18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Get A Personal Gmc Learning Plan, This will speed up progress and give you structure
Jeroen
Mar 26 2014, 08:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 26 2014, 06:48 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

A possible stupid question laugh.gif How do I record against the original if I can not download the original to place into my DAW.

Hi liveOASISforever,

You can go to the lesson and play the main part of the lesson while you record it with Audacity or some other recording program.. Works pretty good smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 26 2014, 08:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 26 2014, 07:37 PM) *
Hi liveOASISforever,

You can go to the lesson and play the main part of the lesson while you record it with Audacity or some other recording program.. Works pretty good smile.gif

Hi Jeroen

Thanks mate. A thought a needed to get the main part of the lesson into my DAW laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 27 2014, 11:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 26 2014, 05:48 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

A possible stupid question laugh.gif How do I record against the original if I can not download the original to place into my DAW.

To be honest Cosmin I am still struggling to get to grips with timing when playing through the lesson as a whole. I am not always sure whether am to fast or to slow.

I take the following steps when learning a lesson

Learn each part of the lesson and play it over the metronome.
Listen to the original lesson multiple times to hear what is happening.
Humming over the lesson as you suggested.

I am practicing different sub divisions everyday over the metronome for 30 minutes as well.

When it comes to playing over the backing track all the parts don't fall into place. I unable to really get a feel for everything.

Even with songs I know all the lyrics to and have probably listened to hundreds of times I can not sing along on time to it.

I am never going to give up but it does feel like its something that I will never really get the hang off.

Your sense of rhythm needs more time, I guess smile.gif Don't worry, but be conscious and focused and for instance if you don't have the guitar with you and you listen to that backing - can you hum the exact guitar line or riff with the EXACT timing? The voice is far easier to control than the guitar and I am not talking about singing like David Coverdale here, but about being able to use your voice as a means to check if you can reproduce a line and respect timing and note lengths. Please try this as it will help tremendously!

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 26 2014, 07:55 PM) *
Hi Jeroen

Thanks mate. A thought a needed to get the main part of the lesson into my DAW laugh.gif

Thanks to Jeroen for sorting the answer out smile.gif Just push the record button on your cam and do a take like this - we'll see what you get and discuss over it - deal?

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 26 2014, 11:11 AM) *
Hi Cosmin, I recorded the voice of my guitar phrase by phrase to figure out if I'm playing every phrase correct. It turned out that I was still rushing some pieces. So I'll redo it tonight and see if I can improve..

I also recorded take 2 of beginners corner string bending. See REC takes.

Here's my third take on The Voice of my Guitar. I didn't submit this one as REC take yet. I want you to look at it first.

Jeroen

Hey man! This is MUCH MUCH better! You are indeed still rushing a few phrases especially in the second part, but it's nothing that can't be fixed, so please practice against the original recording a few more times and then I think we can see if it's ok to head on to the REC zone smile.gif You have made a lot of progress man!

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 27 2014, 09:21 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 27 2014, 11:00 AM) *
Thanks to Jeroen for sorting the answer out smile.gif Just push the record button on your cam and do a take like this - we'll see what you get and discuss over it - deal?

Hey man! This is MUCH MUCH better! You are indeed still rushing a few phrases especially in the second part, but it's nothing that can't be fixed, so please practice against the original recording a few more times and then I think we can see if it's ok to head on to the REC zone smile.gif You have made a lot of progress man!

What I meant is that Audacity or another recording program can digitally record what you hear through your speakers in WAV format, I didn't mean recording with a camera.

Thanks for your feedback, here is an analysis recording. You play on the left and I play on the right:

https://soundcloud.com/jeroen-van-der-put/the-voice-of-my-guitar-take3

I noticed that
0:55 phrase can be played better
1:18 and 1:27 small timing mistakes

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Mar 27 2014, 10:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 27 2014, 09:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 27 2014, 09:21 PM) *
What I meant is that Audacity or another recording program can digitally record what you hear through your speakers in WAV format, I didn't mean recording with a camera.

