2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Non-guitar Composition, Something different...
Taka Perry
Sep 23 2013, 09:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've really liked the Glitch genre for quite a while, and just the other day, I downloaded a VST called Glitch 1.3. I gave it a go, so here's my first attempt at it. Let me know your thoughts!

https://soundcloud.com/taka-perry/a-world-too-distant-7

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 24 2013, 11:33 AM
Instructor
Hey Taka - sounds like a good OST for a game, the old type, that I like to play biggrin.gif What does Glitch stand for?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 24 2013, 12:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 24 2013, 08:33 PM) *
Hey Taka - sounds like a good OST for a game, the old type, that I like to play biggrin.gif What does Glitch stand for?

Awesome! What kinda games are you talking about here? I'm a casual gamer too biggrin.gif

Glitch is a style of music, which is generally consisting of a lot of weird noises and samples, and different effects on percussion like retriggering and reducing the sample rate etc. I had a lot of samples in the percussive part of my song, and I panned the different sounds so there's a bit more of a spatial feeling to it. There's a nice Wikipedia article here if you're interested smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 24 2013, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Ha ha ...Cosmin ...good thought biggrin.gif I would put it for some parkour french movie biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 24 2013, 06:53 PM
Instructor
This sounds very cool mate. Thanks for sharing and also thanks for introducing a new style. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 25 2013, 07:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 24 2013, 01:49 PM) *
Ha ha ...Cosmin ...good thought biggrin.gif I would put it for some parkour french movie biggrin.gif

Ooo parkour - I like that very much! It is a sort of sport that involves an incredible physical shape and the guts of a madman biggrin.gif Heh!

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 24 2013, 11:42 AM) *
Awesome! What kinda games are you talking about here? I'm a casual gamer too biggrin.gif

Glitch is a style of music, which is generally consisting of a lot of weird noises and samples, and different effects on percussion like retriggering and reducing the sample rate etc. I had a lot of samples in the percussive part of my song, and I panned the different sounds so there's a bit more of a spatial feeling to it. There's a nice Wikipedia article here if you're interested smile.gif

Thanks mate - not really my cup of tea, but just as dubstep, it's a genre which if brought as an external influence in other genres - such as metal can add a lot of color wink.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 25 2013, 11:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 25 2013, 03:53 AM) *
This sounds very cool mate. Thanks for sharing and also thanks for introducing a new style. smile.gif

Thanks Gab smile.gif
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 25 2013, 04:29 PM) *
Thanks mate - not really my cup of tea, but just as dubstep, it's a genre which if brought as an external influence in other genres - such as metal can add a lot of color wink.gif

Yes, I think it's interesting to combine seemingly different genres together, especially ones that are very unlike each other smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 25 2013, 11:32 PM
Instructor
Yep...Tou have to have guts to work on parkour...probably same time taking as shredding...but much more healthy biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 26 2013, 07:17 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 24 2013, 12:42 PM) *

It also often includes a melody that has been cut up, resynced, reversed and stuttered. Take a listen to Prefuse 73 here .

Very different to Matmos who, when they're being experimental, use more 'weird noises and samples' or Autechre who use a lot of automation and effects.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 26 2013, 08:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 25 2013, 10:32 PM) *
Yep...Tou have to have guts to work on parkour...probably same time taking as shredding...but much more healthy biggrin.gif

Well, shredding is healthy too, for your fingers and wrists - if done properly wink.gif

About parkour - there's a weird monument in a Romanian city found in the west of the country which features a pair of converse shoes on a wall, somewhere at the 4-5th level biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 25 2013, 10:05 PM) *
Thanks Gab smile.gif

Yes, I think it's interesting to combine seemingly different genres together, especially ones that are very unlike each other smile.gif

Hey Taka - I did something inspired by dubstep in one of my lessons here at GMC - might be you want to check it out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Djent-Dubstep-Groove/

