8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Tflava's Bootcamp
Todd Simpson
Dec 4 2020, 11:40 PM
GMC:er
Watch this vid. IT's a great demo on how to palm mute while articulating the strings. Now, this guy is using his fingers and his pick and a great deal of hammer on/pull off/legato, but focus on his palm mute. Look how he is keeping his mute while he picks. He doesn't lift, doesn't move the entire hand off the bridge. Also, he mutes firmly but doesn't choke the strings.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 6 2020, 08:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey man,

thanks for the vid. very nice.
Here is my mission 6.
i had to say that this lick was more difficult to play for a long time because of the odd numbering and accents.
But i practiced every day and im statring to like it more and more smile.gif

I could do it faster than this but then after a while i gone wrong because off the odd accents so i recorded the 190 and 200 bpm.
Thanks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2020, 12:15 AM
THIS IS A BREAKTHROUGH Soldier!!! Your muting is very good here. Your muting the entire bridge with your palm and not allowing any extra string noise. This is great to see. I know it's NOT easy to mute all the strings with pick hand while picking. It's one of the main things I'm trying to teach in bootcamp and we use it nearly every Mission. Your hand has adapted!!! Also, you alt picking is very good here. You have clean strikes and each are evenly spaced and your hand synch is spot on!! This one drill puts a lot of techniques together and if one of them is not working, the entire lick falls apart. keep this one in your warm up routine until you find a better one to replace it. It's a great way to warm up your alt picking. Also your mute is just heavy enough to mute string noise but not so heavy that it's choking the strings. This is also great to see. It means you are well prepared for the Misions to come. Super Congrats Soldier!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 6 2020, 03:16 PM) *
Hey man,

thanks for the vid. very nice.
Here is my mission 6.
i had to say that this lick was more difficult to play for a long time because of the odd numbering and accents.
But i practiced every day and im statring to like it more and more smile.gif

I could do it faster than this but then after a while i gone wrong because off the odd accents so i recorded the 190 and 200 bpm.
Thanks

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 8 2020, 09:26 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Allright thanks man. Im feeling the progress also so thats real nice 😁 thanks for all your help

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2020, 01:49 AM
Keep it up!!! The stuff we do here in bootcamp is what can really help with fast runs in REC.
Here, we work on precision at every speed. This will lead to precision at fast speed. We don't do a lot of vibrato in bootcamp as it's more about hand synch and preparing you to play fast. Ask Gabe to maybe give you some work on your vibrato in his mentor thread and with these two thing combined I think you will make great gains!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 8 2020, 04:26 AM) *
Allright thanks man. Im feeling the progress also so thats real nice 😁 thanks for all your help

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 9 2020, 02:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey mate.

Thanks i already incorporate it in my practice routine since yesterday.
Before i learned lots of songs and learned rhythm a lot. But ill see its time now to study better and focuss more in the basic Technique before i go further.

So my routine is now:
- 20 min picking
- 20 min legato
- 10 min vibrato
- 10 min bending vibrato.

Then ill hope that after a month or 2 mya vibrato is much better. And after a few months also my legato 😁
But im working on it so i know its gonna be allright

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 10 2020, 03:57 AM
Sounds like a good plan Soldier!! Keep in mind though, don't let it become a chore. If it just stops being at all fun, if it starts feeling more like work, change it up. Take a day off, learn a new song that you've been wanting to learn, etc. It's hard to keep up a pace of non stop work. It's possible, but don't let it become all work and no fun. As long as you are enjoying the process and and making gains, keep going! If you start to feel burned out, it's time to change it up or take a day off. Just something to keep in mind smile.gif

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 9 2020, 09:35 AM) *
Hey mate.

Thanks i already incorporate it in my practice routine since yesterday.
Before i learned lots of songs and learned rhythm a lot. But ill see its time now to study better and focuss more in the basic Technique before i go further.

So my routine is now:
- 20 min picking
- 20 min legato
- 10 min vibrato
- 10 min bending vibrato.

Then ill hope that after a month or 2 mya vibrato is much better. And after a few months also my legato 😁
But im working on it so i know its gonna be allright

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 11 2020, 08:37 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey man.

Yes thanks. I think i will sometimes shift my routine.
40 minutes of Technique. With in every day the bootcamp. And i think then 20 minutes some other Technique which i will change between, legato, vibrato or other excersises.
I have then enough time to also do the "more fun" stuff but also working on Technique for a daily base.

I hope soon i can also play again with my bands so that i keep playing whole songs and stuff. But till that time i will enjoying myself playing music from my home 😁

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 11 2020, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a great plan! Balanced approach. Your making great gains!! Keep it up!!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 11 2020, 03:37 AM) *
Hey man.

