2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Difficult Amp Decision
Mister_Riff
Aug 31 2009, 03:14 PM
GMC:er
Hey Gmc I'm having a difficulty picking between amps

So I have narrowed down my search between these amps:
- A Laney GH 50 L ( http://www.thomann.de/be/laney_gh50l.htm )
- An Engl Fireball ( http://www.thomann.de/be/engl_fireball_e62...rrentopteil.htm )

My playing style is mostly 80's Heavy Metal/hard Rock/NWOBHM (Iron Maiden, Loudness, Anthem, ...), and I'm having a tough time picking between them because I'm having doubts if the Laney's gain is "high" enough for my playing style.
I'm not the type of person who uses tons of gain but I'm still having my doubts.(I'm currently using a POD 2.0 high gain model and I have the gain about 9 O' Clock)

(testing out amps is out of the question because I live in the middle of nowhere and the stores nearby only carry 2000€+ amps)

So GMC, could the Laney Gh 50 L handle my music or should I go for the Engl Fireball?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mister_Riff: Aug 31 2009, 03:15 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
ENGL Ritchie Blackmore/Framus Cabinet (V30's)
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 31 2009, 03:25 PM
Learning Roadie
I think the Laney is plenty good enough for you. That's basically Tony Iommi's signature model with a few slight differences. Paul Gilbert also used one of those for a long time. Oh yeah, and OPETH uses them. I wanted a GH50L for the longest time, but too much amp for me smile.gif You have my opinion!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor
Laney is good choice if you are on the budget. It has EL34 powertubes which will ensure more of a British type of sound, compare to ENGL which is 6L6 super cold amp.

BTW if your main concern is Laney not having enough gain, don't worry at all, you can always boost it with some booster pedal to add more saturation.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Aug 31 2009, 04:32 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 31 2009, 04:25 PM) *
Paul Gilbert also used one of those for a long time.

This is also the reason why I first started checking them out, I'm a HUGE Paul Gilbert fan cool.gif. Sadly I checked out the Vintage Modern and was not impressed (both with build quality and sound).

It's also vids like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi1iHDdE964...rofilepage#t=43 that make me wonder (and hope) if I could achieve such tonal bliss. biggrin.gif (at the end of the vid it shows the amp and coupled overdrive pedal)

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 31 2009, 05:17 PM
Learning Tone Master
The fireball is a NO-GO for the styles you want to play (ofcourse it would work but there are better choices).

The Laney might not have enough gain as you said (Iommi plays with extremely high output humbuckers to drive the amp, Paul Gilbert has thousands of pedals in front of his amps and Opeth don't use the overdrive channel on the laneys at all, they play boss gt-10s through the clean channel!)

The bands you mentioned ALL play Marshall so that's a logical choice to suggest one (not a VM though, same gain problem like the Laney) but an amp from the JVM series should deliver the goods.
Another great amp for 80 style metal is the ENGL Ritchie Blackmore signature! It sounds warmer than other ENGL amps and it can do everything from Deep Purple (duh!) to modern Death Metal (ENGL amps always have the biggest gain resources)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2009, 05:31 PM
Instructor
I agree with Zakk it may be good to check out the ENGL Blackmoore head, but I think it is a bit expensive. It is british sounding head, since Ritchie was all Marshall back in the days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Aug 31 2009, 05:34 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 31 2009, 06:17 PM) *
The Laney might not have enough gain as you said (Iommi plays with extremely high output humbuckers to drive the amp, Paul Gilbert has thousands of pedals in front of his amps.

The bands you mentioned ALL play Marshall so that's a logical choice to suggest one (not a VM though, same gain problem like the Laney) but an amp from the JVM series should deliver the goods.

The trouble that I have with the Marshall JVM series is that they are multiple channel amps and those kinds of amps usually have trouble "accepting" pedals. Also I would only use 1 channel so have 3 extra would be a bit wastefull smile.gif

If I would use the Laney, I would most likely use a pedal to boost my amp (like Ivan suggested), but all of my guitars also have high output pickups (not active but I could rival my teacher's active EMG's).

I'm more a "Distortion + delay + reverb and thats it" kind of guy, but if an amps not picking up my pedals correctly even this simple chain could produce a lot of hiss.

Maybe I could get some recommendations (other then the ritchie Blackmore, which is looking mighty good biggrin.gif ):
I can spend up to 1200€ (maybe some more) and I will most likely be buying of Thoman
http://www.thomann.de/be/cat_PG_5.html?gf=...eads&oa=prd

Also 100 watts (Ritchie Blackmore head) may be a bit much, not that 50 watts isn't much but still ...

This post has been edited by Mister_Riff: Aug 31 2009, 05:38 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 31 2009, 05:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Well, I stand corrected biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Aug 31 2009, 10:01 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 31 2009, 06:17 PM) *
Another great amp for 80 style metal is the ENGL Ritchie Blackmore signature! It sounds warmer than other ENGL amps and it can do everything from Deep Purple (duh!)

laugh.gif

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2009, 11:09 PM
Instructor
If you have 1200e and looking for saturated Marshall-like tones, it may be wise to check out Blackmoore head, and also Marshall DSL100 head. If you will play them loud, it may be a reasonable choice as both would be good work horses.
There are however many other great heads even some boutique ones that fall into that price range, but their power is less. What kind of power do you need? What are you going to use the amp for?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Sep 1 2009, 06:43 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 1 2009, 12:09 AM) *
What kind of power do you need? What are you going to use the amp for?

