How Do I Rise My Floyd Rose Bridge?
braer1
Feb 23 2010, 03:13 PM
GMC:er
Hey!! I have just bought a new guitar, a LTD M-103FM, and i need to change strings and rise the bridge, now when i play the strings tuches the fretboard so i get very bad sound, can annyone help me? smile.gif

http://www.alpha-music.com/ProductCart/pc/...4180048454X.jpg

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ZakkWylde
Feb 23 2010, 03:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
The Tremolo sits in two screws, you have to turn these to raise or lower the bridge!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 23 2010, 03:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 23 2010, 03:21 PM) *
The Tremolo sits in two screws, you have to turn these to raise or lower the bridge!

And adjust spring tension in addition to those 2 screws for fine balance.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
braer1
Feb 23 2010, 03:29 PM
do you know anny pics or annything? i have never done this before smile.gif

+Quote Post
braer1
Feb 23 2010, 04:03 PM
arrrgh! i broke one of the screws when i was changing strings:(

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2010, 04:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (braer1 @ Feb 23 2010, 04:03 PM) *
arrrgh! i broke one of the screws when i was changing strings:(

What do you mean by broke one of the screws?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
braer1
Feb 23 2010, 05:21 PM
when i had put in the new string and i was gonna tighten it i broke the screw. sad.gif it broke in half

This post has been edited by braer1: Feb 23 2010, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2010, 05:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (braer1 @ Feb 23 2010, 05:21 PM) *
when i had put in the new string and i was gonna tighten it i broke the screw. sad.gif it broke in half

That's weird, man! Unless you were really violent with it, I don't think that's supposed to happen!

How old is the guitar and did you buy it new etc? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Feb 23 2010, 05:25 PM
Instructor
that's one delicate screw man ohmy.gif
go to the store and ask for a new guitar.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
braer1
Feb 23 2010, 05:43 PM
ohmy.gif there was only that guitar left, i got it cheap because of that sad.gif hmm cant i just buy a new screw?

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Feb 23 2010, 05:44 PM
Instructor
yes you can, but that's not normal bro.. im just saying.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2010, 05:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yes, I'm sure you can, man. But I'd ask for it free laugh.gif It can't be right that it breaks like that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 23 2010, 05:59 PM
Instructor
Everything can breaks, you probably over tighten it, and I mean OVER tighten.
Many people make same mistakes,
screws that hold string on bridge (and ones on locking nut as well)
don't need heavy pressure at all, tiny turn just to caught it and that it.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Feb 23 2010, 08:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Feb 23 2010, 11:59 AM) *
Everything can breaks, you probably over tighten it, and I mean OVER tighten.
Many people make same mistakes,
screws that hold string on bridge (and ones on locking nut as well)
don't need heavy pressure at all, tiny turn just to caught it and that it.

You have to be delicate with it man .... I have an ESP f-200 and I already broke a few parts of the tremolo, you really have to be soft with it.... Before trying to rise the bridge I think you should look at the tension of your springs...

If you put on some smaller strings you may have to take off a spring.... and if you put some bigger string you may want to put another springs in it....

Remember it takes a lot of patience to work with a Floyd Rose...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 23 2010, 08:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Woah, you guys must be colossuses or titans smile.gif I've never broken anything on any tremelo that I've fiddled with, and I haven't exactly been gentle smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Feb 23 2010, 08:37 PM
I bent one of the fine-tuners on this old ibanez roadstar but ... I wasn't fiddling. In fact, I don't remember when that happened but I think the instrument actually fell on its face after being knocked off a stand.

Anyway, the good news is that a screw is for the most part just a screw. Take it with you to a hardware store and buy a few spares for very little cost.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Feb 23 2010, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Feb 23 2010, 02:37 PM) *
I bent one of the fine-tuners on this old ibanez roadstar but ... I wasn't fiddling. In fact, I don't remember when that happened but I think the instrument actually fell on its face after being knocked off a stand.

Anyway, the good news is that a screw is for the most part just a screw. Take it with you to a hardware store and buy a few spares for very little cost.

I am sorry to hear this but as many have metioned, these parts can break easily.

Some advice:

Never over tighten and always use a allen key that is in good shape (Not worn around the edges)

If you use a bad allen key, you can strip the locking nuts and you would have to replace them as you are right now.

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Feb 23 2010, 08:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 23 2010, 02:33 PM) *
Woah, you guys must be colossuses or titans smile.gif I've never broken anything on any tremelo that I've fiddled with, and I haven't exactly been gentle smile.gif

I think that the Foyd Rose they put in the LTD guitar isn't built too strong... I have never had any problems with my other guitar bridge ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
braer1
Feb 23 2010, 09:46 PM
is all these screws the same on floyd rose? i mean same demension and stuff, sorry for bad english smile.gif

This post has been edited by braer1: Feb 23 2010, 09:46 PM

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Feb 23 2010, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (braer1 @ Feb 23 2010, 03:46 PM) *
is all these screws the same on floyd rose? i mean same demension and stuff, sorry for bad english smile.gif

No .... an especially with the cheap Floyd Rose they are all made in different factory and nothing is standard on them.... Well if you have a Licensed Floyd Rose it is like this...

I broke a saddle a few years ago and when I brang that saddle to the luther he had never seen such a shape.... he gave me a piece that was different but that fitted in my trem....

Maybe the store where you bought your guitar would be able to give you those parts tho...

Good luck

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:24 AM