiars with a simple floyd rose system.

GUITAR SHOPPING, AINT THAT A BITCH ? tongue.gif

thanks-John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gstan
May 20 2007, 09:49 PM
just a thought..... i just bought this guitar about a month ago and I'm in love.... here's a link..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=512367

the thing stays in tune even after my 15 year old...dive bombs the hell out of it.... for the price can't beat it. cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 11 2007, 07:32 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ May 20 2007, 03:20 PM) *
Im still a tad bit scared to get a guitar with floyd rose but I think I can handle it. Anways as you may have read from the title im saving up alot of money and im on my way to getting a new guitar.

Right now im thinking of getting the Jackson KVX10 King V . Heres a great picture of it. http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,8...b1fef23fb4c.jpg
Yet im worried about buying a guitar ive never played and if anyone has ever played one a description of what iits like would be appreciated.
But im facing a difficult choice. I dont just wanna buy a step up from the guitar I have right now I want something that I can have for around a year and not have to buy another guitar to improve on the one I just bought, Does that make sense ?
This is another guitar im thinkin about getting. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sch...itar?sku=513103
The Schecter Damien Fr has great reviews and a sleek look but they dont recomend it to people not used to the floyld rose tremelo system, dry.gif Yet I still want it but are certain floyd rose trems harder to operate then others ? I dont get it.
If thats the case then could someone send me a link to other great gutiars with a simple floyd rose system.
thanks-John

In one of my posts, I believe its called what guitar should i get,i was talking to pavel, and he says floyds are great. Can be a pain to change strings, but the trem is grreat. Umm, i dont have a link to a guitar, but i have a link to a lesson on UG about floyd rose trems right here:UG lesson well, hope that helped!

This post has been edited by stratman33: Jun 11 2007, 07:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 11 2007, 07:46 PM
Learning Roadie
What kind of guitar do you have right now? Can you link to an overview of it or something? I mean, if you want a real improvement over it we need to know what we're improving upon tongue.gif

And I'd suggest finding a music shop and playing them for yourself before you buy, if at all possible. Check all over it to make sure you'll be satisfied, make sure the tone/volume things aren't cheap and loose, see if you like how it feels, etc.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 11 2007, 08:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ May 20 2007, 09:20 PM) *

Most people who say Floyd Rose is a pain in the butt I guess don't know how to set it up properly. Some skilled people may have bad experiences from FR but that I can buy.
It takes some time to set it up properly for the first time.

If you get a guitar with a FR system I suggest you take your time to figure out how it works with the tension screws, the springs, the locking nuts. When you just understand how it works and you can see it infront of you, you're home free.

And, if you don't dare to take that step to get one you'll never learn, right? wink.gif

EDIT: About the Ibanez, I've got the same pu's in mine and they are alright, but just that. Or I should put it, for the guitar you're looking at (and my 320FM) they are great for that price.
About the passive EMG's I played them once in a guitar... don't remember what brand of guitar or even the exact name of the pu's - HZ, H4 something - and I HATED them. Such an ugly sound. But that's just me. I understand they are popular as stock pu's so they must be good in some way rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 11 2007, 08:14 PM

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 12 2007, 03:24 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ May 20 2007, 08:20 PM) *

thanks-John

Here is a good link that describes how to change strings, tune, etc. I don't have a FR, but it doesn't sound too difficult. I'm sure after a few times, it is not that bad if you understand why you are making certain adjustments. These explanations are very good.

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 12 2007, 03:41 AM
I appreciate the help guys! Im thinkin right now about either getting

Right now im looking at many guitars trying to pick the one thats best for me.

Ibanez Rg1570- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=519965

Ibanez Rg370 Dx-http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG370DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512368

a bunch of different strats. www.fender.com

Schecter Damien fr-http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513103

ill post more links in a little while but im tired and im gonna go to bed.

_John_

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 12 2007, 07:44 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jun 12 2007, 04:41 AM) *
Right now im looking at many guitars trying to pick the one thats best for me.
Ibanez Rg1570- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=519965

It's he prestige model, top notch, if you got the $$$ this is the real deal, a guitar you'd settle down with for the remainder of your life biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 13 2007, 12:16 AM
ok then rg1570 it is!

biggrin.gif -John

edit: Is the prestige neck like super fast to play on ?

