4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Petitkyu's Bootcamp!, Welcome to the Path of the Warrior!
petitkyu
Apr 15 2021, 08:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Sarge,

I've been trying to follow your advices, and worked at a single position...
I am more or less able to reach 190 bpm... but then comes another difficulty: the metronome goes too fast for me to be sure that I am right on the click.... I think I could go faster, but with no real control on the speed...

Here is my attempt at 190 bpm:

I'm afraid that for the mission, 170 bpm remains my limit...

what do you think?

Laurent

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Apr 18 2021, 08:19 PM
Hey Sarge,

I hope you are feeling better now! Some you have the feeling that the vaccine might be worse than the actual disease... but I am convinced it's worth in this case!

I've been trying to increase the speed on mission 8...
Here it is at 170 bpm

at 180 bpm (not far from my limit...)

and at 190bpm (this last one is just for the challenge... it's really over my limit right now!).

What do you think!!

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 19 2021, 03:55 AM
GMC:er
IMPRESSIVE!!!! This is very good work soldier. You took all of the advice and put it to good use and and then put in the practice. That's the real secret about getting better. it doesn't occur as a matter of leaps and bounds, but more inch by inch. This can be daunting until one embraces each inch as a it's own measure of progress and success. Each success builds on the last and and your skill will grow and grow and grow.

Very well played here. The key to this Mission is being able to play a very complicated pattern on beat. I really focus on keeping this one on target and it does take a bit of repetition. This pattern that you are doing is called a 'Scale inversion" and it's a complex pattern that challenges the fingers. It makes a great warmup and gets the blood flowing. This one is too complex to shred, but it is perfect for building a relationship with the beat, with time. Being able to play "in time" is a crucial part of being a great player. Your timing has improved quite a bit since you started working on this Mission and you have earned your badge Soldier. You are ready for what awaits!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!

P.S. I agree about the vaccine. It's worth the trouble it causes smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Apr 18 2021, 03:19 PM) *
Hey Sarge,

I hope you are feeling better now! Some you have the feeling that the vaccine might be worse than the actual disease... but I am convinced it's worth in this case!

I've been trying to increase the speed on mission 8...
Here it is at 170 bpm

at 180 bpm (not far from my limit...)

and at 190bpm (this last one is just for the challenge... it's really over my limit right now!).

What do you think!!

Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 19 2021, 03:57 AM

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Apr 25 2021, 08:03 PM
Hey Sarge!

I hope you are feeling better now!

I've been working on mission 9 for one week... although the left hand pattern seems rather simple, it seems to me to be very demanding on the left hand's muscles...

Nevertheless, here is a take at 120 bpm (as triplets):

I wanted to put a video at 130 bpm (which is a little be too fast right now) but for some reasons, I can't have Reaper to record another take... I spent half an hour to try to find out what was wrong.... but no way. mad.gif

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 26 2021, 06:38 AM
Well fought Soldier!! You are putting all of the elements together and it's starting to work!! This one does look simple on paper. After all, it's just 3 notes. The shape doesn't change. It's just the same shape, on two strings, marched up one fret at a time. Simple right? Well, sorta. Once you start playing it, your hands start to realize that this is going to be a bit more work than it first might appear. Due to the fact that we are only moving one fret at a time, the fingers really get to work quite a bit as they march up the neck. Also, good use of the pinky here. It's tough to march up the neck and lead with the pinky and you did a fine job of it. Nice!

Solid mute, good hand synch, clean pick strikes, Nice! This makes a very good warmup lick and it's good for working on your endurance. Make sure to keep your grip on the guitar and the pick as loose as you can, and see how many times you can run this up the neck. Don't play to the point of pain, ever. But, running this up and then changing to a new couple of strings, lower or higher, is a great workout for the hands.

You've got this Soldier!!
You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Apr 25 2021, 03:03 PM) *
Hey Sarge!

I hope you are feeling better now!

I've been working on mission 9 for one week... although the left hand pattern seems rather simple, it seems to me to be very demanding on the left hand's muscles...

Nevertheless, here is a take at 120 bpm (as triplets):

I wanted to put a video at 130 bpm (which is a little be too fast right now) but for some reasons, I can't have Reaper to record another take... I spent half an hour to try to find out what was wrong.... but no way. mad.gif

Laurent

+Quote Post
petitkyu
May 10 2021, 09:42 PM
Hey Sarge,

that last mission was a pain! I struggled quite a bit before being able to record something...