Thanks for your feedback, here is an analysis recording. You play on the left and I play on the right:

You forgot to put the link in there, but that's actually a really clever way of doing it. I never thought about that!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 27 2014, 08:37 PM) *
You forgot to put the link in there, but that's actually a really clever way of doing it. I never thought about that!

Hehe! Everyone learns something in this thread, eh Ben? biggrin.gif Very good approach Jeroen! I also noticed a bit of a rush around 01:58 but aside the ones you spotted, it sounds pretty solid man smile.gif Now, can you do it against the backing and keep the same great playing?

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 28 2014, 05:08 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2014, 04:51 PM) *
Hehe! Everyone learns something in this thread, eh Ben? biggrin.gif Very good approach Jeroen! I also noticed a bit of a rush around 01:58 but aside the ones you spotted, it sounds pretty solid man smile.gif Now, can you do it against the backing and keep the same great playing?

I'm going to try. Let's see how it works out. I'll play over the backing, get the camera rolling and make a REC take of it. Let's Rock!! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2014, 06:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 28 2014, 04:08 PM) *
I'm going to try. Let's see how it works out. I'll play over the backing, get the camera rolling and make a REC take of it. Let's Rock!! wink.gif

Let's rock, then! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 31 2014, 12:30 PM
Hi Cosmin

Here is a recording against the original

I think I struggle to get the 16th note palm muting part tight.Playing at 90BPM I am a lot more comfortable at it but 100BPM it just becomes more messy. I will keep practicing this with the metronome smile.gif

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Mar 31 2014, 01:02 PM

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 31 2014, 01:47 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2014, 07:02 PM) *
Let's rock, then! biggrin.gif

Hi Cosmin, the voice of my guitar is in REC takes. Time to look forward to new lessons, although I will keep the voice of my guitar in my practice routine!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2014, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 31 2014, 11:30 AM) *
Hi Cosmin

Here is a recording against the original

I think I struggle to get the 16th note palm muting part tight.Playing at 90BPM I am a lot more comfortable at it but 100BPM it just becomes more messy. I will keep practicing this with the metronome smile.gif

Hey mate smile.gif It's indeed better, but please focus on not moving your right hand around so much when picking single notes - see 0:22 where you tend to lose timing and in the following phrases it's the same smile.gif You need to move less and keep a vertical up down movement of the wrist. Right now you tend to wiggle the fingers that hold the pick and that gets you losing a lot of time!

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 31 2014, 12:47 PM) *
Hi Cosmin, the voice of my guitar is in REC takes. Time to look forward to new lessons, although I will keep the voice of my guitar in my practice routine!! smile.gif

Let's see what you got smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Mar 31 2014, 04:36 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 31 2014, 05:17 PM) *
Let's see what you got smile.gif

7 ?? The first time I recorded it, it was also a 7. I feel like I definitely improved it.. better timing, better bending. I know you want me to play it (almost) perfect. I've been practicing really hard. Many hours in this one. It's kind of frustrating, because I want to play it perfect, but I just can't seem to get it done! sad.gif

I have been playing for quite some time. I first picked up a guitar when I was 16, I played it a few years and stopped. I started again 18 years later (oct 2009) and decided to get serious about the guitar wink.gif. Now I wish I never stopped playing when I was young. mellow.gif

I always thought that my string bending and vibrato was good. But I found out that it needs serious practice.

I know what to do. I'll first start working on my vibrato technique with Ben's vibrato Odyssey and see what it brings me. In the mean time I'm also working on Winter Tune and on Dave Murray style.

Besides that I will keep on practicing on exact string bending.

Don't now if there's gonna be a new take on The Voice of my Guitar, I think I'll let it rest for now and get back to it when my vibrato and string bending is improved..

