tuning of guitar, which tuning you use?
moorkop
Jan 6 2007, 10:09 AM
GMC:er
Lately i have been playing GnR which is all tuned half a step down. And i think jimi hendrix uses it too sometimes. So I tuned down my guitar
With this tuning i can play pretty much everything (normal tuning) that doesn't evolve open strings
And the Eb sound is pretty cool, so i'm gonna keep it this way for a while
I wonder if anyone uses some drop D tuning (or other) and what are the difficulties with it
and why do we use the normal tuning so often?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Jan 6 2007, 11:46 AM
i have to stay in normal since i really dont want to start messing with my floyd, but i dint mind, most stuff i play is in normal anyway, but id love to try drop C for bad horsie tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Braymond
Jan 6 2007, 07:24 PM
I change the tuning of my guitar's on a regular basis. It all depends on which song I'm trying to learn or play. Sometimes it depends on the moods Im in, if I want something relaxing then I will keep it standard tuning, but if I want something dark then I will tune it to drop d or drop c tuning.

This post has been edited by Braymond: Jan 6 2007, 07:25 PM

--------------------
One day I will be as great as Kristofer Dahl.....MUHAHAHAHAHA

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 7 2007, 01:53 PM
I have a Variax guitar, that has a really cool feature that you can change the tunings via software
So my guitar is set up with several open tunings, drop D, Eb..etc all available at the quick turn of a dial.

I often use the half step down tuning, especially when playing GnR stuff.

No need to change the strings at all - how cool is that??

(actually it is a bit strange - because what you hear coming out of the amp - is not what you hear acoustically coming from the guitar - its like in the background you can hear someone playing the same thing very quietly but out of tune......and thats you !!! it is a bit offputting at times - very wierd! but if you use headphones its not a problem)

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
LoveJimboLove
Jan 7 2007, 03:18 PM
QUOTE (fretdancer @ Jan 7 2007, 12:53 PM) *
I have a Variax guitar, that has a really cool feature that you can change the tunings via software
So my guitar is set up with several open tunings, drop D, Eb..etc all available at the quick turn of a dial.

That is insainly cool!

What model is it that you have and how does it sound?

My jaw actually dropped when I read that...

*edit* Just read your signature. Variax 300

How does it fair with the amplifier and distortion and how are the pick ups arranged?

Might be a nice little purchase!

This post has been edited by LoveJimboLove: Jan 7 2007, 03:20 PM

--------------------
www.myspace.com/idkillyouformyself

Guitars:
Jackson RR1 Snow w/ black pin stripes
-Duncan

Jackson KE2 Emerald Green
-Duncan

Jackson Soloist SL1 Lightning sky
-Duncan

ESP M-II Urban Camo
-EMG

Amps:

Practice
Marshall MS4 and Marshall AVTX 275

Gig
Marshall AVTX 112 412xA and 412xB

Pedals:
Marshall Guv'nor 2 and JH-1

+Quote Post
jete124
Jan 7 2007, 07:08 PM
How exactly do you tune the strings down half a step? I know you can do it with a capo but i dont have one dry.gif

+Quote Post
moorkop
Jan 7 2007, 07:30 PM
I use a korg chromatic tuner (displays the exact note you're playing), i love this tuner laugh.gif
because i'm not that good yet at tuning with my hearing, dry.gif if you are, you could use any Eb as a start from a piano, or i think you'll be able to find the right notes on the internet

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 7 2007, 09:07 PM
QUOTE (jete124 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:08 PM) *
How exactly do you tune the strings down half a step? I know you can do it with a capo but i dont have one dry.gif

You loosen them off until they are half a step lower - so the E strings become Eb - the D becomes Db etc etc. One of the advantages is that the strings are easier to bend.

oh and you cant do it with a Capo - a capo is in effect, moving the nut UP the neck - by tuning down you are in effect moving the nut DOWN the neck - no other way to do it other than loosening the strings or de-tuning them

Drop D tuning is tuning the low E (the thick one) down to a D or a whole step. - (just that string)

This post has been edited by fretdancer: Jan 7 2007, 09:24 PM

--------------------
its not easy

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 7 2007, 09:19 PM
QUOTE (LoveJimboLove @ Jan 7 2007, 02:18 PM) *
That is insainly cool!
How does it fair with the amplifier and distortion and how are the pick ups arranged?
Might be a nice little purchase!

Pickups...it does not have pickups. No really, No pickups.

You know how you get modelling amps now, where most amps you can buy emulate the sound of other amps?.....well a variax is like that but for guitars - its a real guitar but there are electronic gadgetry stuff inside it and it emulates the sound of other guitars. so at twist of a knob you can have a Strat or an LP or a Tele, or a Ricky or a 335 or even an acoustic, there are even several 12 string models and even a banjo.
plus you can set up your own guitar/pickup configurations and custom tunings.

When I first heard about them I was very sceptical but having tried one - I had to buy one - now I have one I absolutely love it and would not have any other guitar.
Try one next time you go to a music shop - I guarantee you will want one if you do.
I have never tried '59 strat, or a '62 LP, nor a 12 string Rickenbacker - but my guitar sounds just like any of those instantly - and most experts cannot tell it apart from the real thing when listening to them...I would not know but I know it sounds good !!!

Take a look on the line 6 website - it will tell you much more than I ever could - then check out some user reviews - most people are totally blown away by them

--------------------
its not easy

+Quote Post
VIRUS
Jan 8 2007, 09:46 PM
Standard, Eb, Drop C#(Db), and Drop C, but most of the time im in Eb

+Quote Post
Climate
Jan 18 2007, 01:40 AM
Either standard, drop D or 1/2 a step down wink.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Feb 1 2007, 02:50 AM
As for me, i have two guitars that i switch through everyday depeding on my mood. My Shechter C-1+ is tuned a whole step down(DGCfad) because i play a lot of death metal and the strings are heavy(10-52 boomers). My other guitar which is a Fender 60th anniversarry is tuned standard for normal reasons, playing blues, clean chords, etc. If you do it right, if you tuned a whole step down and put heavier gages it feels like its on standard tuning(well for me anyway, i guesse i got used to it).

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:44 AM