2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Potential New Uk Resident
MattE
Nov 17 2009, 08:14 PM
GMC:er
Hey everybody smile.gif

So my question is kind of wierd, but I am considering making a fresh start in the UK. (Great Britain specifically)
But before I even consider it, I need to get a lot more information about a few things:

I'm looking for somewhere peaceful to live, but not ridiculously overpriced. I imagine I'd need to be somewhat close to a city, as I am going to school to be a Computer Scientist (software engineering), so somewhere that might be notorious for jobs like that might be helpful.

I'm not picky about placement as far as weather, proximity to a coast, etc. I'd actually prefer a mainland area

Probably need somewhere that has some form of public transportation, as when I first arrive chances are I wont have a car tongue.gif

I cant really think of anything else at the moment....

I will be the only prospect moving, so dont need ridiculously large housing tongue.gif

Thanks in advance! I will post questions as they come to me

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Nov 17 2009, 08:20 PM
Experienced Rock Star
London, London, London laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 17 2009, 08:38 PM
I might enjoy living near london, but I've heard its too much of a City Scene, so to speak

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Nov 17 2009, 08:43 PM
Jazz Instructor
Good luck, man! Since you're computer programmer, you won't have problems with job!

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 17 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks Vasilije. I sincerely hope so! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 17 2009, 09:29 PM
Any other suggestions anybody? :]

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Nov 17 2009, 10:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Maybe you should try to find a job that suits you, and then find a place in it's neighbour? Less searcheing tongue.gif UK is quite big laugh.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 17 2009, 10:06 PM
Hmm, a good idea methinks tongue.gif

Google doesnt like me when I try to search for jobs in the UK sad.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 17 2009, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Situation with jobs in the UK is very bad at the moment. Prices for living costs are too high as well. London itself is totally crazy city. Think twice smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Nov 17 2009, 11:03 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 17 2009, 09:50 PM) *
Situation with jobs in the UK is very bad at the moment. Prices for living costs are too high as well. London itself is totally crazy city. Think twice smile.gif

Emir wants london for himself laugh.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Nov 17 2009, 11:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Nov 17 2009, 10:03 PM) *
Emir wants london for himself laugh.gif

No man smile.gif I'll move somewhere within 2-3 years. I need some more sun, this is not for me smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 17 2009, 11:39 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
If your looking for somewhere not too overpriced then I`d forget London and the surrounding counties.

My suggestion would be to look more towards the North of England, not an area that I`m familar with at all with regards good areas and job prospects etc, but I would steer clear of London for sure.

Perhaps one of the other UK residents who live in the North can help you out with some suggestions smile.gif

One question though, why the UK? laugh.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 17 2009, 11:53 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Nov 17 2009, 11:30 PM) *
No man smile.gif I'll move somewhere within 2-3 years. I need some more sun, this is not for me smile.gif

Learn French / German and try Switzerland ! tongue.gif

Personnaly, I'd like to move to NYC or somewhere in North America. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Keilnoth: Nov 17 2009, 11:54 PM

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 18 2009, 01:02 AM
Hmm

And the UK because I absolutely LOVE the UK. (and I have a secret liking for British women, especially the accents.....)

I've always wanted to live there. I just never knew enough to make the attempt. So I decided I'd be more vigorous in the idea

@Keilnoth: Dont move to NYC tongue.gif Everything in NYC is way overpriced and overall its not a great place to live. I have family that lives up there (Uncle's job made him move) and they dont like it. I have also visited them there, great tourist sites, but not much else

Try somewhere like North Carolina or Virginia. Away from Hurricane area and Tornadoe area, worst storms you get are a few lightning storms here and there, not too hot, not too cold, just nice open country if you go to the right place :]

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 18 2009, 01:24 AM
QUOTE (MattE @ Nov 18 2009, 12:02 AM) *
And the UK because I absolutely LOVE the UK. (and I have a secret liking for British women, especially the accents.....)

I've always wanted to live there.

Don't expect English women to behave in the same general way as American women, there's a huge cultural difference!!
London is overpriced like NY.
Try cities like Reading, Bristol, Newcastle, Oxford or Cambridge. Lots of Computer based firms are now active in these areas.

Nice to hear that you've always wanted to live somewhere in the rain!!!
wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 18 2009, 01:36 AM
Haha I know about the culture difference. I actually prefer the English Women to the American Women

By the way, is it correct to call them English or British? I've heard one or the other is considered offensive o_o

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 18 2009, 01:40 AM
English or British is fine in England, just don't call the Scots, Welsh or Irish 'British'!!!! ohmy.gif
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

England = Britain.
Great Britain = UK = England+Scotland+Wales+Northern Ireland.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 18 2009, 01:49 AM
Ahh, I see XD

What's the weather generally like?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Nov 18 2009, 01:56 AM
QUOTE (MattE @ Nov 18 2009, 12:49 AM) *
Ahh, I see XD

What's the weather generally like?

Cold and wet. It gets colder and wetter the further north you go!
biggrin.gif

Actually I'd say climate -wise it's probably not too dissimilar from NC, where you are.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MattE
Nov 18 2009, 01:58 AM
Hmm,

Well considering how it's November and NC is still getting temperatures of around 78-84 degrees from time to time, I'm a little scared XD

But I do like the rain :] but not too much of it XD

Regular snow fall?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:26 PM