Pedalboard Into Computer
Brandon Earman
Mar 14 2011, 06:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Is there any way to play your physical pedal board into your computer without an amp? What would be the best way to do this? I want to be able to use my pedals with computer VST amp modeling.

Thanks. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 14 2011, 07:10 PM
GMC:er
I don't see why you can't just D/I through the Mic Line. Just be careful of your level settings!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Mar 14 2011, 07:22 PM
Learning Roadie
I currently use a Pod GX with Pod Farm. I suppose I could just plug my pedal board into the GX?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 14 2011, 07:30 PM
You could go that route!
I didn't realise you had an interface!!
When doing reviews of single pedals I put them straight through into the mike line so that there's no outside colouring of the sound.
Although, having said that, I use an M-Audio interface and have no trouble running a Pedal Chain through it into my DAW!
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 14 2011, 09:12 PM
Instructor
It's an instrument input, so using pedalboard in front of it should be fine, no problem there. Bare in mind that you can clip your signal easily then, so watch the levels on the pedals.

Also, keep in mind that your stomps will react differently as opposed to real amp. You will need to adjust the settings a bit.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Mar 15 2011, 02:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Alright guys, thanks for the input.. I'll see what I can get working and maybe record some samples.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Mar 15 2011, 03:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah I remember whenever I used to play without a cabinet and the sound was bad. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Mar 15 2011, 09:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
You could always put a sansamp amp emulator pedal at the end. They are made to be able to record direct. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 15 2011, 10:42 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'm curious about this also.

I have a GX and an X3, I guess either of them could work as input. But given that there's no amp after the pedal chain, would I need to keep the amp/cab emulation on? Otherwise it will sound bad I guess.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 15 2011, 08:06 PM
Instructor
Without cab emulation it can prove to be good for direct clean tones with delay, chorus, reverb, possibly even flanger or wah (on clean settings).

As soon as you introduce overdrive/distortion it sounds terrible without cab emulation.

With the pedalboard you will need at least cab emulation, but if you have amp/cab it can be good as well.

The problem with putting your pedalboard into a digital device is that it clips the signal sharply, so you need to watch the levels. This means you are very limited in ability to create boosts with your overdrive/distortion pedal. On the other hand, you have lots of amp/cab emulations at your disposal, so you can choose the one that fits best.

I strongly advise that you don't stick (for example) to Marshall emulation just because this is your favorite amp. Go through all the models and tweak with your ears not your eyes. Your tone will be much better.

Work one pedal at a time, and start with overdrive/distortion pedals first. Start with one pedal, and go through all the settings on it, and all settings in the software. Then go to another etc..

Once you go through the ovedrive/distortion phase, other effects are a bit easier to work with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 16 2011, 10:49 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Thanks Ivan smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 16 2011, 04:12 PM
Great advice Ivan! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 19 2011, 09:39 PM
Instructor
Glad to help guys, cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:00 PM