Would Any Of You Who Is Experienced In Gear Join Me?
axes
Aug 22 2009, 12:19 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys!

Would any of you join me in chat? I'm thinking about buying a new amp, and I'm interested in your opinions.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Aug 22 2009, 01:27 AM
what style do you play, whats your budget, how loud does it need to be (home use, rehearsal, clubs, stadiums) any personal preferences?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 22 2009, 03:08 AM
Ok guys, here's the deal.

I have a Marshall 6100LM 30th Anniversary all-tube head now. It's an amazing sounding head, pretty versatile as well, but when I bought it, I was mostly into blues and hard rock, and now I'm a lot more into instrumental rock (like Vai and Satch). I didn't play live yet, but now I've got the chance to show what I know, and I want it to be perfect (or at least as perfect as it can be).

Anways, the reasons I decided to sell my Marshall are:
  • I'm after a more modern, high-gain tone, and this head can't really do it.
  • I can't afford to buy effects for my Marshall, so I'll need an amp within the budget that still sounds good, and I have some money left for effects as well.

What's also really important is that I live in Hungary, where prices are double compared to the USA, so I'm mostly thinking in used stuff, and can't go over my 1300-1500$ budget (that's the price the Marshall will sell at if everything goes ok).

The things I'd need from the amp and effect-wise:
  • It should be a head, because I'd like to use it with my Hiwatt Custom 4*12 Fane-loaded cab.
  • The tone I'm after is Vai-ish and Satriani-ish, and my main focus is on the lead tone, but I'd still like to have a nice clean channel, too. Also, I'm really into versatility, so it would be nice to have a 3 channel head (but it isn't a major preference for me).
  • It should have an effects loop, as I'm planning to get a TC G-Major for the effects (or stompboxes, haven't decided yet, and depends heavily on how much money I'll have left after getting the new amp)
  • About the effects, what I'd really like to have is: delay, reverb, chorus and maybe a compressor (and of course, all of these at an affordable price but in at least decent quality).

The things I've considered yet:
  • Getting a Line6 Spider Valve, as it seems to have a great versatlity and tone, and it's an all-tube head after all, not to mention it's cheap even new, and has all the effects I'd like to have as well.
  • Getting a (most likely) used high-gain amp (what I thought about was Carvin Legacy because it's pretty cheap used. Also, I don't know what other heads that sound like my preferred tone could fit into my budget) and getting a used G-Major, too, for effects.
  • Getting any of these from the States or the EU, but this won't work because the shipping, insurance, and the taxes cost way too much to make it worth.

Also, my biggest aim is to get something that I won't regret buying a few months later. In Hungary, it's pretty hard to try out lots of amps, and we don't have stores for all brands (the used stuff almost always comes from different countries).

Could you please consider my needs and likings, and give me advices about what should I look into, or what would be the best options for me?

Oh, and another note: from the things I wrote, you may get the impression I'm a snobistic and picky so n so, with too much time on his hands, but I'm not. I'm just not that good at English so that I could really explain my thoughts, so I try to write down every little detail I can.

Thank you so much in advance guys smile.gif

edit for language - Chris

This post has been edited by Chris Evans: Sep 14 2009, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 22 2009, 07:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well if you dont want that Marshall sound it kinda rules out Blackstar and all the other Marshall clones, I've not heard the carvin stuff so cant comment. The immediate one that springs to mind is the Mesa Rectifiers, though I'm not sure of the availability and price where you are, im pretty sure they would be readily available in germany if thats feasible.
I would also look into Engl's mate, they are expensive but have a high quality modern gain sound, Muris has one!
The last one that springs to mind would be Joe's Peavey JSX range, it would be around 1150 british pounds here so quite within your budget for the head only, thse are the specs from the website:

# 120 watts into 16, 8, or 4 ohms (switchable)
# Four EL34s and four 12AX7s
# Power amp switchable to use EL34s or 6L6GSs
# Three footswitchable channels
# Clean channel: volume, bass, mid, treble
# Crunch channel: gain and volume, bass, mid, treble EQ and FAT switch
# Ultra channel: gain and volume, bass, mid, treble EQ and FAT switch
# Noise gate control for both distortion channels
# Master volume
# Footswitchable effects loop with send and return controls
# Resonance and Presence controls
# Line out with level control
# Footswitch included

And a nice demo:

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 22 2009, 11:50 AM
QUOTE (sted @ Aug 22 2009, 08:58 AM) *
Your reply

Thank you sted!

Unfortunately, Mesa is not an option for me as they are like 1500$ used, and I'd still need some money for effects. Someone called me yesterday and offered me an exchange of my Marshall to his ENGL Fireball; I said no, because, again, it wouldn't solve my effect needs. And, I'll be sure to look into the JSX, although my brother has a Triple XXX, and I don't really like that particular amp, nowhere near that sound imo smile.gif

Thanks again, sted smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 22 2009, 01:28 PM
Instructor
ENGL heads seem very nice for the type of sound you are looking for. Have you tried some in stores?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 22 2009, 01:39 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 22 2009, 02:28 PM) *
ENGL heads seem very nice for the type of sound you are looking for. Have you tried some in stores?

