Restring Floyd Rose
besip
Aug 7 2011, 01:37 AM
GMC:er
Hi All i was order new string and i will be 1 time restring My Jackson with Floyd i was find on yotube this video which look to me ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_q2wleWRvw

but i want to know if somebody has other good advice rolleyes.gif ?

actually i was see few years ago some kind of technique which can made the changing string more easy but i don't know if that's recomeded...the thing is we don't go to cut the end of the string as the guy showing around 8 minute of this video but we turn the string around and put the end of the string to the hole of tuning pegs ...the end get stuck there and we be can tighten the string without any other moves there...it's something wrong with the technique?

also i have rosewood fretboard..so probably using the lemon oil be ok? to clean the fret

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JD_
Aug 7 2011, 01:49 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (besip @ Aug 7 2011, 12:37 AM) *
Hi All i was order new string and i will be 1 time restring My Jackson with Floyd i was find on yotube this video which look to me ok

actually i was see few years ago some kind of technique which can made the changing string more easy but i don't know if that's recomeded...the thing is we don't go to cut the end of the string as the guy showing around 8 minute of this video but we turn the string around and put the end of the string to the hole of tuning pegs ...the end get stuck there and we be can tighten the string without any other moves there...it's something wrong with the technique?

also i have rosewood fretboard..so probably using the lemon oil be ok? to clean the fret

Hey mate....In my opinion changing 1 string at a time is the quickest and eaisest way of getting a new set of strings on a floyd rose. Assuming you are using the same guage of course.
Another way to do it, is to depress the the bridge and Block it....some ppl use a 9volt batterry placed under the bridge while u have depressed it, then let it go and the weight of the bridge will end up on the battery.....
My way...i actually take the floyd rose off....Can be a longer process and u really need to be good at the innotation and height of your strings....but i take it off, clean everything, polish etc then put it back together.
It happened by accident actually, i was changing strings and the bridge slipped out of the height adjusting pegs....i shat myself, thought i broke something....then after about 5 mins of noodling around I realised that I could actually fix it....haha

And lemon oil is fine with Rosewood mate...it Maple fretboards you need to woory about...and using citrus based oil is the only product you can use on a maple fretboard...

Cheers tongue.gif

EDIT: there is nothing wrong with leaving the way you are doing it...but the end's of the strings...the balls...are useless but u can leave em on if u want....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Aug 7 2011, 02:07 AM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 7 2011, 01:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (besip @ Aug 7 2011, 01:37 AM) *

if you are putting the same size strings on it will be like the video ,you should not need to adjust anything
cut the end of at least the thickest 3 strings ,the others I do the way you have suggessted

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2011, 11:44 AM
Instructor
I have given up playing on floyd rose equipped guitars, but, when I used this system:

- I usually took all the old strings down
- cleaned the floating bridge with a soft cloth (although, once a year you should let it bathe in a recipient with break liquid - used in the car's breaking system, as it cleans it very thoroughly)
- placed the floating bridge back
- I took on string at a time and placed them with their ball through the holder on the headstock and the tip inside the locking trem's individual string holder.
- I wound each string until it was fairly tensioned (not tuned)
- once I got all the strings on the guitar I would tension all the strings with one rotation each from the keys, until the floyd was in perfect parallel position with the guitar body (I used to look at the knives of the floating bridge, as they had a strip which was parallel with the body, if the whole bridge was parallel with the guitar's body)
- then I would pull on each string at a point found over the 12th fret, in vertical and horizontal directions so I could make sure that the string was wound as tight as possible.
- in the end I would tune up the guitar (of course, taking care to adjust the screws on the back of the floyd as much as needed for the guitar to stay in tune and the floyd to remain parallel to the guitar body)
- I would then lock the headstock as well and bend the hell out of the strings, unlock it and then re-tune it again smile.gif
- that was about it biggrin.gif

Hope all this little procedure made sense and turned out helpful enough to solve the problem smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Aug 7 2011, 11:53 AM
Learning Roadie
[quote name='Cosmin Lupu' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:44 AM' post='536987']
I have given up playing on floyd rose equipped guitars, but, when I used this system:

What was your motivation in getting rid of guitars with a floyd rose on it? Did u find it wasn't neccesary?

