4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Grappa's Bootcamp, You Walk The Path of The Warrior!
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2016, 11:24 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video of you playing the bit along with a METRONOME or DRUM click in the background so that I can hear if your on beat or not, and embed it as a post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

After that proceed to MISSION #2. Here is a link to all of the missions. All 400+ of them.
http://bit.ly/twtgmc

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!
bit.ly/grappasbootcamp
Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 12 2016, 11:27 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grappa
Oct 16 2016, 12:59 PM
Learning Roadie
Todd,

Hope all is well.

Here's my first go at AP #1. I've really changed my technique after reading the various bits on the site. Previously I wasn't angling the pick much and was using the fleshy part of my right hand thumb to mute (which was leading to me having the pick at a strange angle and me finding hard to move from higher to lower strings as the pick was catching the lower string I was moving to). Feels a little strange but getting better.

https://youtu.be/FXFU-ST___o

Let me know what you think..

Si

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2016, 07:48 PM
Well played!!! You are about to "LEVEL UP" and get you first badge. One thing I need you to do is Insert/Embed your very spiff vid (well produced btw). I've made a short vid on how to do this. It's a very simple process.

Using the "Insert VIDEO" function

QUOTE (Grappa @ Oct 16 2016, 07:59 AM) *
Todd,

Hope all is well.

Here's my first go at AP #1. I've really changed my technique after reading the various bits on the site. Previously I wasn't angling the pick much and was using the fleshy part of my right hand thumb to mute (which was leading to me having the pick at a strange angle and me finding hard to move from higher to lower strings as the pick was catching the lower string I was moving to). Feels a little strange but getting better.

https://youtu.be/FXFU-ST___o

Let me know what you think..

Si

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 16 2016, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post
Grappa
Oct 16 2016, 10:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Sorry about that!

Hopefully this works a little better.

Simon

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 17 2016, 11:22 PM
Congrats Soldier!! WELCOME TO BOOTCAMP!!! You have drawn FIRST BLOOD!!!

Let's debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Maintained splendid palm mute / right hand control.
2.)Maintained tight and precise picking.
3.)Maintained control of each strike and it's timing.

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

You are ready for the next MISSION and all that follow. You have a strong foundation and good technique. Give em Hell Soldier!!!!

QUOTE (Grappa @ Oct 16 2016, 05:19 PM) *
Sorry about that!

Hopefully this works a little better.

Simon

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 17 2016, 11:40 PM

+Quote Post
Grappa
Oct 23 2016, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Reporting for duty Sarge!

See following for exercise #2

And I've been working hard on exercise #1 and here it is at 170 bpm - insane! Never thought I'd ever get to be able to do this...

Regards,

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 23 2016, 10:01 PM
Look at him go!! Nicely fought Soldier!! Let's look at MISSION 2 first. You have made very impressive gains in a very short time and have a good handle on the basic techniques required to make it through these 400+ Missions. Chief among these is a tough mental attitude that presupposes a certain, almost defiant level, of persistence. It's this, more than anything else, that will serve you on your journey!

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise Pick Control (Not swinging to wide or to shallow)
2.)Good Palm Mute (Planted right hand and using the pinky to help out)
3.)Aggressive style and use of Tone. (Can't have too much of either!)

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image

UPDATE ON MISSION #1

Great to see you keeping working on previous missions!!! Adding previous missions in to your practice regime, and or your warmup routine, is a great way to sharpen your skills and get better and better without stopping to learn a new bit. Repetition is always the key smile.gif Of course, you'll learn new bits constantly as you go, but keeping the bits you learned in the missions as warmups/workouts, will let you focus on precision and get results like this. Well done smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Grappa @ Oct 23 2016, 03:40 PM) *
Reporting for duty Sarge!

See following for exercise #2

And I've been working hard on exercise #1 and here it is at 170 bpm - insane! Never thought I'd ever get to be able to do this...

Regards,

Si

+Quote Post
Grappa
Oct 30 2016, 09:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Excercise #3 for review.