I'm going to buy a new amp so I can start a band. cool.gif

I have been playing at home for about 4 and a half years and I would love to get a band and spread some good music. Here in Belgium (especially Limburg) their aren't to many band that play NWOBHM / 80's metal , It's mostly really HEAVY metal or simple rock/blues. So I would like to get some people together and start gigging. smile.gif

I would also like to use it at home (who wouldn't rolleyes.gif) but I'm already getting a good practise-sound from my POD 2.0. If I'm getting one I'm also getting an attunator (so I won't annoy my neighbours and parents so much smile.gif )

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 1 2009, 12:29 PM
Instructor
If you are getting attenuator, then it would be wise to get a 100W tube head. More power is always better if you play live, and if you will have attenuation it means you can cut down the power always when you don't need too much (in most club situations 20-40W tube amp is quite enough, depending on the amount of headroom it has).

I suggest DSL100 Marshall head. Although it is JCM2000 series that has many flaws, I still believe that this amp is a good work horse that will serve you well in live situations. It is dual channel amp with a boost on the OD channel, insert another linear boost pedal, and your done with the amount of distortion you need.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 1 2009, 12:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2009, 01:36 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Mister_Riff @ Sep 1 2009, 07:43 AM) *
I would also like to use it at home (who wouldn't rolleyes.gif) but I'm already getting a good practise-sound from my POD 2.0. If I'm getting one I'm also getting an attunator (so I won't annoy my neighbours and parents so much smile.gif )

I see a tiny bitty problem with that wink.gif tubeamps don't like to be carried around too much. An amp that sits still will, as far as I have experienced, have tubes with a longer lifespan. And you can avoid one tube going out completely for seemilgly no other reason than amp-transport.

I'd suggest on a Laney GH100L or 50L, it's an amp that can do anything! With the two gainknobs you can really shape things. And say you want to go insane you can plug in an OD and get real dirty, and with 6L6GC tubes instead of EL34 you'll get more bottom and overall ENGLy sound sort of.

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Sep 1 2009, 03:33 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 1 2009, 02:36 PM) *
I see a tiny bitty problem with that wink.gif tubeamps don't like to be carried around too much. An amp that sits still will, as far as I have experienced, have tubes with a longer lifespan. And you can avoid one tube going out completely for seemilgly no other reason than amp-transport.

I'd suggest on a Laney GH100L or 50L

I would be carrying the amp around anyway: gig => house => gig wink.gif. I'm a carefull person so hopefully there won't be too much trouble (and from my "gig-money", I could always buy new tubes cool.gif )

It is a tough decision since the laney costs almost half that of the Blackmore. If I'd buy that I would be able to buy an attunator and still have money to spare.

I will be also buying a 2x12 vintage 30's cab with the head. But I also plan on having my dad (he's good with those kinda things) build me a new cab and with that money I would have more than enough for quality lumber.

Damn I hate tough decisions mad.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2009, 04:02 PM
QUOTE (Mister_Riff @ Sep 1 2009, 04:33 PM) *
I would be carrying the amp around anyway: gig => house => gig wink.gif. I'm a carefull person so hopefully there won't be too much trouble (and from my "gig-money", I could always buy new tubes cool.gif )

gig -> house -> gig is almost a must laugh.gif

I was more thinking of the home -> rehearsal -> home -> rehearsal -> home -> rehearsal -> home -> rehearsal -> gig -> home -> rehearsal -> gig -> home kind of carrying wink.gif

A Laney GH100L, A Marshall JCM cab with G12T-75 speakers and an attenuator sounds like a plan to me.
Those speakers have plenty of bottom and mids a a bit cut highs, I think they will work very well controlling the Laneys highs.

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Sep 1 2009, 04:44 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 1 2009, 05:02 PM) *
A Laney GH100L, A Marshall JCM cab with G12T-75 speakers and an attenuator sounds like a plan to me.
Those speakers have plenty of bottom and mids a a bit cut highs, I think they will work very well controlling the Laneys highs.

Could U find me a link of such a cabinet?, I can't find one anywhere huh.gif

And I was thinking of Vintage 30's ... I have a friend which has a cabinet loaded with those and the sound is amazing smile.gif

Also I have an MXR 10 band EQ with which I could always find the right EQ.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2009, 05:44 PM
This is one http://www.thomann.de/se/marshall_mr_1960_a.htm

I have one 412 cab with Vintage 30 and one 412 with G12T-75 and for most genres I like the Marshall with G12T-75 better. It's got more low end and it's more metal, simple as that biggrin.gif While the Vintage 30 is a very open sounding cab, it let's the sound through as is.

I've ran a bright amp through my vintage 30 cab and the sound can become very piercing.
And the EQ you might want to use for solos? Otherwise I guess that's a solution too like you suggested smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Sep 1 2009, 05:52 PM
Thx so much for all of your insights everyone wink.gif

Now to make my decision ... laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 1 2009, 06:19 PM
QUOTE (Mister_Riff @ Sep 1 2009, 06:52 PM) *
Thx so much for all of your insights everyone wink.gif

Now to make my decision ... laugh.gif

Go for the ENGL Blackmore!

Check it out too, someone mentioned it above. If it fits your budget.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 1 2009, 07:53 PM
Instructor
Let us know what you got! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:07 PM