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Mar 31 2014, 07:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2014, 10:54 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif Don't be frustrated smile.gif You are doing this to yourself by trying to improve a technique and set of senses which evolve in months or even years of practice in just a few days. None of us is Superman and we should accept this.

I am being honest to you, because i want to help you, so even if you don't like it I will be like that biggrin.gif

If you want to improve a certain technique, for instance the vibrato and bending - focus indeed on Ben's series, but don't trey to perfect the lessons overnight. Enjoy the process, learn, assimilate, play and accept it takes time smile.gif

Deal?

Cosmin

QUOTE (Jeroen @ Mar 31 2014, 03:36 PM) *
7 ?? The first time I recorded it, it was also a 7. I feel like I definitely improved it.. better timing, better bending. I know you want me to play it (almost) perfect. I've been practicing really hard. Many hours in this one. It's kind of frustrating, because I want to play it perfect, but I just can't seem to get it done! sad.gif

I have been playing for quite some time. I first picked up a guitar when I was 16, I played it a few years and stopped. I started again 18 years later (oct 2009) and decided to get serious about the guitar wink.gif. Now I wish I never stopped playing when I was young. mellow.gif

I always thought that my string bending and vibrato was good. But I found out that it needs serious practice.

I know what to do. I'll first start working on my vibrato technique with Ben's vibrato Odyssey and see what it brings me. In the mean time I'm also working on Winter Tune and on Dave Murray style.

Besides that I will keep on practicing on exact string bending.

Don't now if there's gonna be a new take on The Voice of my Guitar, I think I'll let it rest for now and get back to it when my vibrato and string bending is improved..

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Apr 2 2014, 07:12 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 1 2014, 11:54 PM) *
Hey mate smile.gif Don't be frustrated smile.gif You are doing this to yourself by trying to improve a technique and set of senses which evolve in months or even years of practice in just a few days. None of us is Superman and we should accept this.

I am being honest to you, because i want to help you, so even if you don't like it I will be like that biggrin.gif

If you want to improve a certain technique, for instance the vibrato and bending - focus indeed on Ben's series, but don't trey to perfect the lessons overnight. Enjoy the process, learn, assimilate, play and accept it takes time smile.gif

Deal?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin, you are right. I need to enjoy the process of learning. I somehow feel like I have to catch up for all the lost time of the past years. But that doesn't help me, so I'll get myself together and keep on learning in a positive way.

Thanks Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 2 2014, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Apr 2 2014, 06:12 AM) *
Hi Cosmin, you are right. I need to enjoy the process of learning. I somehow feel like I have to catch up for all the lost time of the past years. But that doesn't help me, so I'll get myself together and keep on learning in a positive way.

Thanks Cosmin

Catching up is good, but if you try to run when you can only walk slowly, you will trip and hurt yourself. This is a matter that everyone is struggling with. Now, start with Ben's Vibrato series! They will offer great insight that you will later use on the Voice or other articulation based lessons smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 2 2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks for your feedback Cosmin. I am working on the advice you gave me and will have another video up soon with my progress mate smile.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 3 2014, 11:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 2 2014, 07:17 AM) *
Thanks for your feedback Cosmin. I am working on the advice you gave me and will have another video up soon with my progress mate smile.gif

Cheers

That sounds very good mate!

I'll be here to assist when the time comes smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 6 2014, 04:04 PM
Hi Cosmin

Here is another recording against the original. I am trying to reduce the movement in the picking hand. I feel that I have reduced movement in comparison to my last take but I still need to get it tighter.

The section with the chords after the 16th note rhythm I go off time. I find it hard to hear the track over my guitar but I need my guitar to be loud enough to be picked up with my iPhone camera.

It seems that this lesson is slow progress for me but hopefully once I get it down future lessons won't be so bad.

