How Do I Record Everything From Daw?, Need help please
thefireball
Jan 18 2017, 09:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys, perhaps one of you can help me. smile.gif

I'm wanting to record YouTube tutorials. I need everything sound that is going on in my computer to be recorded. I have screen capture software (Debut) but I can only get video recorded. I have found out why - it's because the ASIO drivers I'm using to record (ASIO UX2) lock any other software from recording while it's being used. With my Line 6 UX2 recording into Reaper, the ASIO (low latency) drivers are being utilized.

I want to be able to record vocals and guitar live while doing the tutorial. I will have a camera set up with its own mounted mic recording my face, screen capture software running to capture the video onscreen, and then finally my UX2 interface just there as usual. I want it to be as though someone were sitting there listening to it with me. So basically everything coming through my monitors/headphones needs recorded for the audience.

So how do I record what is going on in my DAW?

One solution I thought of - but not yet resolved - was to record to my iPad through the Headphones-Out on the interface. The Analog-Outs are being used for my monitors via XLRs. A normal line-in cable won't cut it - I learned - because it doesn't have the 3-ring connection - a TRRS cable. I would prefer to record through my lightning port on my iPad instead of the headphone jack if I could.

Would the iRig accomplish this? or is there something simpler? I'm just needing to be able to export the audio to mp3 and sync it all up in post on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated. I thought I would ask before spending any more money on this situation. rolleyes.gif

By the way, what is this Digital-Out S/PDIF on my interface? I couldn't find any information on the internet on how to use it with the UX2.

Thanks
Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Jan 19 2017, 01:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Does the UX2 have a loopback mode? In that case you could try to directly record with Audacity, which is free and supports recording from loopback devices, instead of going through your DAW. Or do you explicitly need your DAW capabilites?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2017, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Brandon! That sounds good. I think that a second device (as the Ipad) is necesary if you are going to use the computer to capture everything that is happening on screen. You can't use a daw to record audio at the same time, at least with that audio interface.

I think that the easier way would be to connect the headphones output to something like this: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/ and record it into your ipad using any daw (like garage band).

I own an Iphone 6 and Apogee Jam so I could try connecting the headphones of my soundcard and record on garage band and see what happens.

Digital-Out S/PDIF is as it says a digital output. Unless you add an interface to your Ipad I don't think that you'll be able to use it. Here is more info: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-...dif-connection/

Apogee Duet includes this: Direct digital connection to iPad and iOS devices (iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. Lightning and 30-pin cable sold separately). I think that this is exactly what you need... you should search it there is some kind of adapter from spdif to that 30-pin cable.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 19 2017, 06:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks. I was just hoping for something less expensive. I can't spend a lot. I have read one could use an adapter through the headphones jack though.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 20 2017, 12:25 AM
GMC:er
Yup smile.gif That's the DIY way smile.gif Just come out of your headphone output of your audio interface, in to the line input jack on your laptop. Use a utility like quicktime or something to record all the audio at once. Or use the line out from your daw to the mic input jack on your camera, (assuming there is one) and you get perfectly synced audio and video going direct to your camera with all your tracks.

Todd

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 19 2017, 01:36 PM) *
Thanks. I was just hoping for something less expensive. I can't spend a lot. I have read one could use an adapter through the headphones jack though.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 3 2017, 10:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys, still having this problem. Thought I solved it but didn't.

I made a thread in apple's website it no one responded. Can you check it out?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7849223

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 4 2017, 12:20 AM
GMC:er
What APP are you trying to use on your ipad? Garage band? Honestly, you should be able to skip the ipad. Your daw rig has two sets of I/O (Hopefully you are using an external audio interface?) so my older suggestion should just work without having to bring the ipad in to it and make things more difficult. That white adapter looks like an apple product. Any apple based app (like garage band) should recognize it. If you haven't tried it, I'd say try what I suggested for starters, failing that, your white apple adapter should work inside garage band. If it's not, then it's truly a matter for Apple support. Let us know smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 3 2017, 05:52 PM) *
Hey guys, still having this problem. Thought I solved it but didn't.

I made a thread in apple's website it no one responded. Can you check it out?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7849223

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:57 AM