Pedal Mods
Rock
Jun 1 2007, 05:40 AM
GMC:er
Does anyone have experience with modifying pedals? I'm not overly happy with my Boss CS-3, it's noisy and sucks my tone so I was thinking about sending out to either Keeley or Mark Humphrey. Mods are $50 each and supposedly they can take an average pedal and make it sound incredible. The other option which would be less expensive and easier to experiment with different combinations would be to modify myself. I purchased a DIY manual from Indyguitar and they step you through exactly what needs to be changed by location and value. I was thinking about giving it a try and if it goes well then possibly modifying my DS2, MT2, and GE7. From everything I have read, the standard off the shelf boxes can all be much improved with better caps, diodes, and op amps to cut down on noise and improve the overall sound.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Rock
Jun 3 2007, 06:00 AM
QUOTE (Rock @ Jun 1 2007, 05:40 AM) *
Does anyone have experience with modifying pedals? I'm not overly happy with my Boss CS-3, it's noisy and sucks my tone so I was thinking about sending out to either Keeley or Mark Humphrey. Mods are $50 each and supposedly they can take an average pedal and make it sound incredible. The other option which would be less expensive and easier to experiment with different combinations would be to modify myself. I purchased a DIY manual from Indyguitar and they step you through exactly what needs to be changed by location and value. I was thinking about giving it a try and if it goes well then possibly modifying my DS2, MT2, and GE7. From everything I have read, the standard off the shelf boxes can all be much improved with better caps, diodes, and op amps to cut down on noise and improve the overall sound.

Guess not!?!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 3 2007, 07:49 AM
wow i have a lot to learn..im thinking about getting my first pedal in the next few weeks..and now im finding out you can get mods ..pfff...i really have a lot to learn about equipment tongue.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 4 2007, 03:34 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 3 2007, 07:49 AM) *
wow i have a lot to learn..im thinking about getting my first pedal in the next few weeks..and now im finding out you can get mods ..pfff...i really have a lot to learn about equipment tongue.gif

I tend to do a lot of research on the web. There is an enormous amount of information out there as you may know. I've only been playing about 3 months, so I am sure you are light years ahead of me in playing ability. It is going to take me some serious time, which is fine since I love playing so much. As far as effects, I have read quite a bit concerning which sound good and why and started checking into the Boss CS-3 compression pedal since I noticed there is quite a bit of background sound and I seem to lose some tone when I use it. Since I spent $90, I figured I would just sell it if I am not going to use it until I stumbled across quite a few threads concerning pedal mods through Keeley and Mark Humphrey. During the first month with my new guitar, I picked up several pedals and all the reviews indicate I can get much better sound on 4 out of my 7 pedals with some fairly simple mods to the PCBs. Well, it was going to cost me $200 to send 4 for modification to either Keeley or Humphrey. Then I noticed they also send out components to mod yourself for around $30 per pedal so I started looking further into doing it myself. I ended up buying the book for $15 from Indyguitarist which shows in detail which components to change out on over 50 different pedals. I purchased enough components through Digikey to modify all four plus some for about $25. Another $40 for a soldering iron, stand with magnifying glass, solder, solder wick and now I am in business to mod my own pedals for $80. I figure this way if I am not completely satisfied with the sound I can always reverse the modification or change out some values to get different sounds as well. Plus I will have a much better understanding of what it takes to get the different sounds and why. I will let you know how it goes. I'm all set up and the components will be in this week so most likely I will be trying out my first mod next Saturday. Wish me luck! If all goes well, I may start searching for used pedals for cheap that I can refurb, modify, and maybe even sell on ebay if I have fun with it.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 4 2007, 03:48 AM
QUOTE (Rock @ Jun 3 2007, 09:34 PM) *
I tend to do a lot of research on the web. There is an enormous amount of information out there as you may know. I've only been playing about 3 months, so I am sure you are light years ahead of me in playing ability. It is going to take me some serious time, which is fine since I love playing so much. As far as effects, I have read quite a bit concerning which sound good and why and started checking into the Boss CS-3 compression pedal since I noticed there is quite a bit of background sound and I seem to lose some tone when I use it. Since I spent $90, I figured I would just sell it if I am not going to use it until I stumbled across quite a few threads concerning pedal mods through Keeley and Mark Humphrey. During the first month with my new guitar, I picked up several pedals and all the reviews indicate I can get much better sound on 4 out of my 7 pedals with some fairly simple mods to the PCBs. Well, it was going to cost me $200 to send 4 for modification to either Keeley or Humphrey. Then I noticed they also send out components to mod yourself for around $30 per pedal so I started looking further into doing it myself. I ended up buying the book for $15 from Indyguitarist which shows in detail which components to change out on over 50 different pedals. I purchased enough components through Digikey to modify all four plus some for about $25. Another $40 for a soldering iron, stand with magnifying glass, solder, solder wick and now I am in business to mod my own pedals for $80. I figure this way if I am not completely satisfied with the sound I can always reverse the modification or change out some values to get different sounds as well. Plus I will have a much better understanding of what it takes to get the different sounds and why. I will let you know how it goes. I'm all set up and the components will be in this week so most likely I will be trying out my first mod next Saturday. Wish me luck! If all goes well, I may start searching for used pedals for cheap that I can refurb, modify, and maybe even sell on ebay if I have fun with it.

cool beans man...sounds like fun to me biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Rock
Jun 12 2007, 03:08 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 4 2007, 03:48 AM) *
cool beans man...sounds like fun to me biggrin.gif

So I spent a few hours, learned how to solder and desolder smile.gif and I changed out several components on 3 of my pedals with instructions from Indyguitarst. I have to say my CS3 is quiet as a mouse now, what a difference. I can't even hear it turn on or off, no hiss at all and no tone drain. I was also amazed how much better my DS2 sounds as well. It used to have a bit of a muffled sound, now it is more musical and much less background noise. I made the mods to my MT2 as well. I always liked the sound of this one but I think it is a bit quieter now with less hiss. and the distortion is fuller as well. Well worth the few bucks I spent to modify, especially my CS3 and DS2m which I hardly used. I already find myself using them much more when practicing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:49 AM