> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Sidthekid's Thread, for Gab's Army
sidthekid
Nov 15 2016, 07:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great lesson! I went through it, found 2-3 new licks that I really like smile.gif Some of them I've heard before, since I've learned the Sweet child of Mine and Slither solos, these hard blues-rock licks are my favourite type \m/

So I think these days are a crucial period, a type of test, for me to learn to improvise according to scales and finally have a breakthrough. I will try my best!

Like I went through this lesson -
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Poor_Man_Blues_Solo/

Its backing track is the 12-bar blues in E, so
E-E-E-E
A-A-E-E
B-A-E-B

I saw that first the solo plays notes from the Bm pentatonic then shifts to Em pentatonic, then back to Bm, then finally back to Em pentatonic. I thought that was it, but it seems all the notes I THOUGHT were from the Bm pentatonic scale, could actually come under the E minor chart diagram at the bottom of the Lesson Description.
So what scale is the instructor playing the whole time? Is it the E minor/E minor pentatonic (hybrid) only, the whole time?

Also, if I want to improvise on this backing track -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu7lPZGfZKs
its chords are Em-G-D-C. Are there any specific scales I should be on during any of the chords? Or should I just roam around on the Em hybrid scale? Is there any music theory for this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 16 2016, 05:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

the instructor on the blues lesson is using a concept called "following the chords". The scale is mostly E pentatonic minor, however there are some extra notes (2) that are taken from E minor scale, mostly when the backing goes to A.

The chords from the progression are minor. So what he is exactly doing in this solo targeting the notes from each chord, and using the notes from the pentatonic as passsing notes to create the phrases.

Try it by yourself. Work on small parts of the neck and play Em arpeggio every time that Em minor sounds, and A minor arpeggio when this chord sounds:

Once you can do it, do the same but also using E pentatonic minor scale as a template to create phrases.

You'll notice that if you combine all these notes, you'll get E minor scale which is the scale suggested by the instructor. The trick is not which notes you play, the trick is WHEN.

Does it make sense?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Dec 1 2016, 06:51 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 16 2016, 04:39 PM) *
Try it by yourself. Work on small parts of the neck and play Em arpeggio every time that Em minor sounds, and A minor arpeggio when this chord sounds:

Hey Gab, I tried your above suggestion, it makes sense yes. I recorded two videos of me, playing the Em Arpeggio notes (with emphasis on ending a phrase on E/B) during the Em chords, and Am notes (with emphasis on ending a phrase on A/C) during the Am and Bm chords. Also used the pentatonic scale notes as passing notes.

I also noticed that I don't really listen to the sound of the notes I play, and how they sound with the chords, but I link/connect more with the visual structure/ box position/ lick structure. As in, I try to fit the licks I already know onto the chords without matching the sound, that's something I will work more on.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2016, 02:04 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, good! This is a great first step into this direction. The next exercise that I recommend doing is to play the closest chord tone when a chord changes to give the solo a smoother direction. At this moment, I can hear that every time the chord changes, you start a new arpeggio, the idea is that this change happens more naturally.

Also try to start creating more musical phrases, using pentatonic but focusing on chord tones. Again, the following the chords concepts should be natural. People must think that you player the right note at each moment, not that you are changing the shape everytime the chord changes.

This is not easy, but keep on working with these ideas in mind and it will slowly happen.

Keep the great job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Dec 8 2016, 04:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely making some progress, also I found an awesome website Hook Theory ( https://www.hooktheory.com/trends ) that lets you choose a chord progression and see popular songs in that progression. I'm on it all day biggrin.gif

Can you give me another video to work on, something that I can go for REC? What should I progress in next, I think I will start Todd's shredfest challenge from Jan so please give me a difficult one biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 9 2016, 06:43 AM
Instructor
That's a cool site! Thanks for sharing!

What about giving a try to this lesson?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stevie...pired_Phrasing/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Dec 9 2016, 08:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Whoa this is an awesome lesson! The fast parts are just on the edge of my playing ability...I'll definitely try my best on it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 10 2016, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Cool! It's one of my favorites.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
Dec 16 2016, 05:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Gabriel, here's my take. I can work on it more and try to make a REC before next weekend!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2016, 05:37 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, that's really good!

There are some details regarding your playing that can be fixed but the overall sounds really close, congrats friend! smile.gif

The main thing that I would improve on this one to share a REC take is your tone, and the mix sound. It doesn't sound good, how are you recording this? It sounds like if it would be low fi.... what amp are you using?

Then, regarding playing, be careful with timing, you tend to play licks after the beat so pay attention to it. Besides this, there are some obvious details to adjust in some licks close to the end, but again, this is really good!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
May 20 2018, 05:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Gab! Been a long while since I posted here! Doing some RECs nowadays, my playing's definitely improved.
I was doing this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/, wanted to ask if I can use my third finger instead of the 2nd finger for playing the vibrato notes. I don't really bend with the 2nd finger alot, mainly use the first or 3rd fingers...so is that ok?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 21 2018, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, great to hear from you!!

Using your third finger won't avoid you to pass at REC but I strongly recommend to also practice with your second finger since you'll need to be able to bend and do vibrato will each of your fretting hand fingers.

Are you using finger 1 to help your finger 2 when bending?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
sidthekid
May 21 2018, 06:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 21 2018, 01:32 PM) *
Hi mate, great to hear from you!!

Using your third finger won't avoid you to pass at REC but I strongly recommend to also practice with your second finger since you'll need to be able to bend and do vibrato will each of your fretting hand fingers.

Are you using finger 1 to help your finger 2 when bending?

Hey yea, I had lots of academic/job work last year, learned singing and keys too so the guitar was ignored. But now I've got a good recording setup and look forward to getting back biggrin.gif

Yes I use the finger 1 behind 2 for bending. Ok I will practice with both fingers, anyway I can't do the fastest part properly with any finger right now, I usually bend the string up so downwards is new for me.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 23 2018, 12:10 AM
Instructor
Well, take your time for practice and to get used to it. This lesson is specially designed to improve your vibrato (as well as your bending) so it's a good moment to master these techniques. If you don't do it know, you'll regret it later.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:44 AM