I have being focusing my practice on a lot of different things recently. The following is what I have being practicing

1)I know the shapes of the Am pentatonic but I am trying to be able to move between the shapes and improvise instead of feeling stuck in 1 or 2 shapes.
2)Learning all the notes on the fretboard which is going well.
3)Bending to pitch.Being working a lot on this recently and feel my fingers are a lot stronger.I still find it hard to bend to pitch fast and precise but with slower bends I am more accurate.I know I just need to work on the ear training and muscle memory in the fingers.
4)Learning more chords and how the chords are built up and adding this in with learning the notes of the fretboard.
5)Working with the metronome and playing different sub divisions over it at different bpms and trying to keep the movement of my picking hand short and precise.
6)Lessons that I have learned in the passed that I am trying to polish up and hopefully be able to enter the REC zone for the first time.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 7 2014, 10:45 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I listened to your take and aside that part which gives you trouble indeed - everything else sounds MUCH MUCH better! Good going! Now - in order to get the rest in shape, focus on listening to the original recording and counting over it - on which beat is every chord falling? smile.gif Once you understand things it will be easier to perform - in respect to this - I know that one of the first suggestions I wrote in your practice schedule, was the one regarding understanding the lesson that you are playing. This idea goes for EVERY aspect - timing included wink.gif

If you feel uncertain about something - count over the original recording to see where each chord/note falls into place.

Regarding the rest - everything sounds great, but please make sure you aren't trying to cram up too much in a short time interval smile.gif I would be happy to see more recordings from you, of the lessons you are planning to take into the REC zone.

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Apr 6 2014, 03:04 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

Here is another recording against the original. I am trying to reduce the movement in the picking hand. I feel that I have reduced movement in comparison to my last take but I still need to get it tighter.

The section with the chords after the 16th note rhythm I go off time. I find it hard to hear the track over my guitar but I need my guitar to be loud enough to be picked up with my iPhone camera.

It seems that this lesson is slow progress for me but hopefully once I get it down future lessons won't be so bad.

I have being focusing my practice on a lot of different things recently. The following is what I have being practicing

1)I know the shapes of the Am pentatonic but I am trying to be able to move between the shapes and improvise instead of feeling stuck in 1 or 2 shapes.
2)Learning all the notes on the fretboard which is going well.
3)Bending to pitch.Being working a lot on this recently and feel my fingers are a lot stronger.I still find it hard to bend to pitch fast and precise but with slower bends I am more accurate.I know I just need to work on the ear training and muscle memory in the fingers.
4)Learning more chords and how the chords are built up and adding this in with learning the notes of the fretboard.
5)Working with the metronome and playing different sub divisions over it at different bpms and trying to keep the movement of my picking hand short and precise.
6)Lessons that I have learned in the passed that I am trying to polish up and hopefully be able to enter the REC zone for the first time.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Apr 7 2014, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 7 2014, 10:45 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif I listened to your take and aside that part which gives you trouble indeed - everything else sounds MUCH MUCH better! Good going! Now - in order to get the rest in shape, focus on listening to the original recording and counting over it - on which beat is every chord falling? smile.gif Once you understand things it will be easier to perform - in respect to this - I know that one of the first suggestions I wrote in your practice schedule, was the one regarding understanding the lesson that you are playing. This idea goes for EVERY aspect - timing included wink.gif

If you feel uncertain about something - count over the original recording to see where each chord/note falls into place.

Regarding the rest - everything sounds great, but please make sure you aren't trying to cram up too much in a short time interval smile.gif I would be happy to see more recordings from you, of the lessons you are planning to take into the REC zone.

Thanks for your feedback Cosmin it put a big smile on my face.All advice is taking on board and I will be putting it into action smile.gif
The lesson that I feel most confident with just now is Darius's Alternate Picking Workout 2.There is a couple of things that I am working on it at the moment one being trills.It is the first time I have came across them and I am just practicing them with the metronome at a slower bpm to get them sounding even and precise. hopefully I should have it up soon once I sort out the parts I need to work on

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:32 PM