4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
2007 Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster
Ikaros
Jan 19 2007, 09:55 PM
GMC:er
Updated News today on my Yngwie Malmsteen 100%
website with details about Fender's new 2007 Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster!

Model numbers are now available for different color and neck combinations.

Guitar gearheads go check it out!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Webpage:
- http://www.myspace.com/yngwie100
Equipment:
- Fender Standard Stratocaster
- Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks
- Roland Cube-20X modeling amp
- Boss FS-6 Dual Footswitch
- DOD YJM308 Overdrive (optional)
- Boss DS-1 Distortion (optional)
- Marshall MG15CD amp (spare)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 19 2007, 11:36 PM
Wow - scalloped fretboard
I always imagined it would be better to have scalloped frets but have never tried a guitar thats made that way - would love to try one though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 20 2007, 04:34 AM
I'd buy it, but then again, I think Yngwie is talentless

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jan 20 2007, 06:14 AM
QUOTE (Why @ Jan 20 2007, 04:34 AM) *

Why? huh.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 20 2007, 06:20 AM
I know many people say this, but it is true. Yngwie is too 'pick notes as fast as you can up and down a scale'.

Fair enough, he's got some good licks, but he's got no emotion in his playing. By emotion I don't mean bends and vibrato's I mean feeling something from the music. When I listen to his solo's I don't feel anything.

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Jan 20 2007, 08:22 AM
So if YOU don't feel anything that makes him talentless? jeez

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
jete124
Jan 20 2007, 08:26 AM
Because you don't like him doesn't make him talentless, he has spent many years perfecting his play and is a world renown musician. Now i personally am not too into his music, but the man most certainly is talented.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 20 2007, 04:40 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Why @ Jan 20 2007, 04:34 AM) *

A bit harsh - if you have such a strong/radical opinion we would also like to see some very strong arguments for it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jan 20 2007, 07:44 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 20 2007, 04:40 PM) *
A bit harsh - if you have such a strong/radical opinion we would also like to see some very strong arguments for it.

indeed mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 20 2007, 10:48 PM
I think the issue with Yngwie (I'm a huge fan) is that in the 80's the press and interviews made him appear arrogant. Yngwie just tells it like he sees it and his opinions can sound blunt. Plus he's very confident in his own abilities and doesn't hold back. Yet when anyone reads typed words you can get a way different impression that actually talking face to face with the man. I did, and he is very polite and nice to his fans. The most funny interviews is when they play a song from someone else and he gives his impression of it. Yngwie doesn't listen to the radio much so he is always shocked when he says their string bending is sharp or flat, etc. and they tell him that was so and so famous guitarist! Yngwie has perfect pitch so is just giving his honest opinion. Sometimes the truth hurts.

But I'm glad Yngwie is Yngwie and doesn't change his style to suit what is popular on the radio. He hates rap and thinks half these grunge and "new rock" bands shouldn't be giving lesson in magazines, they should be talking some lessons! At least the guitar solo is making a comeback in recent new bands.

In the past several years Yngwie has really settled down and has given up smoking and drinking completely. He plays tennis every day when he's home with his drummer and it shows. Yngwie is in his best shape since the 90's. All I can say is if you have a chance you must see one of his shows. He is very inspirational and doesn't compromize his style for anything. Love him or hate him, there is no denying that he is truely a living guitar legend.

This post has been edited by Ikaros: Jan 20 2007, 10:52 PM

--------------------
Webpage:
Equipment:

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 20 2007, 10:56 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ikaros @ Jan 20 2007, 10:48 PM) *
I think the issue with Yngwie (I'm a huge fan) is that in the 80's the press and interviews made him appear arrogant. Yngwie just tells it like he sees it and his opinions can sound blunt. Plus he's very confident in his own abilities and doesn't hold back. Yet when anyone reads typed words you can get a way different impression that actually talking face to face with the man. I did, and he is very polite and nice to his fans. The most funny interviews is when they play a song from someone else and he gives his impression of it. Yngwie doesn't listen to the radio much so he is always shocked when he says their string bending is sharp or flat, etc. and they tell him that was so and so famous guitarist! Yngwie has perfect pitch so is just giving his honest opinion. Sometimes the truth hurts.

But I'm glad Yngwie is Yngwie and doesn't change his style to suit what is popular on the radio. He hates rap and thinks half these grunge and "new rock" bands shouldn't be giving lesson in magazines, they should be talking some lessons! At least the guitar solo is making a comeback in recent new bands.

