Funny Thing About Djent
ElHombre
Nov 4 2013, 08:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi guys

I like this style and rythm lot, I take inspiration from it for my own playing and songs.
But I am just a little annoyed by one thing xD

Why does every Djent band have a name that ends on "s" or "es" ?
Like structures, Volumes etc etc.
And why does everyone do this tapping thing in their riffing?

Well I just have not seen such a similarity in amongst new bands in a genre except for pop xD

Dont get me wrong in this they are all great bands and such, just a funny thing biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2013, 06:07 AM
GMC:er
Which tapping thing?

smile.gif

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Nov 4 2013, 03:10 PM) *
Hi guys

I like this style and rythm lot, I take inspiration from it for my own playing and songs.
But I am just a little annoyed by one thing xD

Why does every Djent band have a name that ends on "s" or "es" ?
Like structures, Volumes etc etc.

Well I just have not seen such a similarity in amongst new bands in a genre except for pop xD

Dont get me wrong in this they are all great bands and such, just a funny thing biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 5 2013, 09:10 AM
Instructor
Three smilar licks repeated all the time biggrin.gif He probably meant that it has to be everywhere...like people playing djent could not live without it biggrin.gif

I understand You perfectly. Aside from band who were sort of leaders for that genre, many of new bands coming out and sounding,playing just the same. Waiting for someone to make a breakthrough smile.gif

P.S You forgot to add "se" - Disperse tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 5 2013, 10:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ElHombre @ Nov 4 2013, 08:10 PM) *

I know exactly what you mean ! tongue.gif

I guess fashion is fashion, wherever you find it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2013, 11:34 PM
I still have no idea what you mean sad.gif Can you maybe post a vid of a song using this technique?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 5 2013, 05:40 AM) *
I know exactly what you mean ! tongue.gif

I guess fashion is fashion, wherever you find it smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Nov 6 2013, 01:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
This will be a pretty bad example since this playing actual was creative and amazing I think! smile.gif
But there is still a little of the line I spoke about: Band name "reflections" typical djent name.
And of course like on every djent video it says "official guitar playtrough"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LEyduArp3c
There you have it, 1:10. This tapping was really good though, a lot of songs tap a few notes and then its back to the 7 string

And yeah as mentioned earlier this was just a funny thing or "line" I found amongst these bands
This band and many others are amazing players

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 7 2013, 02:00 AM
AHHH!!! Yup smile.gif That has become the Cliche "djent" thing in a big way. The "Fashion Ticks" of Djent have become pretty wide spread as wads of emo bands try to sound like Periphery trying to sound like Meshuggah smile.gif

I don't blame the fans though. Like fans from any era they play what they hear and like. I have noticed a distinct similarity of tone and note choice become so pervasive as to really blur the line between bands. Usually, it's at that point that something new breaks through and resets the ears/standards. I think we are pretty close to that time actually smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (ElHombre @ Nov 5 2013, 07:32 PM) *
This will be a pretty bad example since this playing actual was creative and amazing I think! smile.gif
But there is still a little of the line I spoke about: Band name "reflections" typical djent name.
And of course like on every djent video it says "official guitar playtrough"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LEyduArp3c
There you have it, 1:10. This tapping was really good though, a lot of songs tap a few notes and then its back to the 7 string

And yeah as mentioned earlier this was just a funny thing or "line" I found amongst these bands
This band and many others are amazing players

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 7 2013, 12:13 PM
Instructor
You know what's funny? smile.gif I am curious when this whole down tuning trend will reverse... what if, WHAT IF, one day one guy will become famous for up tuning, starting from E standard up, I mean... ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 9 2013, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 7 2013, 12:13 PM) *
You know what's funny? smile.gif I am curious when this whole down tuning trend will reverse... what if, WHAT IF, one day one guy will become famous for up tuning, starting from E standard up, I mean... ? smile.gif

laugh.gif haha

--
back to djent;i don't dislike it. it doesn't sound bad, but after you listen to a few "djent" bands, they just all sound the same to me. tongue.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 9 2013, 09:52 PM
Instructor
According to Your thinking direction Cosm I think somday it will be famous to play on 4 strings instead of 6 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 10 2013, 02:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Nov 9 2013, 08:52 PM) *
According to Your thinking direction Cosm I think somday it will be famous to play on 4 strings instead of 6 biggrin.gif

Wanna see something mate? biggrin.gif There are AT LEAST two famous guys that did this:

Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit

Max Cavalera

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:48 AM