Apologies for the vid quality but having some issues with my webcam at the moment..

This one's a tricky one (aren't they all!). Very easy to not pick all three notes and pull off before the string change..

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2016, 06:23 AM
I can't help but start off with WELL PLAYED!!! Also, that's a very spiff AXE you have there, is it a PRS? Also, what is your signal chain? Amp/Plugins? Either way, sounds nice, and video quality is more than fine smile.gif

Let's Debrief...

This MISSION is "UNRELENTING" is requires you to NEVER miss a beat. You have to plant your next finger and strike in less than a beat. That's part of what makes it such a challenge to play without fumbling the pick all over the place. Let me say you NAILED IT!!!! This bodes well for your future lessons Soldier!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)USING THE PINKY!! : Warms my heart to see a Soldier make use of PINKY!! It's our weakest finger and needs the most work!! It pays off though!

2.)Solid as a RAWWWWKK: Your playing is nice and steady, very even. I always say, "You gotta learn to play like a Robot, in order to Shred like a God". That is to say you have to learn to play with distinct, and even, pacing, before you can dance around the notes and the beat.

3.)Maintaining a good right hand position through the entire Battle! You didn't tense up!! You didn't drift the hand! Nice!!! You show great promise Soldier!!! ATTACK THE NEXT FEW LESSONS!! Make yourself a personal promise that you will make it to a certain point by XMAS. I leave it up to you!!!

In short, ...

You Sir have just.....

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Grappa @ Oct 30 2016, 04:43 PM) *
Excercise #3 for review.

Apologies for the vid quality but having some issues with my webcam at the moment..

This one's a tricky one (aren't they all!). Very easy to not pick all three notes and pull off before the string change..

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 31 2016, 06:24 AM

+Quote Post
Grappa
Nov 1 2016, 02:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Todd,

Thanks for this.

Now I've got into the swing of things I'm going to get serious with the metronome and start to push the tempos a little more with all of the exercises - this should start to push me into some new territory and hopeful I'll start to make some further gains.

I have to say the one thing that I have been historically weak in executing is 'outside' picking i.e. 3nps starting on a downstroke (the classic Gilbert exercise springs to mind!). Inside picking just feels a lot more natural. I watched some interesting stuff on Youtube about up/down pick slanting and the need to incorporate this into the picking motion in order to get to Gilbert/MAB sort of speed for 3 NPS scales. Since I've rearranged my picking hand orientation I'm hoping to improve on this but haven't focused on it at all given that all of the exercises to date have been geared to 'inside' motion. Some hints here would be useful..

On the guitar front it's a PRS/Les Paul hybrid I had made for me about 10 years ago. Whilst it looks outwardly like a PRS it's build very much in the LP vain; thicker mahogany body, stop TP etc. so for me is the best of both worlds. It was made by well respected luthier in the UK and it plays and sounds lovely.

From a signal chain perspective I use a Sonicore Xite-1 interface and run Scuffham Amps S-Gear 2 amp VST plug ins in Reaper for the tones I use for the stuff I post here. It's not worth micing stuff up and the fact I do lots late at night mean that I can do it without the wife killing me!

I'm a bit of a valve amp junkie and unlike most guitarists my amp/speaker collection exceeds my guitar collection by some magnitude. I've got the Strat/Tele/LP tones covered so for me everything else is about the rest of the chain! I can't see the amp bug stopping any time soon - I spent the last two days building a Fender 5E3 Deluxe circuit amp..sounds so sweeeeeeet.

Speak soon,

Si

This post has been edited by Grappa: Nov 1 2016, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2016, 11:02 AM
I've seen a LOT of vids on how various players angle their pick. I personally just use the very tip of the pick and usually don't angle it very much at all. However, I think the instinctive principle is important here as each player is different. If you find angling the pick a certain way helps you play better, that's a good thing smile.gif I fear it may have gotten more press than it actually deserves. I would suggest using a very thick pick. 1.0mm or better and making sure it comes very sharp/pointy from the factory or get a sharp pocket knife and sharpen it, like you would a pencil. Then choke up on your grip on the pick. So that only the tip is exposed to the string. Then only strike the string with the very edge of the pick. This reduces the need to even consider the angle as only the very tip is ever touching the string and it's strike point is similar from nearly any angle.