Yes thanks. I think i will sometimes shift my routine.
40 minutes of Technique. With in every day the bootcamp. And i think then 20 minutes some other Technique which i will change between, legato, vibrato or other excersises.
I have then enough time to also do the "more fun" stuff but also working on Technique for a daily base.

I hope soon i can also play again with my bands so that i keep playing whole songs and stuff. But till that time i will enjoying myself playing music from my home 😁

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 13 2020, 07:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Sarge,

here my misson 7.
I recorded it on 4 different speed levels.

200, 220, 240 and 250 BPm.

Hope my technique is ok.

Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2020, 07:02 AM
You are getting better each time Soldier!! You have solid techinique here on the whole. Your Alternate picking is good. Your hand position is good. Your PInky power is good. Your pace is good. Mute is good. It's all starting to come together!! Can you feel the increase in speed and precision and stamina? sometimes it happens so slowly that people can't actually see it happening. You seem to be making rapid progress so I hope you can see it to!! The ONE problem I see is that sometimes, when you make a string/fret change, you lose track of what finger is going where and it takes you a few beats to recover. It happens first about 40 seconds in and then a few times after. This is quite common and to be expected. Part of the reason I have you run your hand around the neck is to force it to get used to making quick changes between strings and frets. As you continue, your ability to make these shifts will improve. It's a small issue that usually fixes itself over time. ;Your mute is good here but on the verge of choking the strings. Keep it solid but maybe back off the pressure just a pinch. You want to keep each note muted so that they don't bleed in to one another, but not so much that it kills the resonance a muted note should have. You've got this sorted Soldier!! You are ready for what lies ahead. Well Fought!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 13 2020, 02:55 PM) *
Hey Sarge,

here my misson 7.
I recorded it on 4 different speed levels.

200, 220, 240 and 250 BPm.

Hope my technique is ok.

Thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 15 2020, 08:35 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Sarge.

Thanks i really deel that its getting more comfortabele and the progress happens faster as i would believe before 🙂

Yes i notice that the most difficult part is to change frets within the pattern.

About the muting. I deel that im searching for the right pressure of the pinky.
All the strings feel good. Only the high e string is the most difficult too mute wel. I will experiment some more with the pressure but now i have some sort of point to focuss on.

I'll keep going. Thanks for your feedback.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2020, 09:07 PM
It's not easy to find the right amount of mute pressure. Too little and you get string noise, too much and you choke the string. Also, your pinky is probably not used to doing it's mute this way. Most folks mute high strings using the fretting hand, this prevents them though from playing certain licks without needing a fret wrap. Also, you have to find the palm/pinky pressure while doing all of this picking and fretting. So it's a real challenge. The good news is your hand is adapting quickly!! Keep it up!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 15 2020, 03:35 AM) *
Hey Sarge.

Thanks i really deel that its getting more comfortabele and the progress happens faster as i would believe before 🙂

Yes i notice that the most difficult part is to change frets within the pattern.

About the muting. I deel that im searching for the right pressure of the pinky.
All the strings feel good. Only the high e string is the most difficult too mute wel. I will experiment some more with the pressure but now i have some sort of point to focuss on.

I'll keep going. Thanks for your feedback.

Greetz tim

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 15 2020, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 18 2020, 10:06 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Sarge.

Im at 130 bpm now but i start to notice that my pick can be a little bit sharper. Whats the best way to do that?

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 19 2020, 05:36 AM
It's easy smile.gif Just get a sharp pocket knife and follow the bevel of the pick and shave off very thin layers toward the point. Just like you were saving down a piece of wood. Practice on a pick you don't mind destroying at first. You'll get it pretty quickly smile.gif

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 18 2020, 05:06 PM) *
Hey Sarge.

Im at 130 bpm now but i start to notice that my pick can be a little bit sharper. Whats the best way to do that?

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 19 2020, 09:15 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 19 2020, 04:36 AM) *
It's easy smile.gif Just get a sharp pocket knife and follow the bevel of the pick and shave off very thin layers toward the point. Just like you were saving down a piece of wood. Practice on a pick you don't mind destroying at first. You'll get it pretty quickly smile.gif

Allright thanks. I will go for ir tomorrow 😁

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 19 2020, 07:48 PM
Share a picture when you get one ready to go!

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 20 2020, 01:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hé Sarge.