Here it is at 150 bpm

at 160 bpm

and an attempt at 170 bpm

have an nice day!
Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 11 2021, 05:27 AM
Congrats Soldier!!! This Missions is a big ROAD BLOCK. It is meant to serve as a barrier. There are several like it. It's meant to be a bit of a stumbling block to force you to dig deep and find your inner power. The good news is that you have done just that!!!! This is a "Inversion" lesson. This way of playing a scale is by far my favorite. It's not something that everyone can do to be honest. You'll notice many top players using this type of lick and making it look easy. You've just joined the ranks of people who actually play this. it's not easy and it takes work. It's a bit tricky, a bit of a finger twister. Most players avoid these type of licks as they often see them as more work than they are worth. After all, it's not a "shred" lick, it's impossible to play it very fast. It's not a "sweep" lick, so it doesn't sound like an trendy 8bit video game. It's a lot work to add some texture. I do think it's worth it as it will give your guitar solo work a bit of something that other solos just lack. character. Now that you have it down, I'd love to see you try to MULTI PICK it!!! I know you've worked quite hard on this Id like to challenge you even further. This is OPTIONAL of course. if you think it's beyond your current available time/etc. Feel free to decline.

If you decide to take it on, try to "double pick" play each note twice or triple or quad pick it. Multi picking is a new world of picking. it's not for the timid. I see a boldness in your playing that makes me think it might be fore you. Just add it in with your next vid if you like wink.gif

For this one, you just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ May 10 2021, 04:42 PM) *
Hey Sarge,

that last mission was a pain! I struggled quite a bit before being able to record something...

Here it is at 150 bpm

at 160 bpm

and an attempt at 170 bpm

have an nice day!
Laurent

+Quote Post
petitkyu
May 17 2021, 09:33 PM
Hi Sarge,

I gave a try to your multipack challenge... I first planned to record it at 100 bpm to stay on the safe side... I forgot that the default speed in reaper was 120 bpm... rolleyes.gif It was quite tricky to maintain speed when playing quatruplets....

Here it is !

what do you think?
Still working on mission 11...

have a nice day!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 18 2021, 01:33 AM
WELL DONE!! Multipicking is a skill unto itself. Some folks have real trouble with it but you have adapted very well. Nice!! it's a great way to add texture and more notes to a solo passage and a great way to work on your picking!! You did quite well on this and kept a solid mute the entire time.

What did you think about it? Was it challenging? I'd say try to do a multi pick version of just about every mission (you don't have to include it in your mission video if you don't want to, it's just something to help you get better as a player)

I'm glad you chose to dive in to this Soldier!!! Super congrats on nailing it!!

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ May 17 2021, 04:33 PM) *
Hi Sarge,

I gave a try to your multipack challenge... I first planned to record it at 100 bpm to stay on the safe side... I forgot that the default speed in reaper was 120 bpm... rolleyes.gif It was quite tricky to maintain speed when playing quatruplets....

Here it is !

what do you think?
Still working on mission 11...

have a nice day!

+Quote Post
petitkyu
May 25 2021, 08:22 PM
Hi Todd,

here is my attempt at mission 11...
at 150 bpm:

at 160 bpm:

What do you think?

About the multipick challenge, I have the feeling that it is my fretting hand that is my limit when trying to increase speed... So I find mulitpicking easier, as it gives more time to my left hand... biggrin.gif

Have a nice day!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2021, 01:58 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!! I can see a lot of progress here. You have very good hand synch going on and above all, you are synched up with the metronome. This is a HUGE achievement. Being able to play a complicated pattern and not loose track of the beat is a tricky thing. The brain has to not only focus on several things at once while playing, but in addition, you have to listen for the click and make sure you are picking in time with the click. so your listening to your playing while listening to the click and integrating it all. This is great practice for the future when you play with a backing track and or play with other musicians. In both cases, you have to listen to your own playing while listening to something else at the same time. Being able to integrate a backing/click track and synch it up with your playing is a key skill. You've made big strides Soldier! Also, your technique is on point! Solid picking, fretting, use of the pinky, it's all there!!! I like your palm mute position as well.

The only adjustment I"d say to focus on for the next mission is to perhaps put a pinch more pressure on your palm mute in order to create more separation between the notes you are playing. This is not always needed, but it is often needed here in bootcamp. It's the next step on your journey!!

You've got this one sorted Soldier!!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ May 25 2021, 03:22 PM) *
Hi Todd,

here is my attempt at mission 11...
at 150 bpm:

at 160 bpm:

What do you think?

About the multipick challenge, I have the feeling that it is my fretting hand that is my limit when trying to increase speed... So I find mulitpicking easier, as it gives more time to my left hand... biggrin.gif

Have a nice day!

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Jun 6 2021, 08:36 PM
Hi Sarge,

I hope you are doing well!

