Rhythm Guitar, Not as clean as I want to
SonofDestiny
Jul 18 2008, 07:31 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I used to be pretty confident about my rhythm playing. Always thought it was allright. Now I start noticing mistakes I make though. It's so stupid... I have a hard time changing from any powerchord which uses three fingers to an A5 without making an ugly noise. It sounds pretty allright for an amateur, but I wanna get into recording music and I can't have bad noises then.

What is going to help me?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2008, 07:35 PM
Instructor
Hmm, everything is solvable don't worry. Can you post a video or audio or you playing so we can se exactly what's wrong?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 18 2008, 07:36 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I had this problem and the more i recorded the better my rhythm playing became because i was subconciously sorting out the mistakes (i think) but if you want to learn quicker then just practice very slowly and concentrate on muting open strings.

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 18 2008, 08:01 PM
I noticed it's not just the A5. It's like everytime I switch to another power chord there's this gap.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lijn_in_2_Mic_2_2008_07_18_21_09_35.wma ( 993.77K ) Number of downloads: 128

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 18 2008, 08:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jul 18 2008, 09:01 PM) *
I noticed it's not just the A5. It's like everytime I switch to another power chord there's this gap.

Needs more practicing and playing power chords,that's all. smile.gif
As said above,record yourself as much as possible,
that's the best way to notice mistakes in your playing if there are any.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 18 2008, 08:08 PM
Allright biggrin.gif Would a metronome do the trick you think?

Haha, I feel so stupid. I'm doing the soloing stuff pretty average, but the easiest chords crack me up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Jul 18 2008, 08:09 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 18 2008, 09:04 PM) *
...record yourself as much as possible,
that's the best way to notice mistakes in your playing if there are any.

There is always something to improve!!

(So big true at my playing level)

Cheers!

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 18 2008, 08:15 PM
I also noticed that my playing lacks of 'attack'. It doesn't really sound as bad ass as I want it to sound.

How should I improve that? Hit the strings harder?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2008, 08:21 PM
Instructor
Don't hit the strings harder, this will get you nowhere for now! smile.gif

For starter you have to slow down quite a bit while playing transitions. Practice a bunch of transitions, similar to my lesson here. Then, when you really feel that you play precise and confident enough, you can start building dynamics, by picking harder, softer etc..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 19 2008, 06:26 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Speed and less noise will come in time with practice..Just make sure you start slowly with a metronome and build your way up..Also you can try using Fast Fret strings conditioner , it makes them more "slippery" so there is less noise when going up and down the strings ... wink.gif
About the attack thing..You should experiment playing things from very quiet to very loud and learn to be able to control that strength (dynamics)..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 20 2008, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I can just say llika Michael Angelo Batio would have said......... Practice practice practice and practice some more

Ok... thr las one was me laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 20 2008, 12:41 AM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jul 18 2008, 08:31 PM) *
Hey guys,

I used to be pretty confident about my rhythm playing. Always thought it was allright. Now I start noticing mistakes I make though. It's so stupid... I have a hard time changing from any powerchord which uses three fingers to an A5 without making an ugly noise. It sounds pretty allright for an amateur, but I wanna get into recording music and I can't have bad noises then.

What is going to help me?

Well, the answer to your question is naturally practise. Find out where you're making the mistake, and repeat it 1000000 times, and it'll sound awesome biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 20 2008, 08:31 AM
Haha allright biggrin.gif Thanks guys, I'm on it! I've done the transitions yesterday for about 15 minutes and I noticed a lot of difference already. I haven't recorded it yet, but I feel more confident when playing em. It doesn't feel so silly and awkward anymore. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 20 2008, 05:33 PM
Instructor
No worries man, as I said, practice makes it perfect. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 20 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm so glad I found out about this problem... on the other hand... I've been performing in front of people like this. They must've had second thoughts about me when they heard me play tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 20 2008, 06:13 PM
Instructor
Don't worry too much about that, all of us, played bad in the past, it's the future we should be concetrated on smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jul 20 2008, 06:17 PM
You're right! smile.gif Thanks a lot again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 20 2008, 10:12 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jul 20 2008, 06:44 PM) *
I'm so glad I found out about this problem... on the other hand... I've been performing in front of people like this. They must've had second thoughts about me when they heard me play tongue.gif

Self realizing mistakes is a great first step towards progress! I'm really glad its working out good for you... wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:23 AM