I have another question. I want also to practice some more legato or maybe sweep picking in the future.
The problem is that i don't have hours a day.
Do i need to practice the picking excersises then every day or can i also change it sometimes with tapping or excercises?
So that in week 1 i play picking excersises and share it.
Week 2 legato instead of and share a vid at the end.
Week 3 again the picking excersises. Etc?

Or do i really need to play the excersises every dY? Because legato and tapping is also a part of shredding.

If its necesarry then i have to shift my routines sometimes i think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey sarge,

Here is my new mission. I recorded it on several different speeds. The last one was at 135 Bpm. it was too fast but i think maybe its good to see for you how im dealing with that and if im trying ok smile.gif

Here is also a picture of my pick i sharpened. I will try to play with it tomorrow.

Attached Image

Thanks again

This post has been edited by tflava: Dec 20 2020, 09:38 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2020, 03:23 AM
The most important thing is that you try to practice a bit every day. As to what you play, it just depends on what you are working on. With bootcamp, there are wads of missions that are based on TAPPING/Legato, although many are focused on picking. As you move through them you will start seeing them switch between picking/tapping/legato. You are still in the first batch which are meant just to focus on your basic picking technique. So the good news is that you will get missions with other things than picking so keep moving forward. As for Sweeping and for Bending for that matter, there is not a lot of in built in to bootcamp. There are a few sweep missions but not many. Gabes mentorship program is a great way to add those parts in as gabe is just better at sweeping than I am and one of the most expressive players I've ever heard, his bending is amazing well. I'd say try to blend both programs and you'll never run out of things to try to play and you can switch up back and forth as the mood suits you. It's a great way to keep things interesting. keeping it fun and interesting is the best way forward imho since the real issue that stops people from making progress is that they just get burned out from practicing too much and either slow down or stop playing. This creates gaps of time in their journey that are hard to make up.

As for your pick, looks pointy!! Let me know how it goes. The problem with the Jazz series picks is that they are a bit small. As such they have decreased mass and a little bit of flex/bend. Not to say it won't work, these picks are a far better choice than a typical rounded pick. If you do add more picks to your collection, make sure they are 1.0 mm or better and made of a material that is NOT ultex. Again, ultex is not a bad material. It's stiffer than many other materials. However, it does have a bit more flex than some materials used for making picks. The JTC/IBANEZ picks look good as they are thick pointy and made of material that does not flex at all. They are cheaper than vpicks also. Vpicks are great, but can run five bucks each.

On to your Mission!!! This is good progress soldier!! Just a few missions back you were not able to play with this level of precision at this pace. Your form is very good. That is much improved as well. Keep doing what your doing as it's working. Maybe a bit less hand wag after each pick strike, but that's something that will happen naturally as you continue. Your hand will adapt as your speed increases. I did notice that at the highest speed your hands were struggling to keep up but that's ok. One has to push the envelope in order to get faster. As you continue, you'll break through your speed barriers and that speed will feel like a warm up lick. One way to work on it is to play the lick in one place. don't move it around. Just stay in once spot. This makes things a bit easier for the fingers since they don't have to traverse frets. Once you work up a bit more speed, then start moving around the neck again. You'll notice that you lose some speed when you start moving frets. This is natural. Eventually, this too won't be an issue. After all, part of shredding is running fast licks up the neck. You've got a good handle on this one Soldier you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Dec 20 2020, 08:34 AM) *
Hé Sarge.

I have another question. I want also to practice some more legato or maybe sweep picking in the future.
The problem is that i don't have hours a day.
Do i need to practice the picking excersises then every day or can i also change it sometimes with tapping or excercises?
So that in week 1 i play picking excersises and share it.
Week 2 legato instead of and share a vid at the end.
Week 3 again the picking excersises. Etc?

Or do i really need to play the excersises every dY? Because legato and tapping is also a part of shredding.

If its necesarry then i have to shift my routines sometimes i think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey sarge,

Here is my new mission. I recorded it on several different speeds. The last one was at 135 Bpm. it was too fast but i think maybe its good to see for you how im dealing with that and if im trying ok smile.gif

Here is also a picture of my pick i sharpened. I will try to play with it tomorrow.

Attached Image

Thanks again

+Quote Post
Timmez
Dec 23 2020, 11:55 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Sarge.

I have a question. If i have a lick i have to learn for a song and i Am working for the bootcamp. Can i also practice that lick in the same time? So for examples. Im working on 80 bpm and play the bootcamp lick, then after that i play the other lick. Then ho 85 bpm and play both licks etc.

Is that possible or do i play one lick work my speed up and then work on the other lick from slow and then speed up?

Thanks man

This post has been edited by tflava: Dec 23 2020, 11:56 AM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:25 PM