Here are my attempts at mission 12
110 bpm:

120 bpm:

and for the fun of it, 130 bpm (in my good days, I can nearly reach 140 bpm, but not with the video on!):

What do you think?

have a nice day!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2021, 03:15 AM
You are doing a great job of fingering the lick and keeping your hands in synch but your drifting away from the metrono once you get about half way down the neck. Watch your vids again and see if you can notice it. Being able to focus on several things at once is not easy, especially when playing something tricky and trying to match it to the metronome. I think you may be focusing on speed a bit more than listening to the click. You can clearly play this quite fast but you are rushing it just a bit. Make sure sure it lines up with the metronome all the way down the neck. Maybe slow it down just a pinch and focus more on keeping it steady with the click. You've got this soldier, I know you can do it!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Jun 6 2021, 03:36 PM) *
Hi Sarge,

I hope you are doing well!

Here are my attempts at mission 12
110 bpm:

120 bpm:

and for the fun of it, 130 bpm (in my good days, I can nearly reach 140 bpm, but not with the video on!):

What do you think?

have a nice day!

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Jun 7 2021, 07:31 PM
Hi Sarge,

you are right... I am really focussing on speed...
iIn this take, at 110 bpm, I really try to listen to the metronome... not that easy...

have a nice day!

This post has been edited by petitkyu: Jun 7 2021, 08:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 8 2021, 07:31 AM
Now your talking! you've got very solid techinque here Soldier and in addition your new rushing it at the end and your staying no top of the beat. If you want to push the speed, this is a great drill for it since it's very linear and you don't have to traverse strings every other note. So i'd say keep this one in your warm up set and push the BPM just a bit each time until you are burning down the neck. It's a fun lick. Also, you can run it in reverse. As a brain workout, see if you can flip to an ascending note just as something to play with. You can run it descending and then ascending back up. It's the double pick on each position that makes it sound faster than it actually is. I love single string licks. They are always fun and always a good workout.

You've got this one sorted. You are ready for what's next!!

You just....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Jun 7 2021, 02:31 PM) *
Hi Sarge,

you are right... I am really focussing on speed...
iIn this take, at 110 bpm, I really try to listen to the metronome... not that easy...

have a nice day!

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Jul 21 2021, 08:27 PM
Hi Sarge,

I hope you are doing well.... now that my forefinger has reached back its normal size, I am able again to practice....
Here is an attempt at mission 13 at 120 bpm....

what do you think ?
Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2021, 09:31 PM
Well Fought Soldier!! This is a very tricky lick and you are playing it at speed! You keep up with the metronome without rushing or lagging and keep the whole thing together. There are so many notes in this that it makes it very easy to miss just one and then you gotta start the whole thing over! This is called a "scale inversion" and it's one of my favorite ways to play a scale. Also, it's one of my fave things to do when soloing. I will take just a few notes from part of this, and blend it in with a solo. You have good hand synch going and your pick strikes are very clean. The only thing I'd suggest on your mute is to press down a bit harder sometimes to give a stronger mute which will keep other notes from sustaining beyond where you want them to sustain. It's something that takes time and we will work on it as we go!

You've got this Soldier. You are ready for what's next! You've got good momentum going Soldier. Keep it up! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Jul 21 2021, 03:27 PM) *
Hi Sarge,

I hope you are doing well.... now that my forefinger has reached back its normal size, I am able again to practice....
Here is an attempt at mission 13 at 120 bpm....

what do you think ?
Laurent

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 21 2021, 09:43 PM

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Aug 30 2021, 09:56 PM
Hey Sarge,

I am back in the field! I hope you are doing well!

Here is a first attempt at mission 14 at 140 bpm

150 bpm:

and 160 bpm (which, I fear, is currently above my limit!!):

For some reasons, I am no more able to record the sound track in Reaper. So it is a direct take from my phone... sorry for the low quality!
What do you think?

Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2021, 04:36 AM
Welcome back to the fight Soldier!!! Well fought!!! Great strat too!! Tone is great and your technique is spot on. To wit!

Congrats! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (petitkyu @ Aug 30 2021, 04:56 PM) *
Hey Sarge,

I am back in the field! I hope you are doing well!

Here is a first attempt at mission 14 at 140 bpm

150 bpm:

and 160 bpm (which, I fear, is currently above my limit!!):

For some reasons, I am no more able to record the sound track in Reaper. So it is a direct take from my phone... sorry for the low quality!
What do you think?

Laurent

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Sep 6 2021, 08:55 PM
Hi Sarge,

reporting for mission 15!
I am not completely happy with the timing...

140 bpm:

150 bpm:

160 bpm:

170 bpm:

what do you think?
Laurent

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:23 AM