Si Lick Of The Day – February 2009 – Entries
Velvet Roger
Jan 31 2009, 10:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Please go ahead and post your lick of the day entries in this thread. Please follow the instructions as lined out in this post.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 31 2009, 11:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good to see you're keeping faith in this. I'm staying at my girlfriend's house, and even though I did think about bringing my PX4D and guitar, I didn't. I won't be home untill some time mid week though. I advice all to bid in with what they have of licks though.

I wish I could in some way do something to help keep this going, while I'm away from home, as I rate this highly. Can you think of anything, Velvet?

By the way - when will the January - Finalists Licks thread be up?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 1 2009, 12:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'll be contributing regularly to this this month I hope. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 1 2009, 11:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 31 2009, 11:23 PM) *
Good to see you're keeping faith in this. I'm staying at my girlfriend's house, and even though I did think about bringing my PX4D and guitar, I didn't. I won't be home untill some time mid week though. I advice all to bid in with what they have of licks though.

I wish I could in some way do something to help keep this going, while I'm away from home, as I rate this highly. Can you think of anything, Velvet?

By the way - when will the January - Finalists Licks thread be up?

The January Finalists will be posted hopefully tomorrow or else Tuesday. We are currently voting all entries smile.gif

I am currently evaluating how to proceed with this, as currently the amount of licks submitted is rather low (might be better to go for a lick of the week until the interest in it is grown). Anyways lets see how February goes and we take it from there smile.gif.

QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 1 2009, 12:06 AM) *
I'll be contributing regularly to this this month I hope. biggrin.gif

That would be awesome, thanks Monte smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Feb 1 2009, 11:21 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Matt23
Feb 3 2009, 09:21 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
This lick starts off with an Em-add9 arpeggio. I play this with sweep picking. You may notice that I don't finish the arpeggio with an upstroke, as is normal in sweeping. This is because I am not sweeping back down the strings so there is no need for the upstroke. After this we go down the Em scale starting on D. I play the last three notes in a slightly unusual order to make the lick more interesting. I think this licks sounds best at the start or the end of a phrase though it can be played anywhere.

Attached Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This lick uses the D major pentatonic, so it can be used to a D major backing. I like to play this with quite heavy down strokes as it adds some feeling to the lick. It sounds best, in my opinion, played at the start of a phrase.

Attached Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This lick uses E mixolydian, so it sounds best played over an E7 chord, or an E mixolydian chord progression. I think it sounds best at the end of a phrase. Also pay attention to where the legato and rests are.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Matt23: Feb 3 2009, 09:23 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 12 2009, 04:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm so sorry, Velvet. I wanted to contribute, but I haven't been in all that great a mood lately, so not feeling much like doing anything at all (though I know it would help doing so.)

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Feb 17 2009, 08:36 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I would contribute too if I had a decent video recorder sad.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 17 2009, 10:11 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Come on guys, there are plenty of ppl here on the forum who could contribute with an occasional lick... currently the submission rate is dramatically low (as you all probably noticed).

Of course, if this initiative is not really appreciated, then we just have to let it go, however I heard quite a few positive comments about in during the last weeks.

Many thanks for your efforts! smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Sami
Feb 22 2009, 11:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey! I dont know if its too late but i wanna submit something!

An String Skipping Arpeggio idea in a kind of Paul Gilbert style, The chord progression is A minor -> E major -> A minor -> F major -> D minor -> C major -> B dim -> D dim -> E major -> A minor.

As you probably guessed the key is A harmonic minor, in the harmonic minor is distinctive for its 2 major chords (E and F in this case) that are separated by a minor 2nd. In the section with the B diminished chord i follow it with the next Diminished inversion a minor 3rd up, this gives you a Malmsteen neo-classical flavour to the whole progression. I use Alternate picking through out the whole thing

Attached File  GMC_SI_Lick_of_The_Day_SAMI_.gp5 ( 2.13K ) Number of downloads: 184

This post has been edited by Sami: Feb 22 2009, 11:22 PM

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 23 2009, 12:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Sami,

Much appreciated!!!!
Roger

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Sami
Feb 23 2009, 02:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
No problem smile.gif
Im definitely gonna be doing this more
I shoulda recorded in stereo though, my bad

--------------------
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

+Quote Post
Sami
Feb 24 2009, 02:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
**SORRY ABOUT THE MONO RECORDING, IM WORKING ON IT**
Even though this lick outlines the strong notes of a C major Arpeggio (the root C, the 3rd E, and the major 7th B ) i would use it over a C lydian progression. The use of the minor 2nd interval gives this lick a mysterious flavour, the kind of flavour you would get out of a Lydian progression. I have indicated the pick directions in the tab. I would usually use my pinky in this link, but i want to be able to have a strong vibrato on the last C note, so i use my ring finger instead.

Attached File  Lick_Of_The_Day_2_Sami_.gp5 ( 1.61K ) Number of downloads: 155

This post has been edited by Sami: Feb 24 2009, 02:09 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Feb 24 2009, 10:25 AM
Instructor
Sounds like an interesting subject.

This post has been edited by Aleksander Sukovic: Feb 24 2009, 11:29 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 24 2009, 10:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Sami for your 2nd contribution smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:03 PM