First Real Life Class
Rated Htr
Sep 23 2008, 09:11 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey All, here's what I got from my first class and would like to hear so tips...

At first, I thought about learning some licks, theory and such and wanted to have classes for that purpose, when I arrived, I had completly no clue what would await me...
The teacher was saying things as I already knew the fretboard like I know my hand, it was so bad for me, he wanted me to play a pattern, just said the notes and that started a drum machine, I really couldn't do anything right until he said to improvise for a solo, and I did ok...I always wanted to learn the fretboard, but also heard that we should keep our routine good and fun for a person to continue looking...I like to study theory, it's fun, but I just don't know how to study the notes on the fretboard...Any ideas?

I had already asked this on another topic but would really like a deep answer

Thanks in advance
Filipe

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sigma7
Sep 23 2008, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
congrats on ur first class. Heres a tip for memorizing the fretboard. Look at the dots on ur neck. Learn all the open string notes and then learn the notes corresponding to the fretted dot. Learn one string at a time. When u memorize the dotted notes, youll be able tell where the other notes are

ex, i have dots on frets 3,5,7,9, and 12
on the A string it would be A(open), C, D, E, F#, and back to A

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Sep 23 2008, 09:46 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Sep 23 2008, 09:43 PM

Try this

http://www.freewarefiles.com/Advanced-Fret...gram_20831.html

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 23 2008, 10:06 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Thank you both, that program really comes in handy, and I'll go memorize the dotted frets first than smile.gif

Any other tips?

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
wrk
Sep 23 2008, 10:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
It's better to learn the note on the guitar direct, but maybe this will help you as well :
http://musictheory.net/trainers/html/id81_en.html

you can resize the fret area to start easy ..

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 23 2008, 11:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Rated Htr @ Sep 23 2008, 11:06 PM) *
Thank you both, that program really comes in handy, and I'll go memorize the dotted frets first than smile.gif

Any other tips?

Learning dotted notes is definitly great approach.You can define others in relation to ones you know are dotted.It takes some time to master the fretboard.Also you can take a small portion (few frets from beginning) and play and simultaneously say the note name out loud.That way you will train your mind and remember which one is where (and ear train yourself to know how it sounds)..Key is just taking small portions and working on them focused..Eventually you are going to get to the 12th fret , and after that everything is the same...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Sep 24 2008, 02:33 AM
Instructor
You can try to learn the "diagonals". For example: in a guitar with 24 frets one diagonal could be

6th string 24th fret
5th string 19th fret
4th string 14th fret
3rd string 9th fret
2dn string 5th fret
1st string open

All those are the same note. You can learn all the diagonals of every note starting with the natural notes and then studying the altered ones.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 24 2008, 08:02 AM
Lets go fishing!

I used a fretboard trainer programme called "AFT" every day for 6 months. It worked well, but required ALOT of hard work so I wouldnt recommened it unless you have the spare time smile.gif There are lots of freeware fretboard trainers around which work well too smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Sep 24 2008, 08:02 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I originally learned the fretboard using the 'dotted fret' approach, however I was still struggling instantly finding the notes on the fretboard.

Since some time (after my teacher forced me tongue.gif), when playing in a certain scale (e.g. C Major), during improvising I am thinking much less in boxes and am forcing myself to find the root note of the scale and improvise from that using intervals (first of course starting of with the easy ones (root -> fifth, root - seventh, root - third) and eventually also bigger intervals (ninths etc.). One of the advantages of this is also to quickly adapt to a chord change in a backing track.

All in all this helped my knowledge of the fretboard significantly, especially with also mentioning the actual notes you are playing during slow improvising exercises. Don't get me wrong: the boxes are very useful, however other approaches really helped me a lot.

Hopefully this helps smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Sep 24 2008, 08:43 AM
Learning Roadie
i also find myself struckling to learn the entire fretboard, and i still find it very hard..

I have tried the online tools provided in the posts above, but somehow i find them rather dull and not working.. Even though i usually get the 29/30 notes it is just not the same.. somehow i cannot fit the fretboard on screen onto my guitar.

Perhaps i haven't been using the tools often enough, i dont know.. but i did find a little method that can be used to some extent.

Usually people tend to learn the notes on the 5th and 6th string first as they are pretty essential in regular chord progressions. What i do is on either of these two strings i move two strings down, and two frets up.. and i have the same note as the one i started at..

For example.. lets say i start on the note A (6th string, 5th fret).. i move two strings down, and two frets up.. and bang. here is another A. This can also be done on the D string, but because of the tuning of the B string you have to move 3 frets instead of 2. Also on the G string.

However, i still need some magic practice method to really learn them all. Maybe it's just a matter of time really.

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Sep 24 2008, 08:43 AM

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 24 2008, 09:55 AM
I also can never remember all the notes, but im improving now.
I found it useful to learn diffrent arpegios and saying the notes names as i play them.
It should help you in several aspects:
1)it will help you remember the notes on the fretboard.
2)it will help you remember the notes in relation to other notes, ex. If you learn a minor7th arpeggio, you can find the g note when you find the note a(g is a minor7th interval from a. 3) its a very musical and intresting way to learn as arpegios are probably the most useful musical tool you can use.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 24 2008, 02:17 PM
Instructor
I know it can be a bit boring, but it is actually great to learn to notes on the fretboard, it will mean a lot. There are couple of approaches so find one that suits you the best:

- learn the dotted notes first (vertical approach)
- learn the c major scale first (and then move on to all other notes)
- learn a string at a time (horizontal approach)

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jdriver
Sep 25 2008, 05:59 AM
Check out the Cipher System for stringed instruments, an easy way to learn to visualize unisons, octaves, and all the intervals with a simple method. Take a minute to read through the introduction and I bet you'll be hooked. It is specifically designed for those who don't read music, but if you do that's fine also. Does not really help with learning note names though.

http://www.thecipher.com

This post has been edited by jdriver: Sep 25 2008, 06:01 AM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:40 AM