I've used many picks over thy years. I used to sharpen them myself. Then I had a custom VPICK made by vpicks and it works great. Then a GMCer named VONHOTCH made me a pick out of alluminum with a huge hole in the middle and I"ve used it quite a bit ever since. It never gets dull and needs resharpening as it's metal. smile.gif Handy eh?

Here is a link to the switchblade pick I worked with Vinnie @ Vpicks to design. These are very handy smile.gif Nice and stiff, no flex.
http://www.v-picks.com/product/switchblade/
Attached Image

Flex is your enemy when trying to play with any precision IMHO. When the pick bends, you have lost control of it and when dealing with millisecond pick strikes, (as we are heading towards in our Missions) The time it takes for the pick to flex back is time that it should be hitting the next string. Playing Paul Gilbert style bits really does almost require a nice stiff, pointy pick. Unless you happen to be paul gilbert in which case you can probably do it with an old shoe or something. smile.gif

The Von Hotch picks are custom made, like the Vpicks, by hand. They are just killer. However, VonHotch has a real world job and just does picks on the side for pals and GMC folks so it's not a big production. There are not many of these picks on earth and having one is special thing IMHO smile.gif They used to cost $20 each but he's found ways to get the cost down quite a bit. Each one is made to the owners taste. The good news is that even the very thin ones have ZERO flex and stay sharp always. You may notice some aluminum dust on your thumb after playing which is just the strings and the pick reacting. I love these things. I even like them thick, about 4.0 mm. They glide over the strings. However, even at .5 mm they are nice and stiff and sharp/pointy. Dull, thin picks are your enemy at this point IMHO. Once you get though these missions, you may decide you want to be a blues player and then thin picks are a very handy thing. They let you play in a looser fashion and chordality is a bit easier during lead passages partially due to the flex in the pick.

However, SHRED BOOTCAMP is not about playing loose blues. It's about precision. For precision you really need a sharp/pointy pick smile.gif Here is my collection of VonHotch picks. Some are made from Plastic, most are Aluminum. All are killer smile.gif You can find him on facebook and have one made if you like. smile.gif

Attached Image

I started out using clayton picks and sharpening them to a nice rounded point. Here is a picture of how I hold the pick. It never really changes.
Attached Image

Notice how far I'm choked up on the pick, I try to only expose the sharp/pointy bit to the strings. At that point, "angle" is largely beside the point imho as the only thing hitting the string is the point/tip of my pick no matter what angle my hand is at. So whatever angle is comfy is the one to use. I don't one is better than another, just whatever is comfy. Though I have seen wads of vids/posts about this. I still say, go with comfy smile.gif

Here is a vid demo of me shredding away. Notice that my pick angle is pretty much straight on. You can't really see the pick as I'm so choked up on it that only the tip/point is available to the strings. Notice that I don't ever really change the "angle" to play a different bit. It's just not really needed. We will work more on this as we proceed through the missions.

Watch the fast bit toward the end on this one. My pick is vertical to the strings for the part where I'm doing a two string traverse Paul Gilbert Lick. I"m using economy picking here. That is, two down strokes in a row when going from B to high E. That is the secret sauce my friend. Using the natural motion of the hand. When going higher, might as well use down strokes. I use alt picking typically on descending licks, as it just feels more comfy smile.gif

Thanks for the rig rundown btw and I dig the Scuffham amps simps as well smile.gif Actually was emailing him back and forth before the last version came out. I was asking him to put a parametric eq before the first gain stage and he said he might in the next version, which would be handy smile.gif

BTW what pick did you say you were using?

Todd

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 2 2016, 11:13 AM

+Quote Post
Grappa
Nov 2 2016, 12:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Todd.

I use a JD Jazz III which has a bit of a rounded tip by default. I've sharpened this up a bit and it feels a lot more controlled. I've also got some JD 1mm Ultex sharp picks which I will try out and see how they feel.

