The Critical First 15 Seconds, Trying to get more views on youtube? The first 15 is key.
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2012, 07:20 AM
GMC:er
I tried to post this in my youtube thread but when clicked, you get put at the first post instead of this one. So I thought I'd share here as well.
------

This is from the youtube creator handbook..

THE CRITICAL FIRST 15 SECONDS OF A YOUTUBE VIDEO

(How to Keep Them Watching)

*From the Youtube Creators Handbook

The First 15 Seconds!
Many viewers decide whether they are going to keep watching your video within the first 10-15 seconds. Attention spans can be short and they are just one click away from abandoning your video. The videoʼs content - “What am I Watching?” - should come across in the first few moments and hook them early to give them a reason the stick around.

Compelling Content First
o The first thing the viewer sees should be compelling, whether it is the personality or the content of the video.
o Personalities should address/welcome the audience, ask a question, spark the viewerʼs curiosity, tease the rest of the video. o Use a ʻteaserʼ for the content of the video; start with a quick clip of whatʼs to come later in the video.

Branding and Packaging Later!
o Branding, flashy intros, and packaging can create a professional quality to your content, but itʼs not the star of the video.
o Let the content or the personality be the star upfront; then the viewer has a reason to watch past the intro and continue with
the video.
o Or you can make sure the branding is compelling content that the viewer is entertained by. For example, College Humorʼs
Jake & Amirʼs opening branding features a different joke each video; their packaging is the content.
o Packing and branding should be minimal and short. Weʼve found 5 seconds to be an optimal length.

What am I watching?!
o In a lot of cases of non-fiction programming, it is important to make it clear to your viewers what your video is, and what theyʼll be watching. If the viewer still doesnʼt know exactly what theyʼre watching in the start of the video, theyʼre gone.

So..
1.)Capture their attention.
2.)Then some branding/logo/id (Optional)
3.)Keep them hooked with great content.
---------

The first 15 seconds is crucial. If you don't catch the viewer by then, they are more than likely going to leave. So make your video really pop at the start, then give any station id/logo, then keep the good stuff going! You can use youtube analytics to see how much time they spend before leaving. More on that to come!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2012, 02:41 PM
Instructor
These are excellent tips Todd, thanks! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 27 2012, 05:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow! Maybe that's why I'm not popular. sad.gif I'lll have to rethink my approach. smile.gif Thanks for sharing, Todd!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 27 2012, 05:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great advice mate! Looking forward to more, maybe then I'll get more than a few views myself. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 27 2012, 06:54 PM
Instructor
Simple yet effective, really good advice,

it's true, all the videos I love start right away with a hook, or something like that, we should consider that as musicians on the internet,

there are so many video makers that fail in this, thanks for that Todd

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2012, 08:25 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jan 27 2012, 12:54 PM) *
Simple yet effective, really good advice,

it's true, all the videos I love start right away with a hook, or something like that, we should consider that as musicians on the internet,

there are so many video makers that fail in this, thanks for that Todd

Very simple rules and easy to remember smile.gif Yeah the first bit is the crucial. Start with a bang or folks just move on. If you are gonna toss in a bit of promo (graphics/channel or program name/etc) save it til after the big start. If you don't hook them early, they just move on. There is a KILLER tool on youtube analytics (the retention graph) that graphs your results with viewers and shows you when they tune out in a given video.

Here is a link to more information.

http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/stat...p;page=guide.cs

Here is a screen grab of the retention graphic for the awesome 80s collab showing how folks LOVED Ivan's solo at the end. Go Ivan!
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 27 2012, 11:16 PM
Instructor
You're a Ph.D. for this theme Todd biggrin.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 27 2012, 11:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
at first glance at the title, I thought my wife had been talkin, blink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 28 2012, 12:03 AM
Instructor
Great tips Todd! thanks for this post! I trying to make my Yotube account more popular... smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:35 AM