How Long For Changing Strings ?
Ben Higgins
May 23 2012, 06:11 PM
Instructor
How long does it take you guys to change a pair of strings on your guitar ?

I estimate that when changing strings on my Floyd Rose equipped Jackson it takes me around 20-25 mins and when changing strings on my main guitar with the fixed bridge it's probably about 15-20 mins. That's with a recent upgrade of a string winder which makes my life so much easier ! biggrin.gif

How about you ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bossie
May 23 2012, 06:14 PM
GMC:er
About 45 mins...i'm slow! what's that special upgrade??

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Opetholic
May 23 2012, 06:17 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 23 2012, 05:11 PM) *
How long does it take you guys to change a pair of strings on your guitar ?

I estimate that when changing strings on my Floyd Rose equipped Jackson it takes me around 20-25 mins and when changing strings on my main guitar with the fixed bridge it's probably about 15-20 mins. That's with a recent upgrade of a string winder which makes my life so much easier ! biggrin.gif

How about you ?

It would take me about half an hour to change the whole set of strings on my fixed bridge guitar, a bit more on the floating bridge. But then again, during each string changing session I try to clean my guitar as good as possible. I use one of these Gibson guitar care packs tongue.gif So then it takes longer time.. Another question is, how often do you change strings, assuming you work on the average say 2 hours per day and have no gigs ??

Cheers,
O.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 23 2012, 06:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
I can change strings in about 15 minutes without locking tuners - what slows me down is the high-e string on my ibanez neck - only about 6 inches of string to work with when winding around the thingy. But like Opetholic, I spend a good 15 minutes polishing the frets and cleaning the goo off the board smile.gif

I play so much that if I changed my strings every x-hours of play time, I'd go broke, so I tend to change strings only before a gig or when they really become too dead to enjoy. This last set lasted me 2 months! Just changed them last night for my Thursday Show.

cheers!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Tangomouse
May 23 2012, 07:01 PM
GMC:er
around 25 mins to change my acoustic strings which i did few days ago, but i also gave it a good clean too and thats without tuning

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 23 2012, 07:19 PM
Instructor
I have never paid attention to this by I think that it takes around 25 or 30 minutes. I don't have a string winder but it seems to be a good tool. I try to do this at least 2 days before a show.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 23 2012, 09:48 PM
Instructor
Interesting answers guys.. it seems there's an average of about 25 mins smile.gif

I must admit that I didn't clean the fingerboard too thoroughly, just a brief looking at wink.gif

String winders definitely make a difference although I wasn't feeling the advantage too much on the reverse headstock !

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 24 2012, 01:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
since I bought my newest guitar ( hellraiser with a floyd ) it took me a year to change them ( since I am not in a band anymore)but it took me about 40 minutes

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 24 2012, 05:32 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I had to change my strings so I timed myself after seeing this thread. smile.gif It took me 20 minutes to wipe off the fretboard, put on strings, and tune up.

I used to be obsessed with the Gibson polishing care pack. I don't polish my guitars too much anymore cause it just reminds me of all the dents and dings I have in them. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2012, 10:32 AM
Instructor
For me, it's about 20-25 minutes, assuming I'm talking about fixed bridges and also a neck and body dust-off and polishing wink.gif I hate having my axes dirty.

+Quote Post
derper
May 24 2012, 10:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Restringing my parker is QUICK, especially with the sperzel locking tuners. I always carry a string winder, and needle-nose pliers to clip the string.

But, I generally have to clean it pretty well. For example, I sweat all over it during our EMULATOR show last weekend!

And, because of the sweat/hardened steel frets, I have to change strings every 2 weeks on average. Otherwise, I can FEEL the fret grooves on the strings, which kills the sounds a bit.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:13 PM