I do hold the pick fairly close to the tip (but not as close as you) and will try to see how a change in pick grip influences things.

Onwards and updwards..

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2016, 09:25 PM
I'm honestly thrilled to hear you use a Jazz III smile.gif It's the gateway drug to super stiff super pointy picks. They are quite handy smile.gif The only problem is the material used. It's not quite as stiff as it could be but they make a version of that pick that is made of something else and is stiff as a board. But for these first 10 missions that pick is a fine choice. I was worried you were going to say I use a standard .05 jd turtle pick smile.gif Thank God.

The "choking up on the pick" is the secret sauce that makes the "angle" thing a pinch of a moot point IMHO. When you are choked up far enough to only expose the tip/point, angle becomes a bit less important. The only difference in angle I employ is between single string and multi string work per both vids I shared. In the first vid, fast bits are single string, thus the pick is roughly held like a flat plane sticking out from the guitar.

In the second vid, using string traverse, I switch to holding the pick vertically as if it were bisecting the guitar. This shift can be done just using the fingers for the most part so it's not a huge amount of movement.

These MISSIONS are designed to illustrate this style of play and allow your pick hand to find it's way. As you go through, you will start to see (oh now I get it) type of things and you will start to have your own moments of (wow I just found out how I think I can work this out). It's all part of the process smile.gif The ranking Member of Bootcamp is Fzalfa @ Level 50. He is getting in to the tall grass about now. He has put in a lot of work and it shows in his playing. I look forward to seeing you progress as well smile.gif

If you like the jazz picks, I'd highly suggest these. They are DAVA picks which are basically jazz picks with a bit added for extra grip that goes nearly to the point. This package has three types of picks. Three different material types. One is essentially very stiff plastic and that's the one with the least flex. The other two are more like regular jazz and have a bit more. But they work great as trainer picks to remind you to choke up and reach near the point. Take a look.

Attached Image
here is link with info
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories...bo-small-6-pack

As with everything you will learn in bootcamp, these lessons are NOT intended as HOLY GRAIL type lessons, or "The Only Way" type of lessons. I'm teaching a very specific set of skills to help you progress toward very specific modes of play. As you learn, you will adapt this and everything else you learn in to your own style. Bits here bits there. So as with every teaching you will ever get, take it as it is, try it, give it a real chance and see where it falls in to your own style. Of course this takes time too. But so does anything worth doing in life. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Grappa @ Nov 2 2016, 07:21 AM) *
Thanks Todd.

I use a JD Jazz III which has a bit of a rounded tip by default. I've sharpened this up a bit and it feels a lot more controlled. I've also got some JD 1mm Ultex sharp picks which I will try out and see how they feel.

I do hold the pick fairly close to the tip (but not as close as you) and will try to see how a change in pick grip influences things.

Onwards and updwards..

Si

+Quote Post
Grappa
Nov 7 2016, 12:05 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Thanks for heads up the picks - I've got some Dava's which I will try again - they seemed a bit rubbery to me but I think it was because I wasn't holding them close enough to the end and hence allowing them to flex too much in the past.

I've been working on #4. Key challenges for me here are keeping noise at bay (I find the top E string the most difficult) as my palm tends to move away from damping the bottom E and making sure I pick all of the notes....

Let me know..

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2016, 10:53 PM
CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!! Yet another well fought Mission!!! You have very good form here and I do barely here a slight bit of extra string noise but I'd say you are doing a fine job of muting in general. It will only get better with practice. I notice that you are sitting "side saddle" with the guitar on the right leg (or so it looks), try a few passes with the guitar in "Classical Position" in between your legs braced on the left leg, and see how it changes your muting position on the right hand. It may allow your palm angle to shift such that your muting on Missions like this gets a bit easier and more "mutey" smile.gif It's not something that feels familiar, especially if you are used to the guitar on the right leg, but give it a shot and go back and forth between the two positions to see how it impacts your hand/wrist angle and palm muting.

