Using A Midi Controller, clueless
Ctodd
Jul 15 2009, 12:45 AM
GMC:er
A few general questions...

I have no Idea how midi controllers work...

I've read that some controllers (keyboards) have a midi out/in and some use USB.
Is there a fundamental difference between these two?
If it doesnt have USB, will I be able to use it with my computer? I don't have any midi ports on my computer... that I know of...

Once I do get it hooked up (physically) to my computer, how do I start "using" it?
I've worked with MIDI stuff a bit, but only dragging and "dropping" the notes in Reaper, never with a controller.

I'm trying to use this program that I got, its a free and downloadable program that lets you use your regular computer keyboard as a midi controller.

I've messed around with it a little bit but couldn't get it to make any sounds, or be recognized by Reaper.

I see some Midi device settings in Reaper, and I've messed around with them, but cant figure it out.

can anyway help?

thanks!

-chris

EDIT: in messing around with reaper, I'm seeing a lot of options for setting MIDI IN and MIDI OUT. I dont know what these mean, but I'm saying it here just so you have an appropriate understanding of how little I understand this...

why oh why can't it just be as simple as plug n' play laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Jul 15 2009, 01:09 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2009, 01:21 AM
Instructor
You don't need Midi in on your controller
to play with sounds from PC,
Midi in is for triggering sound in keyboard.
Regarding midi and usb, if your controller doesn't have usb
and your computer has no midi the you just need to get midi to usb cable/converter,
it's very cheap ( few bucks ).

You said that you connected it but it doesn't work.
Did you install drivers for that controller?
If yes then try to find midi inputs in preferences in Reaper
and assign this controller as midi in, that should work.
Let me know if you still have problems. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jul 15 2009, 01:36 AM
GMC:er
thanks for the reply,

I suspect the problem may lie with how I configured the program (the one that is converting my regular computer keyboard to a midi controller). Its freeware so I didn't really expect it to be very easy to use.

I see a Midi IN option in Reaper, and the only thing that shows up is my line6 toneport. I currently set the Midi out on this program I got to the very same (Line 6 toneport). and still nothing. I can't do this directly because the name of the program, "mellosoftron III" doesn't show up as an option for MIDI IN inside Reaper.

I suspect that this is because some driver needs to be installed as you said.

I'll mess around with it some more...

btw Muris, I'm looking into buying one of those KORG nanokey controllers wink.gif

Im just hoping I can get my feet wet with using a midi controller, as I have never used one before.

EDIT: I should also add that available options for the MIDI OUT on my controller program include the toneport, "Sigma tel audio" (my soundcard... i think) and something called "primary sound driver"

but I'm thinking I did the right thing in leaving it set to the toneport.

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Jul 15 2009, 01:45 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 15 2009, 01:56 AM
Instructor
No need to mess around with Midi Out in Reaper,
you need Midi In only to work properly atm.
I guess it's cause of missing drivers,
your PC can't recognize it and so can not Reaper.
And Nanokeys is sweet, yeah. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 15 2009, 03:36 AM
Instructor
We had a long chat about this smile.gif I hope you now understand all the science about MIDI smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 15 2009, 12:15 PM
Instructor
MIDI are standardized signals that can be used for communication between all kinds of musical and other gear. Sort of a language if you will. If you get a keyboard that has MIDI OUT, this means that keyboard "speaks" the language of MIDI, and you can adjust the software to "listen" to what keyboard "says". Depending what software is made to do you can do various things. In DAW those signals serve for recording notes, in Guitar Rig for example you can put C1 note to control the ON/OFF for your effect, so various purposes..

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:51 AM