Strings Question....
Xranthoius
Jan 27 2008, 08:32 PM
GMC:er
Okay, so I'm thinking of changing my strings on my guitar because there getting pretty bad. On this guitar I haven't changed one yet and I've had it for about 6 months now. I have changed strings before though on my old guitar so I do know how... wink.gif But how do you get the perfect coil like it is right now? Is it important or not. When I change strings it's usually all messy and unorganized at the top. Do they need to be properly coiled? If so, how?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 27 2008, 09:04 PM
Instructor
Leave lets say about 10 cm extra of each string above the length from bridge to tuner.
Cut the rest.
Put tip of the string through the hole on tuner and coil it slowly. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fatstrat
Jan 27 2008, 09:13 PM
I'd say the most important thing to remember when stringing your guitar is making sure that you're leaving enough string so that you can get a few decent coils out of it when you go to wind it. Otherwise, you run the risk of string slippage. Messy or not, as long as it tunes correctly and stays tuned, you should be good to go man.

--------------------
My Gear:

Guitars: Guild D-55, Taylor 110-E, 1992 Epiphone Sheraton II (JB neck and '59 bridge), PRS SE singlecut (SD Alnico II neck and Gibby Bustbucker Pro bridge)

Amps: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25

Effects: Boss DD-7, BD-2, and Dunlop CryBaby

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 27 2008, 09:23 PM
Also remember to twirl it outward from the center of the head.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 27 2008, 09:54 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
man, there's a great youtube video here (that I can't seem to find right now) on re-stringing a FR.

The guy shows how he precurls the string around the tuning peg befor he inserts it into the hole. makes a nice little coil befor you even start winding. I'll keep looking. May have been moved to the Wiki.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2008, 10:55 PM
Instructor
It is important to coil the strings neatly. Generally it takes some 2-3 wounds for the bass, and some 3-4 wounds for the treble strings. Keep them tight while you do the wounding, and pull them off a little while tuning in between a few times to stretch them a little.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Jan 28 2008, 01:45 AM
K thanks, helped a lot guys. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:58 AM