In the past several years Yngwie has really settled down and has given up smoking and drinking completely. He plays tennis every day when he's home with his drummer and it shows. Yngwie is in his best shape since the 90's. All I can say is if you have a chance you must see one of his shows. He is very inspirational and doesn't compromize his style for anything. Love him or hate him, there is no denying that he is truely a living guitar legend.

That's interesting - I didn't know he had perfect pitch. I am also glad he recovered from his alcoholism (etc.) - last time I saw him perform live he was in a really bad shape.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jan 20 2007, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (Ikaros @ Jan 20 2007, 10:48 PM) *

amen

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 21 2007, 12:07 AM
Instructor
Well i also don't like Yngwie's music but i respect him because of the fact that he had some bad injury of his his hand and had to start practicing his technique almost from the beginning when he was already a shredder - so - my respect to him!

There will always be: "I like him!", "I don't!", "He sucks!", "No - you suck!" and stuff like that! But i always approach this from this side: you can only judge about how good he is when you reach his level of playing, of performance experience and record as many albums as he did and when you appear on 273468273 covers of guitar magazines. And i apply this to all guitarists.

So stay cool and practice!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 21 2007, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 20 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Well i also don't like Yngwie's music but i respect him because of the fact that he had some bad injury of his his hand and had to start practicing his technique almost from the beginning when he was already a shredder - so - my respect to him!

Yes, in his wild L.A. days he had a series of bad times. His manager stole all his money, his mother died, he got drunk and ran his car into a tree. He got a brain injury from that causing the hand to be retrained to play all over again! You have to be determined to get past that when almost dying and his guitar carreer could have been over.

This post has been edited by Ikaros: Jan 21 2007, 12:19 AM

--------------------
Webpage:
Equipment:

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Jan 21 2007, 12:25 AM
We are all talentless - Kris has taught us that. But yngwie spent some serious hours in gettin' his speed and licks, bends and whatnot upto his class and that is enough for me to respect him as a musician.

As most others in this thread I dont find his particular music very good but I can say that I am impressed by his technique.

So yea..maybe he is talentless, but his playing is impressing.

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Jan 21 2007, 01:24 AM
Well can we agree his guitar is cool?

Most neoclassical guitarists love the scalloped neck and swear by it. I think its now become an icon for that type of rock guitar. Now Yngwie says it doesn't make you play any faster on it, in fact it is harder to play because you need much more control on how you fret without pushing notes sharp, because you are used to pressing against wood. He just thought it looked cool being scalloped like a medieval stringed instrument so he tried it with a guitar neck and liked it! I think Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple used to (partially) do it too. But it helps you develop a lighter touch and it is supposed to be easier to bend notes and do vibrato. I've heard that after getting used to it and then going back to a regulat neck, it feels like you can play at lightspeed, only because it forces you to developed more control and accurate technique.

I would love to have one, but I'm a little scared making the initial adjustment in playing. But I think it would help improve my technique in the long run.

This post has been edited by Ikaros: Jan 21 2007, 01:26 AM

--------------------
Webpage:
Equipment:

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 21 2007, 01:49 AM
Buy a cheap second hand Strat copy or similar - Ebay is littered with them - and they are not actually bad guitars, its just that everyone having learnt to play 3 chords, thinks that something 3 times the price will allow them to play three more !! (we all do it)

I bet you can buy one for about $60 or less - then you can file the top 10 frets down to give it a go?
Not gonna break the bank and might give you a project and a little motivation for a while?

--------------------
its not easy

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jan 21 2007, 01:57 AM
QUOTE (fretdancer @ Jan 21 2007, 01:49 AM) *
Buy a cheap second hand Strat copy or similar - Ebay is littered with them - and they are not actually bad guitars, its just that everyone having learnt to play 3 chords, thinks that something 3 times the price will allow them to play three more !! (we all do it)

I bet you can buy one for about $60 or less - then you can file the top 10 frets down to give it a go?
Not gonna break the bank and might give you a project and a little motivation for a while?

im going to try it right now biggrin.gif
I have one left. laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Jan 21 2007, 02:07 AM
It would be really interesting to know how it turns out if you do try it.
My tip - take lots of Photos as you move through each stage
It would make a really interesting story with pics for everyone here?

--------------------
its not easy

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jan 21 2007, 02:09 AM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jan 21 2007, 01:57 AM) *
im going to try it right now biggrin.gif
I have one left. laugh.gif laugh.gif

hmm after the first fret I said: screw this, lets practice blink.gif i didnt want to take the strings off

@fretdancer: sorry... tongue.gif

@people who wanna try this at home: first take the strings off xD
I think you also have to polish the frets again after you filed the wood away.

This post has been edited by ezravdb: Jan 21 2007, 02:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:20 PM