4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
So...brexit
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2016, 04:08 AM
GMC:er
Island Party!! smile.gif Sounds like paradise. Lots of guitars/amps, Scotch, etc. smile.gif I think it should be GMC world headquarters. I'd like to visit the somewhat nearby Scottish/English border area where my long lost relatives (Border Rievers, E.G. Robbers and horse thieves) started out before making their way to the States smile.gif

A huge chunk of them ended up in Appalachia which is oddly where I was born smile.gif The most common Riever name was "CUMBERLAND" and even odder still, I ended up attending "Cumberland College" in the hills of Appalachia before I knew anything about my family history. It seems most families left all of their history in Europe before making the crossing. At least mine appeared to smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 1 2016, 04:44 PM) *
for sure! It wouldn't be the same without a few crazy sassenachs biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 2 2016, 04:31 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 2 2016, 10:51 AM

Britain's leaving the EU has a lot in common with what we see in the US, a movement toward isolationism, putting up walls, protectionism. The key factor with Britain and the EU is not immigration, that was just a propaganda selling point. The key factor is the end of Britain's participation in a treaty that established free markets.

There is nothing new under the sun, this song has been sung before, and it never ends well. Protectionism just makes everything worse for several logical reasons, and degenerates into global "beggar they neighbor" policies. In fact, this was the precipitant for the deep slide and sustained depression after the famous 1929 crash.

I found a good short explanation for why protectionism invariably fails, just makes things worse. The author a professor at Princeton, he holds a chair. Basically I just wanted a quick refresher myself, but I thought I would share it.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/FreeTrade.html

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 2 2016, 11:16 AM
More excuses. E.U. open borders just a propaganda campaign - go right on and believe that. We've also learned how Free Trade screws over a country when it's not fair trade and corporations use the treaties to fill the pockets of share holders as opposed to building the infrastructure of a nation. Just as Ross Perot warned when he ran as an independent. They called him a loon (because he had a thick southern accent) but he turned out a prophet.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 2 2016, 11:38 AM
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 2 2016, 05:16 AM) *
More excuses. E.U. open borders just a propaganda campaign - go right on and believe that. We've also learned how Free Trade screws over a country when it's not fair trade and corporations use the treaties to fill the pockets of share holders as opposed to building the infrastructure of a nation. Just as Ross Perot warned when he ran as an independent. They called him a loon (because he had a thick southern accent) but he turned out a prophet.

In the article I referenced, by an esteemed professor at one of the top universities in the world, with much experience both in the private and public sectors, he states the well known reasons to the contrary. So what exactly can you dispute?

As an example, he states....

"Third, there are the little-understood, but terribly important, effects of trade barriers on the value of the dollar. If we successfully restrict imports, Americans will spend less on foreign goods. With fewer dollars offered for sale on the world’s currency markets, the value of the dollar will rise relative to that of other currencies. At that point unprotected industries will start to suffer because a higher dollar makes U.S. goods less competitive in world markets. Once again, America’s ability to export is harmed."

That is just one point, among many. Economist have known this for centuries, the trade barriers simply do more harm than good to the overall public. Yes there are problems, but that is not the solution. Brexit was not the solution, as Britain will soon learn.

B.t.w., most Republicans in congress hold a similar view, that barriers to trade are undesirable. There are reasons Trump is held in as much contempt by most of the leadership in his own party, as much as by Democrats.

I don't know how this will all end, I would never have believed that Britain would do something as foolish as exit the EU. I would not have dreamed 10 years ago that someone like Trump could ever be elected, but if it could happen in Britain, it could happen here. When things like this start to trouble me, I just think...."Doris Day had it right".

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 2 2016, 11:43 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 2 2016, 06:25 PM
Bingo smile.gif I had the same exact thought. It's not just us though, this trend is Global. Folks are trending towards the nationalistic and isolationistic point of view currently as a result of (imho) continued downward pressure on wages and export of good paying jobs. The frustration and anger and job losses are quite real. The results are what we are seeing now. That's my analysis anyway smile.gif

Great article BTW. I hope folks on the other side of the issue will actually take time to read it as it spells out pretty everything wrong with the decision to leave (Sadly it's written by an "Expert" and folks don't seem to trust them, and he's an "Academic/Elite" which further undermines his cred in the eyes of many folks which is kinda sad). I support freedom, etc. But I also support rational approaches to economic growth and isolationism isn't one of them sad.gif Slogans and talking points do not make for good economic policy imho sad.gif

Here is a GREAT qoute from the article for folks who might skip it.

" To think that we can forestall the inevitable by closing our borders is to participate in a cruel self-deception."

Todd

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 2 2016, 05:51 AM) *
Britain's leaving the EU has a lot in common with what we see in the US, a movement toward isolationism, putting up walls, protectionism. The key factor with Britain and the EU is not immigration, that was just a propaganda selling point. The key factor is the end of Britain's participation in a treaty that established free markets.

There is nothing new under the sun, this song has been sung before, and it never ends well. Protectionism just makes everything worse for several logical reasons, and degenerates into global "beggar they neighbor" policies. In fact, this was the precipitant for the deep slide and sustained depression after the famous 1929 crash.

I found a good short explanation for why protectionism invariably fails, just makes things worse. The author a professor at Princeton, he holds a chair. Basically I just wanted a quick refresher myself, but I thought I would share it.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 2 2016, 06:32 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 3 2016, 03:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 2 2016, 06:25 PM) *
Great article BTW. I hope folks on the other side of the issue will actually take time to read it as it spells out pretty everything wrong with the decision to leave (Sadly it's written by an "Expert" and folks don't seem to trust them, and he's an "Academic/Elite" which further undermines his cred in the eyes of many folks which is kinda sad).

Maybe because it is the "elites" and "experts" that have screwed everything up

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2016, 06:49 AM
So you didn't read the article either then? sad.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 2 2016, 10:45 PM) *
Maybe because it is the "elites" and "experts" that have screwed everything up

BTW I really found the article to be very thought provoking and full of factual, objective, analysis and information. I really do hope that folks take the time to read it and understand a bit more about the wheels of commerce. I hope you don't mind but I shared it on my facebook page. I credited you as the source but didn't use a name, just "Music Student" smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 2 2016, 05:51 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 3 2016, 06:50 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 3 2016, 10:07 AM
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 7 2016, 06:18 AM
The guy who LEAD THE BREXIT QUITS!!!!! That's just perfect. First he whips up the electorate. Get's what he wants, then he throws up his hands and quits. Nice.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 3 2016, 05:07 AM) *
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 7 2016, 09:36 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 7 2016, 06:18 AM) *
The guy who LEAD THE BREXIT QUITS!!!!! That's just perfect. First he whips up the electorate. Get's what he wants, then he throws up his hands and quits. Nice.

TBF though he wasnt even part of the official leave campaign. Although that bass cover is excellent!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:33 PM