Increasing Picking Speed
Tyler Holmes
Mar 25 2009, 12:14 AM
GMC:er
so im learing a new song, and as i try to play it to the music i notice that i have trouble with some of the picking speeds in the song, i can reach a pretty high speed but cant seem to go any faster. i was wondering if there is any exersizes that i can use to increase my picking speed

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 25 2009, 12:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
I learned it by playing Slayer songs...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Tyler Holmes
Mar 25 2009, 12:37 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 25 2009, 12:21 AM) *

oh, maybe ill try that then, got any songs to recomend?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 25 2009, 12:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
I don't know your skill level, Slayer might be too much but you can always try Raining Blood, Angel of Death and War Ensemble... (in that order)

Playing Slayer worked for me, it might work for you it might not...There are other ways of learning how to pick faster OR maybe your technique has a flaw that keeps you back. A vid of your playing would help us to help you^^

This lesson was also very helpfull to me:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...cking-exercise/

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2009, 01:45 AM
Instructor
How do you practice, do you use metronome?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 25 2009, 02:11 AM
Jazz Instructor
There is a standardized way for that. Metronome, playing slowly, focusing on rhythm....

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Mar 25 2009, 07:46 AM
Instructor
First of all, if it's any comfort I'd say this is perfectly normal. Every guitarist reach this threshold eventually.

As Vasilije said, work with a metronome etc. but also try to stay as relaxed as possible in the hands. It will only hold you back if you get tense.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 25 2009, 09:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 24 2009, 11:21 PM) *

haha good advice smile.gif
Now when I think about this I actually remember that this band helped me a lot as well. I don't know why I never mention that when I think of how I started developing technique. The songs that you suggested are great picking exercises but of course you have to like the music so you can enjoy playing.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 25 2009, 03:05 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Definitely practice with a click, start slowly and step by step increase the speed. And yeah, Slayer songs might help too tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Canis
Mar 25 2009, 03:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Playing with a metrome is definetly one of the best ways!
I gained enormous more speed when practicing Gabriel's Neoclassical Alternate Picking, and then playing along with it in GuitarPro with the speed trainer.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 25 2009, 09:20 PM
Instructor
Metronome, Backing tracks, some sort of sequencer software (Band in a box for example) and original songs you are aiming for !

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:33 PM