Hey, my friend! smile.gif

I'd be the happiest if I had the chance to, but it seems to me there is no Hungarian dealer for ENGL. Anyways, I'll try out any I can find used, but I think they still would cost a lot, leaving me with no money for the fx.

Thanks =)

Edit: I was wrong, there's actually a Hungarian distributor for ENGL, far from my city, but I'll check it out sometime soon smile.gif

This post has been edited by axes: Aug 22 2009, 01:41 PM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 22 2009, 04:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
ENGL might be an option for you but NOT the fireball imho, good clean but the lead channel on the fireball is too br00tal sounding for instrumental rock imho!

Peavey JSX and Carvin Legacy jump into my mind when you are aiming for Satch and Vai tones, I would prefer the JSX becaus it has three channels and a wider range of sounds but the Carvin would do aswell. Although I think all those sounds can be achieved with your Marshall (Some older Satriani and Vai stuff actually WAS recorded on Marshalls) you can look at Hughes & Kettner, for example the switchblade 50 watt head:

-Made in Germany Quality
-All Tube
-4 channels from clean to modern high gain
-high quality built in digital effects (will save you money)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 22 2009, 06:46 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 22 2009, 05:29 PM) *
ENGL might be an option for you but NOT the fireball imho, good clean but the lead channel on the fireball is too br00tal sounding for instrumental rock imho!

Peavey JSX and Carvin Legacy jump into my mind when you are aiming for Satch and Vai tones, I would prefer the JSX becaus it has three channels and a wider range of sounds but the Carvin would do aswell. Although I think all those sounds can be achieved with your Marshall (Some older Satriani and Vai stuff actually WAS recorded on Marshalls) you can look at Hughes & Kettner, for example the switchblade 50 watt head:

-Made in Germany Quality
-All Tube
-4 channels from clean to modern high gain
-high quality built in digital effects (will save you money)

Thanks, Zakk! I've never really looked into H&K, so maybe it's time to go and try some out if I can. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 22 2009, 08:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
the zakk has spoken!

+Quote Post
Oubollig
Aug 22 2009, 08:23 PM
Sorry for OffTopic but could anyone tell me from what song the riff from 7:30 - 7:38 is?
I've been looking for it for ages^^

Thanks!

EDIT: nevermind guys found it biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Oubollig: Aug 22 2009, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 23 2009, 09:29 PM
is blackstar really a marshal clone? i think it sounds unique, especially with its ISF knob

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Noangels
Aug 23 2009, 10:14 PM
Try out a hughes and kettner switchblade head,been using one for a few years now with strats,LP's,PRS and parkers and each guitar sounded realy good on my saved tones

has all the FX you need built into it,the reverbs are great-for a rock/metal amp it kills anything you put up beside it.The other guitarist in my band uses a messa dual rec head and the blade wipes the floor with it

Funny enough just joined a cover band as a hired gun and my line 6 vetta 2 head/rig sounds as good as the other guitarists XTC head and he uses either custom strats of PRS!When I A/B'd the Blade,Messa and vetta side by side the blade won when clean or mean.After hearing the XTC head up close now I can faithfully say it blows that away too

The only amp I have played that I liked for its overdriven tones,was Engl-there realy good amps-but then again so are the Hughes and Kettner amps.I think the germans make killer high gain amps!

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 24 2009, 02:01 PM
Hello guys!

Thanks for all your answers!

Progress had been made on the topic, and a very good American friend of mine decided to buy me a G-Major as a gift ohmy.gif so this broadens up my chances pretty much.

I got two exchange offers, one of them is a Peavey 5150 II, and someone with an ENGL Fireball again called me as well. What do you think, should I check out these amps? I'm very excited about the 5150 II as it's one of my dream amps ever, I've never tried it though biggrin.gif so what do you think? smile.gif

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Aug 24 2009, 06:50 PM
check out the fireball

the 5150 is very 1 sided...a one trick pony if you will

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 24 2009, 08:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
The fireball and the 5150 are high gain monsters, really awesome Metal amps but they might sound too tight for the kind of sounds you want to achieve. I would say the 5150 will get you better rock tones (after all it's a Van Halen Signature amp!) but the clean is not very impressive on the Peavey...
The Fireball on the other hand has a really good clean channel but I found it hard to get anything else but a brutal metal tone from the high gain channel - But I myself dislike ENGL amps in generall so better not quote me on that! ^^

There is only one thing to do mate! Go and play those amps and see if they deliver what you seek!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:58 AM