2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Do You Envy Other Players?
Jim S.
May 20 2014, 09:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
I had a friend (john) who played guitar and he played opposite of my style. He had a nice solid rhythm and could effortlessly sing and play anything. So effortlessly that it didn't make sense because he wasn't into practicing or learning just playing and having fun. I wanted to practice what it took to get that comfortable and it drove me nuts because it was so hard for me.

I asked John, "how did you get to this level?" He said, "it comes very natural to me, some people it's easy and others must practice."

I agree that John had a more natural talent for singing and playing guitar and that made me want to work harder. I wouldn't lie and that I wasn't envious at all but I would say because of him he pushed me further.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2014, 07:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ May 20 2014, 08:23 PM) *
I had a friend (john) who played guitar and he played opposite of my style. He had a nice solid rhythm and could effortlessly sing and play anything. So effortlessly that it didn't make sense because he wasn't into practicing or learning just playing and having fun. I wanted to practice what it took to get that comfortable and it drove me nuts because it was so hard for me.

I asked John, "how did you get to this level?" He said, "it comes very natural to me, some people it's easy and others must practice."

I agree that John had a more natural talent for singing and playing guitar and that made me want to work harder. I wouldn't lie and that I wasn't envious at all but I would say because of him he pushed me further.

Very interesting story and I relate very much to it, simply because I am in the position in which I need to practice singing and playing like hell. That is what I do in the band and what I have been doing with the guitar as a main practice activity for the last 2 years.

You know, the funniest thing is that when I was a kid, I was singing and playing ALL DAY LONG, then came the shredding/virtuoso madness and I left that singing/playing thing aside for about 9-10 years. BIG mistake smile.gif Well, all is not lost and I am slowly getting there! How are you faring with singing and playing? I mean what's the most difficult song for you? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
May 21 2014, 03:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 21 2014, 01:51 AM) *
Very interesting story and I relate very much to it, simply because I am in the position in which I need to practice singing and playing like hell. That is what I do in the band and what I have been doing with the guitar as a main practice activity for the last 2 years.

You know, the funniest thing is that when I was a kid, I was singing and playing ALL DAY LONG, then came the shredding/virtuoso madness and I left that singing/playing thing aside for about 9-10 years. BIG mistake smile.gif Well, all is not lost and I am slowly getting there! How are you faring with singing and playing? I mean what's the most difficult song for you? smile.gif

Honestly I never practiced it much. I always paid attention to the guitar solos. Big Mistake. This day I am understanding that songs have words and meaning. It's hard to hear words In a song. I have made about 5 full songs with me singing and it's hard because my head wants to take my voice where it can't go.

One point though. I played in a band a while back and no one was taking front man. I took it and was allowed to do what I wanted which was scary but cool. I began singing and playing and I felt confident as the weeks went on. I'd say wow I'm standing here singing and now I can play a solo over a song I made..... F yeah!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 21 2014, 05:20 PM
Instructor
Interesting stories Jim and Cosmin. I can feel a connection with me because every day I feel more the necessity of singing. I'm not the singer in my band and that's why I focused on guitar playing and composition in the last 10 years, but nowadays I have the feeling that I need to thing, to express things, say things in my own compositions... I'm not a natural talented vocalist so I'm training my voice, exploring it, to finally find it. The process is very enjoyable. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 21 2014, 07:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don't like watching videos of 5 year olds who play better than me. It makes me wish I had started playing young, and there is nothing I can do about that, so I just avoid plaguing myself with impossibilities. Sometimes I'll see a video of a kid doing something amazming on another instrument that really doesn't bother me because it's not my instrument, but keep them away from guitar ! :/

haha.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2014, 09:45 PM
Instructor
I think that learning how to use your voice should be compulsory regardless of the instrument you play. It's the most natural instrument which you an take with you anywhere you go smile.gif Pretty amazing huh?

I am singing almost daily now and it feels totally great to be able to take a song and make it sound like me biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:23 AM