Angelica
Mar 3 2008, 12:47 PM
GMC:er
I've heard it today from the radio...
sad.gif
so sorry about it

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=3FO2eMlKhyU

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Angelica: Mar 3 2008, 06:33 PM

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 3 2008, 12:50 PM
Only 41 as well sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 3 2008, 12:52 PM
NOOOOO!!! he was my hero!
(goes off to cry...)

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Mar 3 2008, 12:57 PM
RIP

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 3 2008, 01:03 PM
Get to da Chopper!
RIP

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 3 2008, 01:06 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Sad news sad.gif

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Mar 3 2008, 01:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Only just found out sad.gif

RIP

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 3 2008, 01:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Hell of a guitar player.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Mar 3 2008, 02:48 PM
Instructor
I remember I saw him first time many years ago in the movie Road House, I was amazed by the way he played the guitar, in a quite unusual way, but with a great feel for blues. RIP sad.gif

March 2, 2008

Guitarist and bandleader Jeff Healey dies in Toronto hospital

Following a lengthy struggle with cancer,
Healey passes away on the eve of the
release of a new blues rock album

Jeff Healey, arguably one of the most distinctive guitar players of our time, died today (Sunday March 2) in St. Joseph’s Hospital, Toronto. He was 41, and leaves his wife, Cristie, daughter Rachel (13) and son Derek (three), as well as his father and step-mother, Bud and Rose Healey, and sisters Laura and Linda.
Funeral and memorial arrangements are pending.
Robbed of his sight as a baby due to a rare form of cancer, retino blastoma, and he started to play guitar when he was three, holding the instrument unconventionally across his lap. He formed his first band at 17, but soon formed a trio which was named the Jeff Healey Band.
After his appearance in the movie Road House, he was signed to Arista records, and in 1988 released the Grammy-nominated album See the Light, which included a major hit single, Angel Eyes. He earned a Juno Award in 1990 as Entertainer of the Year.
Two more albums emerged on Arista, with lessening success as the ’90s passed. Various “best-of” and live packages were released, and he recorded two more rock albums, before turning to his real love, classic American jazz from the ’20s, ’30s and ’40s.
By then, however, Healey was an internationally-known star who had played with dozens of musicians, including B.B. King and Stevie Ray Vaughan, and recorded with George Harrison. Mark Knopfler and the late blues legend, Jimmy Rogers.
A family man with a three-year-old son and a 13-year-old daughter he preferred to stay close to home. “I’ve traveled widely before — been there and done that,” he told friends, determined to avoid the lengthy, exhausting tours that marked his life in his twenties and early thirties.
A long-running CBC Radio series saw him in the role of disc jockey — My Kinda Jazz was a staple for a while, but in recent years he had hosted a programme with a similar name on Jazz-FM in Toronto. A highlight of his broadcasts was always the use of rare — and rarely heard — music from his 30,000-plus collection of 78-rpm records.
As his rock career wound down as the millennium came, he recorded a series of three album of early jazz, playing trumpet as well as acoustic guitar in a band he called Jeff Healey’s Jazz Wizards. The most recent was It’s Tight Like That, recorded live at Hugh’s Room in Toronto in 2005, with British jazz legend Chris Barber as guest star.
At the time of his death he was about to see the release of his first rock/blues album in eight years, Mess of Blues, which is being released in Europe on March 20, and in Canada and the U.S. on April 22. The album was the result of a joint agreement between the German label, Ruf Records, and Stony Plain, the independent Edmonton-based label that has released his three jazz CDs.
Mess of Blues was recorded in studios in Toronto, with two cuts recorded at the Jeff Healey’s Roadhouse in Toronto and two at a concert in London England. The backup group on the upcoming CD — the Healey’s House Band — played with him regularly at the downtown Roadhouse, and at a previous club bearing his name in the Queen-Bathurst area.
Early last year, Healey underwent surgery to remove cancerous tissue from his legs, and later from both lungs; aggressive radiation treatments and chemotherapy, however, failed to halt the spread of the disease.
Despite his battle with cancer, he undertook frequent tours across Canada with both his blues-based band and his jazz group; he was set for a major tour in Germany and the U.K. and was to be a guest on the BBC’s famed Jools Holland Show in April.
Remembered by his musicians — and his audiences — for his wry sense of humour as well as his musical playfulness, Healey was a unique musician who bridged different genres with ease and assurance.

http://www.jeffhealey.com

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Mar 3 2008, 02:52 PM
Instructor
I've heard some of his work, this is very sad that he was only 41 when he had to go sad.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 3 2008, 02:57 PM
Instructor
Ohhh man,brilliant player sad.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Mar 3 2008, 03:03 PM
Oh no sad.gif
He was one of the guys who made me want to play guitar.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Mar 3 2008, 03:28 PM
Instructor
Too bad sad.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Slammer
Mar 3 2008, 03:32 PM
RIP Jeff.

He was truly Insprirational, even with his Blindness he show that he could truly Rock!

Roadhouse is one of my favorite movies.

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Mar 3 2008, 03:43 PM
Instructor
Amazing player, AMAZING!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 3 2008, 03:47 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!???????????????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! DAMNIT!

This is terrible sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 3 2008, 04:03 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Mar 3 2008, 09:47 AM) *
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!???????????????? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! DAMNIT!

This is terrible sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

i know! dont you just want to punch something? its 2008, people should not still be dying of cancer. we should have developed a cure by now, it makes me so angry.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 3 2008, 04:08 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Wow.....I cant believe this...This man was such an inspiration, Ill miss him dearly! sad.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 3 2008, 06:16 PM
The Dark Canuck
He's an inspiration and will truly be missed.

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Mar 3 2008, 07:59 PM
Instructor
I´m so sorry...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 05:42 AM