Crosspicking
Im here to succe...
Sep 1 2014, 11:46 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys, i've just experienced King Crimson for the first time & done a little research, he uses the style of crosspicking alot,
so the first thing i did was came here to search for some lessons on crosspicking but noticed there aren't any? what can people tell me about this? where do i start?
it looks like a whole new world.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Renan
Sep 2 2014, 09:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey , it's actually a bluegrass technique. Also known as " double down- up " technique which feels like a banjo roll.
You can check the guy out McReynolds who developed this technique with his mandolin.
Also there's a little lesson for that in gmc by Lian Gerbino : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Irish-Picking/
He's teaching his right hand technique in the first lesson.

there are also some other lessons that I found on youtube:

hope these are helpful . Fripp also uses some delay and multiple guitar tracks for that freakin sound.
You can google for guitar craft , founded by Fripp. He teaches his own technique to his students.
Also I remember something like europe guitar circle , which is also formed by students of Robert Fripp. Listen to their 21st century schizoid man cover , I think they were using the same technique at the intro.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Renan: Sep 2 2014, 06:40 PM

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Sep 2 2014, 09:36 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Renan @ Sep 2 2014, 08:34 AM) *
Hey there , it's actually a bluegrass technique. Also known as " double down- up " technique which feels like a banjo roll.
You can check the guy out McReynolds who developed this technique with his mandolin.
Also there's a little lesson for that in gmc by Lian Gerbino : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Irish-Picking/
He's teaching his right hand technique in the first lesson.

there are also some other lessons that I found on youtube:

hope these are helpful . Fripp also uses some delay and multiple guitar tracks for that freakin sound.
You can google for guitar craft , founded by Fripp. He teaches his own technique to his students.
Also I remember something like europe guitar circle , which is also formed by students of Robert Fripp. Listen to their 21st century schizoid man cover , I think they were using the same technique at the intro.

Thanks for all that info mate, will make a start on them videos now..

i wonder why it isn't a popular technique on here? or there are no lessons under crosspicking.

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Sep 2 2014, 09:37 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2014, 09:43 AM
Instructor
Hey guys smile.gif Frankly speaking, this is the first time I heard about this technique and I had no clue that down down up, would be considered crosspicking, but hey smile.gif You learn a new thing everyday, right? Out of what I know, these lessons are the only ones around here that resemble this technique:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Acoustic-Celtic-Rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Irish-Picking/

Hope I was able to help out smile.gif Although these lessons are more about a strumming pattern that goes down down up smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 4 2014, 04:05 PM
Learning Roadie
One lick that is a common crosspicking lick for electric guitarists is

E|--------5-----
B|------5--------
G|--7b9----------
D|--------------
A|--------------
E|--------------

I would play that down, up, up

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 4 2014, 07:31 PM
Instructor
I always thought cross picking was essentially just alternate picking. But the guys that are 'cross picking' are just switching strings all the time so they're constantly moving across the strings. A bit like if you were to alternate pick arpeggios instead of sweeping them.

That was my understanding of it. It could be totally worng.

That D,D,U pattern.. now that I think of it, I've used that pattern quite a lot when playing full chords in a 12/8 tempo.

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Sep 4 2014, 07:33 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2014, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 4 2014, 06:31 PM) *
I always thought cross picking was essentially just alternate picking. But the guys that are 'cross picking' are just switching strings all the time so they're constantly moving across the strings. A bit like if you were to alternate pick arpeggios instead of sweeping them.

That was my understanding of it. It could be totally worng.

That D,D,U pattern.. now that I think of it, I've used that pattern quite a lot when playing full chords in a 12/8 tempo.

That makes a lot of sense to me too, man smile.gif I've always enjoyed playing arpeggio shapes like that, but I never came up with a name for it as it looked fairly similar to economic picking, don't you think?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2014, 03:14 PM
Instructor
This is a very interesting thread! I honestly didn't know what cross picking meant but now that I saw the video I can say that the technique is close to 2 strings sweeps but without the last pull off.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Power-Of-Mini-Sweeps/

However, now checking the second video the results that you can get using this technique playing scale licks is awesome!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 6 2014, 08:27 AM
Learning Roadie
One of the masters of crosspicking

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2014, 02:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 5 2014, 02:14 PM) *
This is a very interesting thread! I honestly didn't know what cross picking meant but now that I saw the video I can say that the technique is close to 2 strings sweeps but without the last pull off.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Power-Of-Mini-Sweeps/

However, now checking the second video the results that you can get using this technique playing scale licks is awesome!

Hah, indeed - Ben's lesson comes to mind, how could I forgot that this one.

@ Posterboy - I tend to either alternate pick that one or hybrid pick it, it depends on the mood and context tho smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:30 PM