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 26 2013, 09:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 26 2013, 05:28 PM) *
Hey Taka - I did something inspired by dubstep in one of my lessons here at GMC - might be you want to check it out:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Djent-Dubstep-Groove/

Man, that sounds awesome, especially the autofilter effect on the guitar! Now I just need a guitar that doesn't get floppy with Drop tunings, right now my gauge is 9-42 biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 26 2013, 10:47 AM
Instructor
Aye - you would need some 10-52s at least - do you have more guitars? If yes, you could keep one in standard D or drop C wink.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Sep 26 2013, 04:35 PM
GMC:er
I like it a lot. It's not the kind of glitch I generally listen to tho.

Cosmin, glitch has as many sides to it as there are star constellations in the universe. One of the most famous glitch composers is probably Ben Jordan (aka Flashbulb), give it a listen.

The Flashbulb - Passage D

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Sep 26 2013, 05:50 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 23 2013, 08:20 AM) *
I've really liked the Glitch genre for quite a while, and just the other day, I downloaded a VST called Glitch 1.3. I gave it a go, so here's my first attempt at it. Let me know your thoughts!

https://soundcloud.com/taka-perry/a-world-too-distant-7

Awesome stuff again. biggrin.gif
Maybe if you combine this with hard rock...

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Sep 26 2013, 05:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Very nice composition a enjoyed it a lot. Maybe it could sound interesting with a couple of heavy guitar riffs too. I'll download that vst and try it myself. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 27 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 26 2013, 03:35 PM) *

Cosmin, glitch has as many sides to it as there are star constellations in the universe. One of the most famous glitch composers is probably Ben Jordan (aka Flashbulb), give it a listen.

Oh, sounds like breakbeat meeting classical music smile.gif Very interesting! Thanks for sharing Vince!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 27 2013, 10:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
I don't know much about the glitch genre, but I enjoyed that.

Is this the same genre? http://yiannisioannides.bandcamp.com/

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 27 2013, 10:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (verciazghra @ Sep 27 2013, 01:35 AM) *

Thanks a lot smile.gif I love The Flashbulb. One of my friends recently performed that particular piece for a music assessment and it was really good. He's been a very big influence on my experimental side of my music. I think he is a very innovative guitarist.

Another group I think kind of falls in this category would be KOAN Sound. They are a bit more dupsteppy in some regards, but I do enjoy their music.

QUOTE (coffeeman @ Sep 27 2013, 02:58 AM) *
Very nice composition a enjoyed it a lot. Maybe it could sound interesting with a couple of heavy guitar riffs too. I'll download that vst and try it myself. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate smile.gif There's two versions of the plugin, 2.0 and 1.3. 2.0 is the newer version, and it's about $100. The 1.3 is the version I used and it is free. I'm not too sure about the differences between the versions, but either way, I can't see myself spending $100 on an effect that I might use every now and then.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 27 2013, 07:03 PM) *
I don't know much about the glitch genre, but I enjoyed that.

Is this the same genre? http://yiannisioannides.bandcamp.com/

Hey, I really like that! I'd say it's more on the electronic side than my composition, but I really enjoyed the use of stuttering in the instruments.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 26 2013, 07:47 PM) *
Aye - you would need some 10-52s at least - do you have more guitars? If yes, you could keep one in standard D or drop C wink.gif

Well, I have a crappy old Squier Strat (my first guitar).. I cringe every time I play it D:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 27 2013, 07:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 27 2013, 11:35 AM) *
Hey, I really like that! I'd say it's more on the electronic side than my composition, but I really enjoyed the use of stuttering in the instruments.

I've never heard of the genre to be honest, but it got me thinking about that one there. It's an old friend of mine.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 27 2013, 08:04 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
How could I missed this one? You always surprise me with your work Taka. Really enjoyed this one!
BTW I think The Dillinger Escape Plan is using this Glitch stuff sometimes (accidentally), too..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:18 PM