On to the debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise control on picking, even at high speed (much higher speed than I was expecting)

2.)TIGHT right/left hand synch.
(There is no gap between when you need to play the notes on the two strings so it should sound like notes being played on a single string and it's very close to that so well done there!! That's the point of a drill like this.)

3.)Planted palm mute.
(Try the tips about using classical position and let me know how it impacts your next Mission!)

In short, you KRUSHED IT and this is a "Finger Twister" of a Mission. It is VERY easy to get the fingers confused or pick the wrong string, etc. You nailed it and you are using the PINKY!! keep it up!

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Grappa @ Nov 6 2016, 07:05 PM) *
Hi Todd,

Thanks for heads up the picks - I've got some Dava's which I will try again - they seemed a bit rubbery to me but I think it was because I wasn't holding them close enough to the end and hence allowing them to flex too much in the past.

I've been working on #4. Key challenges for me here are keeping noise at bay (I find the top E string the most difficult) as my palm tends to move away from damping the bottom E and making sure I pick all of the notes....

Let me know..

Si

+Quote Post
Grappa
Nov 9 2016, 06:15 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Sarge..

I've given the classical position a go and it does allow me to angle my forearm more across the strings so hopefully I can dampen things down a little.

On the practice front I tried some of the exercises into a totally dry valve amp and I have to say the results were a bit dispiriting. I think I need to do this as part of the practice regime as the this is totally revealing (in a bad way at the moment!). What sounds pretty sweet through a VST amp sim just falls apart when I play it through the 'real thing' - still, at least this allows me to hear/feel what I need to do to improve.

There's definately a big difference between a model and the real thing for sure..

Regards,

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2016, 12:58 PM
The change in angle created by classical position is why I suggest it so often smile.gif It just works. You may eventually, switch between right and left leg/sitting/standing/low strap/high strap/etc But for now, I'd say try classical as often as you can to gain the benefits it gives to the hand/wrist angle which really help in these Missions smile.gif

Real tube amps are living creatures smile.gif Stuff can certainly sound different. You can of course, try to get a similar vibe out of your vst. Just turn down/off the gain and use a dry tone. Much more similar to a dry valve amp. If by dry you mean no dist/gain/fx. smile.gif Always a good idea to play entirely dry and record it to see what's happening with your fingers without benefit of gain/dist/fx etc. Can be very helpful.

Sarge

QUOTE (Grappa @ Nov 9 2016, 01:15 PM) *
Thanks Sarge..

I've given the classical position a go and it does allow me to angle my forearm more across the strings so hopefully I can dampen things down a little.

On the practice front I tried some of the exercises into a totally dry valve amp and I have to say the results were a bit dispiriting. I think I need to do this as part of the practice regime as the this is totally revealing (in a bad way at the moment!). What sounds pretty sweet through a VST amp sim just falls apart when I play it through the 'real thing' - still, at least this allows me to hear/feel what I need to do to improve.

There's definately a big difference between a model and the real thing for sure..

Regards,

Si

+Quote Post
Grappa
Nov 11 2016, 11:58 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Sarge..

I'm going to record a couple of takes going forward - one with distortion and one clean so that I can focus on understanding the imperfections and getting it perfect (or as near to perfect as I can!)

Si

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2016, 07:45 PM
That's a great idea wink.gif Both for me and for you. Keep them all in a playlist on youtube. You can keep them all "unlisted" if you like, if you don't want them searchable on google/yotube. Or make them public, whatever works for you smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Grappa @ Nov 11 2016, 06:58 AM) *
Thanks Sarge..

I'm going to record a couple of takes going forward - one with distortion and one clean so that I can focus on understanding the imperfections and getting it perfect (or as near to perfect as I can!)

Si

+Quote Post
Grappa
Nov 13 2016, 10:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Sarge,

And here you go with number 5. One clean and one dirty with dirty one up to a more reasonable speed!

Clean

Dirty

Still a bit noisy on the dirty one but much better than it was..

Regards,

Si

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:46 PM