2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Nervous And Over Thinking, Overthinking
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 9 2013, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Far from perfect smile.gif But now - perfection in execution and no energy exchange with the audience can be a disaster in my opinion. I'd rather make mistakes, but establish a great connection with the audience and make them come back again because they crave for what they have felt, rather then caress my musician ego in telling myself how good I was onstage and how perfect I have played smile.gif But that doesn't mean I won't fight to put the best I can out there wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 9 2013, 03:02 PM
GMC:er
'Perfect' in the sense of mechanized and boring is not was I was talking about.
I mean when you put together a new project and gig it for the first time (no matter how much prep you do) the first gig is always full of mistakes, parts that you 'thought' you knew, weird external influences that you didn't take into account, the one 'ending' that didn't quite get worked on enough, forgotten lyrics, etc.
I'm also not saying that's necessarily a terrible thing - the gig as a whole can still be a relatively good gig.

In a live situation (hell, even in a recording session) one of the main things that separates pros from amateurs is the recovery speed and grace ... and you only get that from experience. Also learning the skill of not letting that first little f' up on the gig ruin your whole night.
Performance practice - there is no book and there is no substitute.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 9 2013, 03:05 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 10 2013, 08:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 9 2013, 02:02 PM) *
'Perfect' in the sense of mechanized and boring is not was I was talking about.
I mean when you put together a new project and gig it for the first time (no matter how much prep you do) the first gig is always full of mistakes, parts that you 'thought' you knew, weird external influences that you didn't take into account, the one 'ending' that didn't quite get worked on enough, forgotten lyrics, etc.
I'm also not saying that's necessarily a terrible thing - the gig as a whole can still be a relatively good gig.

In a live situation (hell, even in a recording session) one of the main things that separates pros from amateurs is the recovery speed and grace ... and you only get that from experience. Also learning the skill of not letting that first little f' up on the gig ruin your whole night.
Performance practice - there is no book and there is no substitute.

Hehe - my thoughts exactly. I experienced this fresh two weeks ago with the Pantera tribute band - made a lot of mistakes, but I felt great and the energy of the show was awesome! During the song called 'Walk' we had about 30 people onstage with us, jumping back in the crowd one by one, as they were being carried by the mob on their hands, crowd surfing - totally awesome to behold while playing biggrin.gif The more you do it, the more you learn from it - the better you become! That's a certainty!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 10 2013, 08:54 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 10 2013, 05:17 PM
GMC:er
And you also learn from those situations what it is that you 'really' need to work on in practice.
You learn what matters. Like, who cares if you play the chorus 3 times at the end instead of two.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 11 2013, 08:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 10 2013, 04:17 PM) *
And you also learn from those situations what it is that you 'really' need to work on in practice.
You learn what matters. Like, who cares if you play the chorus 3 times at the end instead of two.

Of course - I found myself making mistakes with the things that I practiced the most - some little details in some licks, like a certain ascended run or so, in the fire of the gig they didn't come out right. The stuff that I was most scared of, came out right tho. What made me happy, was that I was pretty relaxed onstage, in respect to the amount of pressure that was placed on my shoulders with the lack of time and only two rehearsals with the guys. Guess it's the way things go from a certain point on..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:02 PM