Vintage Surf/rock Guitar Wanted, Tips :) ?
mhskeide
Dec 14 2009, 10:48 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I`m getting a bit serious with an old school surf/rock/rockabilly, so I`m scouting ebays for deals, but I don`t know excatly what to look for (with that, I mean i don`t know of too many brands). I`ve found myself a nice Burns guitar which I`m considering, other than that nothing serious. A jazzmaster/jaguar would be great, but I fear that the name Fender will raise the price a bit too much.

Just come with any tips guys of a good vintage guitar which handles the styles I mentioned, and it MUST have a tremolo arm (don`t care if it`s vintage trem, bigsby or whatever). Budget is 5-600$. Maybe a bit optimistic, but I`m at least trying to keep it low in the start smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 14 2009, 10:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 14 2009, 10:48 PM) *
I`m getting a bit serious with an old school surf/rock/rockabilly, so I`m scouting ebays for deals, but I don`t know excatly what to look for (with that, I mean i don`t know of too many brands). I`ve found myself a nice Burns guitar which I`m considering, other than that nothing serious. A jazzmaster/jaguar would be great, but I fear that the name Fender will raise the price a bit too much.

Just come with any tips guys of a good vintage guitar which handles the styles I mentioned, and it MUST have a tremolo arm (don`t care if it`s vintage trem, bigsby or whatever). Budget is 5-600$. Maybe a bit optimistic, but I`m at least trying to keep it low in the start smile.gif

Hmmm, I will say that if You are looking for a REAL vintage guitar the budget is far too low... Even the bad one's (like Burns....) is far too pricey, and people who sells them seems to be aware of that too... A better choice would be to buy a new Ephiphone or similar, You will get a far better guitar with even a better sound than a "cheap" vintage one.... Even the Hofner Paul McCartney -bass costs a fortune compared to what it delivers.... (which is actually nothing imo.)

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 14 2009, 11:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Yeah, I know its a bit low, I kinda though about vintage as in vintage looking, not necessarily a 40 year old guitar just because of the age.

But never mind, I`ve already made up my mind biggrin.gif . I will scout ebay as a hawk the next weeks for a good deal at a Jazzmaster rolleyes.gif
I just love the looks of it, and some of the finishes I found were mesmerizing! I found some for 7-800$ which were MIJ, and thats far better than Mexico...right?...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 14 2009, 11:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
DUDE! There isn't a week without a thread of you asking which guitar to buy!

First it was a Music Man, then a shred guitar, then a Jackson, then and accoustic, yesterday a 7String and today a surf guitar!
Are you actually buying that many guitars or are you just changing your mind very quickly?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 14 2009, 11:30 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 14 2009, 11:19 PM) *

First it was a Music Man, then a shred guitar, then a Jackson, then and accoustic, yesterday a 7String and today a surf guitar!
Are you actually buying that many guitars or are you just changing your mind very quickly?

...or maybe he's like I used to be; Buying many guitars and changing his mind very quickly biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 14 2009, 11:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 14 2009, 11:05 PM) *
Yeah, I know its a bit low, I kinda though about vintage as in vintage looking, not necessarily a 40 year old guitar just because of the age.

But never mind, I`ve already made up my mind biggrin.gif . I will scout ebay as a hawk the next weeks for a good deal at a Jazzmaster rolleyes.gif
I just love the looks of it, and some of the finishes I found were mesmerizing! I found some for 7-800$ which were MIJ, and thats far better than Mexico...right?...

I friend of mine had a jazzmaster.... It was a good one playing wise what I can remember, even though the pickups wasn't that great. I think Fender did that one as a follow up to the jazz bass, or if it was the other way round. The wood however should be equal to a strat or tele, and that is the most important imo. Good luck buddy!

//Staffay

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 14 2009, 11:30 PM) *
...or maybe he's like I used to be; Buying many guitars and changing his mind very quickly biggrin.gif

Im still that way.... biggrin.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 15 2009, 12:35 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 14 2009, 11:19 PM) *

Haha, I`m fully aware of it. But listen to this Zakk:

You said I was asking about a MM, a shred guitar, a seven string and a jackson (which all is true). After you told me about the Sl 3, I lost interest in that. AND, I`m currently involved in an auction for a EBMM JP7 guitar (which is a guitar which suits three of the points mentioned above). I`ve already participated in many, and lost the last one at this saturday. sad.gif

If this band has some success, which it seems like we will, I will buy a surf - guitar.

How? I`m just changing them. I have a carvin strat which I have some people mailing me about, hopefully it goes before christmas.
I have an Ibanez S classic which I will sell if I get the JP - guitar. And, we`ve been granted with some funds for young musicians in my home town smile.gif

The only thing that was a very temporarily idea was the acoustic. I still play a lot of it, but I`ve changed a bit of the set up on my own.

And..... yes...I have a tendense to change very quickly biggrin.gif
But the current plan is a band-guitar, and a shred-axe for the rest

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2009, 12:37 AM
Instructor
I'm no expert in surf guitars, but you have to scout local stores in search for the guitar you seek for. Try before you buy!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 15 2009, 12:56 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 15 2009, 12:37 AM) *
I'm no expert in surf guitars, but you have to scout local stores in search for the guitar you seek for. Try before you buy!

I`m living in a pretty small town, and I`m pretty up to date of what they music store has. As a matter of fact, I`m a pretty good friend of both owners, so they use to text me when recieving things they thing I`d be interested in tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 15 2009, 01:17 AM
GMC:er
charvel surfcasters are really cool guitars

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/t..._Surfcaster.jpg

some even come with piezos! they have a very comfy neck but have that cool vintage sound and styling

MIJ, you can find them under $1000 USD on ebay

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 15 2009, 10:14 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Dec 15 2009, 01:17 AM) *

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/t..._Surfcaster.jpg

some even come with piezos! they have a very comfy neck but have that cool vintage sound and styling

MIJ, you can find them under $1000 USD on ebay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 15 2009, 12:23 PM
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Dec 15 2009, 12:17 AM) *

That is exactly what I was going to suggest!!! I used to have one when they first came out, great instrument for the money!!!
I'd still have it if it weren't for a neanderthal of a Roadie!!!
biggrin.gif

Here's one for sale in Germany.

And here's one in the UK. (Good Price too!)

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Dec 15 2009, 12:28 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Dec 16 2009, 07:01 PM
get yourself one of these http://www.danelectro.com/guitars_main.html

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:31 PM