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jun 13 2007, 12:21 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 13 2007, 05:21 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jun 12 2007, 07:16 PM) *
edit: Is the prestige neck like super fast to play on ?

Ya it is! biggrin.gif Thats the whole purpose of most Ibanez. And post pics when you get it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2007, 08:07 PM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jun 13 2007, 11:21 AM) *
Ya it is! biggrin.gif Thats the whole purpose of most Ibanez. And post pics when you get it! smile.gif

thats a myth, largely the result of the fact that most guitarists wrap their thumb. if you don't wrap your thumb around the neck, these things that people push about the ibanez-type construction don't mean much.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 13 2007, 08:43 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 13 2007, 11:07 AM) *
thats a myth, largely the result of the fact that most guitarists wrap their thumb. if you don't wrap your thumb around the neck, these things that people push about the ibanez-type construction don't mean much.

I dont follow
?

- John

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jun 13 2007, 09:12 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 13 2007, 03:07 PM) *

Hmmm....Never heard of that before....I've always heard it's about how wide or thin the neck is and how low or high the action is. With Ibanez it's thin neck and low action.....So thats what i stick to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2007, 09:36 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jun 13 2007, 02:43 PM) *
I dont follow
?
- John

most guitarists wrap their thumb, meaning they place it at the top of the neck, or even over the fret board. if you do this, and it seems like nearly everybody does, right, the deep cutaway and very slim neck is important, so you can get you hand around the thing. no, ibanez guitars are not magical.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2007, 10:07 PM
QUOTE (stratman33 @ Jun 13 2007, 03:12 PM) *
Hmmm....Never heard of that before....I've always heard it's about how wide or thin the neck is and how low or high the action is. With Ibanez it's thin neck and low action.....So thats what i stick to.

regarding action, that is a matter of the fret work, on any guitar. laws of physics apply here. if you can't set the action to the lowest possible on any make of guitar, something is wrong with the guitar's neck, or the frets need to be worked on.

edit: keep in mind that lowest action is not totally desirable. if all you ever want to do is play at 200 bps, ok, yes, critical. but you pay a price for this, with other styles of play. guitarists do not all set their action the lowest possible, nor do they all want to do so.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 13 2007, 10:19 PM

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jun 14 2007, 03:49 AM
Quote from Fkalich:"No , ibanez guitars are not magical"

Shit, this changes everything tongue.gif biggrin.gif

_John;)

edit: yeah i understand what you were saying before , i just was wondering if the prestige necks were everything they are claimed to be. And is the guitar itself a thin design ?

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jun 14 2007, 03:50 AM

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 14 2007, 04:21 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jun 13 2007, 09:49 PM) *
Quote from Fkalich:"No , ibanez guitars are not magical"
Shit, this changes everything tongue.gif biggrin.gif
_John;)

don't get me wrong. they make great guitars. they are in the elite group of quality guitars. if that is the brand i loved, that is what i would get. just on this site, it seems that people tend to get carried away with that brand.

Have you looked at harmony-central? seems like most the the reviews on that site are more well thought out than what you might see elsewhere, and made more often than not by people who have been around. you have to be careful with internet advise. there is a great deal of "the best guitar is the one i own" attitude. i feel that i have the best dog in the world. as there are about 100 million dogs in the US alone, that does not seem reasonable. But i still feel that way, very best dog in the world.

I think the important thing is to get a guitar you really love, so you don't start wanting a different guitar right away, and just concentrate on your playing. if you are just thinking about better equipment all the time, better pickups, other guitars, it really distracts you from your practice. my advice on all equipment is to get what you want, and maybe spend more than you think you were going to, if that is what it takes. always get top quality tools. don't settle for something less than what you really want, if you can save up for a few more months and then really get what you want. if you settle, you won't be satisfied. the newness will wear off, and you will pretty quickly be looking for something better.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:09 AM