Gibson Les Paul Studio (fireburst), Seriously considering buying one
Guitarist16
Sep 18 2008, 02:12 AM
GMC:er
Hey Gmcers,
So i am pretty sure that i am going to buy Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst), all i have left to do is try it out and buy it this weekend. My friend said their necks though are slow. So my question is how can a guitars neck be slow? i know the les paul necks are pretty fat, but is that it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
inertia
Sep 18 2008, 02:51 AM
I believe the new studios use a '59 neck, they are fatter than the 60's neck but are still quite fast, they definitely aren't as fat as you would see on a custom. Neck speed generally refers to how skinny the neck as far as I know, and if you look at some of the instructors we have use studios and play quite fast actually haha... yes there are guitars with faster necks, ibanez is quite famous for having ridiculously fast necks, but how skinny a neck is isn't everything...ultimately you want to try it out and see what you like best, many players prefer the 50's neck over the 60's
you won't go wrong with a les paul studio, great guitar

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 18 2008, 04:19 AM
agree with the above. i have 8 guitars, including a Parker with graphite neck, and thin neck Strat, Firebird, and SG. I consider my 58 Reissue Les Paul as easy to play as any.

When people say fast, I have no idea what they are talking about. I think that is just some meaningless mantra that they keep repeating, sort of like butt naked aboriginal natives dancing around a campfire chanting. They think what they are saying means something also.

The only issue is where the neck attaches. You get used to it, and then don't need a cutout there. It means nothing to me now, although when I just began 2 years ago, I would have been attracted to it (were it not for Jimmy Page being the most significant guitarist in history). I also have a theory that the problem a lot of guys hare having with their hands is due to those types of guitars, that the Les Paul type is much healthier for your hands. I am pretty sure of that.

And you will get stronger. I figure it is better to play something that will make you stronger. You can always move to something more tapered later. But you probably won't, I always revert back to my Les Pauls, they just sound better, and sustain better.

Fair and balanced analysis.

edit: I like the fireburst studios, that is my favorite color of that line. black is my second. unless you get the Premium ++ where you see the flamed AAA top, but those cost more.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 18 2008, 04:38 AM

+Quote Post
Jeff
Sep 18 2008, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 17 2008, 10:19 PM) *
I think that is just some meaningless mantra that they keep repeating, sort of like butt naked aboriginal natives dancing around a campfire chanting. They think what they are saying means something also.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Sep 18 2008, 07:05 AM
Instructor
I think it also depends a bit on size of your hands. I have quite small hands and prefer rather think necks (but not as thin as Wizards neck from Ibanez). Also check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spWLZ4aUfuY . It doesen't seem like Les Paul is slowing him down tongue.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 18 2008, 07:52 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 18 2008, 05:19 AM) *
When people say fast, I have no idea what they are talking about.

I second that sort of, I know what they refer to as low action and skinny neck makes Freddie shred like a demon. But if that adds someting in reality is a different matter. In 99% of the cases I think the limitation sits in the player and not in a stubby neck so for the most case a thin neck will add nothing regarding speed, but a little bit regarding being easy to handle and it will cut a lot of tone.
If "fast" is what someone strives for and choose a guitar with a skinny neck and sets the action low, well, ok, maybe some milliseconds are gained, I admit to that if the player is teriffic, since a thin neck is easier than a fat one. But for what purpose?

Moving the fret hand through thin air would be the fastest, can't beat that really speedwise. Talk about fast! But how about tone? Was that forgotten along the way on the hunt for speed. It sure was, a thin neck will never ever deliver a tone that's even close to the full tone of a fatter neck with high action. And to combine a thin neck with low action to further kill the tone... I guess most speed kings don't realize that part. Or they do and are willing to sacrifice tone for speed.

A real blues player has the action set so high he can bend under the other strings on the higher frets cool.gif
And even Yngwie has a high action since he wants lots of sustain and he's still fast.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 18 2008, 08:40 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I can't imagine it's got a "slow" neck.
I've got pretty small hands and my Gibson with a rounded neck plays like butter smile.gif

And it's a great guitar, I don't think you'll be dissapointed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Noangels
Sep 18 2008, 12:05 PM
None of my guitars slow me down in the slightest,and I think the LP necks are a joy to play.I think LP's have an image for hard rock and a lot of guitarists these days see super strats as shred machines.
couldnt be further than the truth
You get a good guitar and its gonna play good,get an old dog and thats another matter

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 18 2008, 01:27 PM
Hm, I own a SG with a 50s neck and a Les Paul Standard with a 60s neck. As a matter of preference I prefer the slimmer 60s neck. I would play ALL the Les Pauls you can - even ones WAY out of your price range, find what feels best. If you need to save for another year do it, get the guitar that melts in your hands....

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 18 2008, 02:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Doesn't seem to slow him down either^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQWCH9ffY3k

It's all up to you and not the neck

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Sep 20 2008, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (Guitarist16 @ Sep 17 2008, 09:12 PM) *
Hey Gmcers,
So i am pretty sure that i am going to buy Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst), all i have left to do is try it out and buy it this weekend. My friend said their necks though are slow. So my question is how can a guitars neck be slow? i know the les paul necks are pretty fat, but is that it?

"Slow" has almost become a meaningless term. Some people are obsessed with finding the thinnest neck possible, becase its "fast" but, in reality, a guitar with a flat neck would be impossible to play. The les paul necks are comfortable, and fast really refers to your fingers and how they feel around the guitar as you play. So you should have a reasonable curve to the guitar neck. Whatever you buy, I think it will be fine anyway. I tried out about 30 guitars at a shop one week and none of them felt "fast". Just comfortable. And in my opinion, I would go with the LP studio. I think the arch top and chambered body really make a difference on that one. Best guitar I've ever played.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
Guitarist16
Sep 20 2008, 03:28 PM
Wow thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it. I am buying it today and adding a screw less pick guard. Its going to be great. Thanks again for all the insight.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 20 2008, 10:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Guitarist16 @ Sep 20 2008, 04:28 PM) *
Wow thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it. I am buying it today and adding a screw less pick guard. Its going to be great. Thanks again for all the insight.

Congrats mate , that is a very very good instrument and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it! Post some pictures and impressions when you get it! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:34 PM