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2011, 12:07 PM
Instructor
[quote name='JaxN4' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:53 AM' post='536991']
[quote name='Cosmin Lupu' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:44 AM' post='536987']

What was your motivation in getting rid of guitars with a floyd rose on it? Did u find it wasn't neccesary?

hey mate! I needed sustain from the guitars and a different kind of tone. Also, I couldn't quite perform country style bends with a floyd smile.gif and in the music genre that I play, fixed bridge guitars and string through body are the things I need biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 7 2011, 02:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Aug 7 2011, 02:49 AM) *
Hey mate....In my opinion changing 1 string at a time is the quickest and eaisest way of getting a new set of strings on a floyd rose.

+1

I have no idea on setting up my Ibanez, but whenever I change strings I do it one by one, and everything is perfect when I finish smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 7 2011, 05:19 PM
Instructor
i think that video is what you need smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
besip
Aug 8 2011, 02:10 AM
Thanks all cool.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Narzsa
Aug 8 2011, 01:19 PM
QUOTE (besip @ Aug 8 2011, 02:10 AM) *
Thanks all cool.gif

My quick and easy method is to take a tick piece of cardboard (usually the xl string pack im using), and place it under the floating bridge. I then remove all the strings, and the cardboard holds the bridge in place against its own pull. I then polish, and reattach the new strings. Once their all fairly tight i remove the cardboard and tune up the rest of the way.

So long as they are the same gauge and they are the same tuning its quick and easy smile.gif

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10
ENGL Screamer 50 watt Combo

\m/

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 8 2011, 02:27 PM
I love being able to dive bomb and such with the floyd rose. But I hate when it comes to restringing it so I just put it in the corner and use my other guitars as my workhorses.

When I restring it, I have a block of wood that I cut to fit into the cavity to keep it from moving so I can restring it or if I wish to tune lower just leave it in and not worry about the tension because its not going to be moving.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 8 2011, 02:58 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 7 2011, 11:44 AM) *
- (although, once a year you should let it bathe in a recipient with break liquid - used in the car's breaking system, as it cleans it very thoroughly)

not something I`d recommend to be honest, especially if the trem is painted black etc, brake fluid from a car will more than likely strip off the paint as well, plus its an irritant and shouldnt be in contact with skin, if you use it then take great care and wash it off thouroughly with water.

It is a good idea once in a while to remove the whole thing, strip it down and clean all the parts to keep them nice n free, but something like a 3 in 1 type oil or WD40 applied to a cloth first would work better smile.gif

When I change my strings I usually change them one by one, I find it the quickest and easiest way to do it, but yes, just as mentioned now n then I have the whole lot off, amazing just how much dirt gets in there! smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
besip
Aug 8 2011, 06:48 PM
to me take all string away look good for cleaning the neck..i know i can block the floyd with something but i'm afraid if i be take all string out then somethime the guitar neck can change his position because those string tension holding the neck on some position...
actually i don't know it for sure biggrin.gif that's what i hear about smile.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Aug 8 2011, 06:49 PM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 8 2011, 10:20 PM
Instructor
Hey Chris! Thanks for the tip! I had no trouble using the break liquid in the past years, but since I am not using a floyd anymore, I probably won't have the opportunity of trying your method too soon - have you ever tried the break liquid until now? I'm curious to know more biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Aug 8 2011, 01:58 PM) *
not something I`d recommend to be honest, especially if the trem is painted black etc, brake fluid from a car will more than likely strip off the paint as well, plus its an irritant and shouldnt be in contact with skin, if you use it then take great care and wash it off thouroughly with water.

It is a good idea once in a while to remove the whole thing, strip it down and clean all the parts to keep them nice n free, but something like a 3 in 1 type oil or WD40 applied to a cloth first would work better smile.gif

When I change my strings I usually change them one by one, I find it the quickest and easiest way to do it, but yes, just as mentioned now n then I have the whole lot off, amazing just how much dirt gets in there! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:32 AM