Quick Licks #69 Pinch Harmonics On The Fly Part 2
Todd Simpson
Mar 2 2019, 09:21 PM
GMC:er
In this Quick Lick we are going to do pinch/squeal harmonics during a descending scale shape. It's important to be able to grab the pinch on the run and this will help you do it!! Players like ZAKK WYLDE are masters of the Pinch. He can grab a pinch harmonic at any time at any place on the neck. It's very important to be able to hit a pinch without having to stop, change hand positions, make the pinch, and then start moving again. This drill will help you be able to hit them on the fly!!!

Attached Image
Attached File  69.gp5 ( 1.83K ) Number of downloads: 231

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This is not hard once you give it a few reps. Give it a go!

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 2 2019, 09:27 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Mar 24 2019, 07:41 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 25 2019, 01:02 AM
Bingo!! This one requires that you do pinch harmonics on each and every string. You may have noticed they are often harder to get on the wound strings compared to the unwound strings. Your timing is good here, form is good as well, it's all there! Also, I liked the improv at the end! Very nice touch for a good take on #69. This means of course that you just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!
*You remain our TOP DAWG in Quick Licks!! Congrats smile.gif

Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Mar 24 2019, 02:41 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 25 2019, 01:02 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 12 2019, 09:27 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 Sarge

https://youtu.be/YUmg8f6Skx4

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 13 2019, 01:02 AM
BINGO! That's it smile.gif Nicely done. Some folks have a lot of trouble with this one. Playing pinch harmonics on various strings can be tricky work indeed. Some folks never quite get to grips with it. I'm glad to say it looks like you have come to grips with it just fine smile.gif The wound strings are more tricky to get a pinch on but that doesn't seem to slow you down smile.gif
You just
LEVELED UP!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 12 2019, 04:27 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 13 2019, 08:43 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd,

I struggled for a very long time many moons ago, then suddenly I got to a point where I struggled to stop them happening laugh.gif then it evolved into being able to do them at will on the G string, then I took many years out due to lack of progress which was due to lack of direction and noodling the same old thing so I've had to reinstate that skill somewhat.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2019, 02:59 AM
It worked!!!!! smile.gif Much congrats!

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 13 2019, 03:43 AM) *
Thanks Todd,

I struggled for a very long time many moons ago, then suddenly I got to a point where I struggled to stop them happening laugh.gif then it evolved into being able to do them at will on the G string, then I took many years out due to lack of progress which was due to lack of direction and noodling the same old thing so I've had to reinstate that skill somewhat.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 22 2020, 04:54 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 10:04 PM
Yet again PERFECT! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Muted for the notes in the scale bit, then full vibrato and unmuted for the pinch harmonic. It's the difference between the muted notes and the unmuted pinch squeal with vibrato that makes this work. It's very similar to what one might play in a solo. A few chunky notes and then a big squeal. This requires good vibrato to work properly. otherwise, the lick just doesn't sound very good. Tepid and shallow vibrato doesn't go well with pinch harmonics. Very good execution here. You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2020, 11:54 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 14 2021, 11:26 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 15 2021, 04:30 AM
Good one!! This is a challenge for everyone. Getting pinch harmonics on wound strings is always more tricky than getting them on unwound strings. I notice that you missed on the lowest pinch but you still had good vibrato on it. It's very good to see your vibrato making such good progress. You've worked hard on it and it's coming along nicely!! Keep it up!! Also, Pinch Harmonics work best when some vibrato is applied. There are wads of bits that need vibrato in order to work. So being able to have good vibrato is crucial to being a well rounded player. Keep pushing it!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Mar 14 2021, 06:26 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:24 AM