Speed Building, Keeping my hand relaxed
Ctodd
May 19 2009, 10:48 PM
GMC:er
Ok, so I'll get right to the point

Is keeping your hand/wrist relaxed crucial when you are trying to build speed?

right now I am working on Pavel's "Power Galloping" lesson

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ower-galloping/

the ending sequence has an AP run and I am having trouble getting past the 105 BPM area. (a couple of days ago I was having a good practice, and was able to play along with the 110 backing track quite cleanly)

but, when I go to warm up, I've noticed that my wrist is quite tense, and I just realized that that is probably not good technique. I've spent the past 2 days going back and trying to play at REALLY slow speeds, (70-80 BPM) and try to keep my wrist relaxed... and then gradually up the tempo, but that doesn't really help.

so my next question is, should I continue trying to push my limit while trying to mind the tenseness in my wrist, or should I go back to square one, and really force myself to play with a relaxed wrist.

For clarification, I would like to add that I would describe my wrist as just "tense". Not really tense or a little tense. It just feels like I should try and relax it a bit. But then again, I have no idea what "normal" is in this situation.

thanks for the help!

-Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 19 2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor
You should definitely be able to play it comfortably, and that usually means not tensing too much. Of course, when you push to the limit, the hand will tense, but only for some limited amount of time. In slower tempos, try to keep it as relaxed as possible (but stiff enough to play everything nicely). Just a matter of balance.
In general, you reached the limit. I suggest you take some time off this exercise, and in a couple of days, I'm sure it will settle a bit, so you can play it more faster mate. Just take your time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sigma7
May 19 2009, 11:00 PM
yah, definitely listen to Ivan. I did the same thing u did, thought i could play through it, and now i cant play at all until it heals. Its benn 3 months now and hoping it will end soon. Just relax and dont try to play a new lick at high speed until u worked ur way to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 19 2009, 11:03 PM
Instructor
It's hard to describe what "relaxed" IS in a first place.
Lets say that you can never have fully relaxed hand when doing
faster picking stuff simply because muscles are damn busy!
But what you CAN do is not to let too much tension and numbness into your hand,
so relaxed at fast stuff is more like not tense.

Pushing your limit is a must whatsoever,
look at it like this:
slow(fully relaxed)- bit faster (still very relaxed)- more faster (works ok) - even more faster (might be the top).
So with pushing your limits you are adding another step or range up in your playing,
"might be the top" becomes "works ok", "works ok" becomes "still very relaxed"
and the most important thing, it keeps going on and on!
So keep practicing, try not to feel too much tense, push your limits all the time
and that WILL bring results in no time. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: May 19 2009, 11:03 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ctodd
May 19 2009, 11:17 PM
thanks everyone for your responses!!!

and thanks everyone that helped in chat.

I'll follow the advice I got from everyone for the next few days and I'll repost here and let you guys know how it goes!

-Chris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 20 2009, 12:34 AM
Instructor
You're welcome Chris and please do keep us updated. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 20 2009, 10:46 AM
Instructor
It's our pleasure to help mate. Let us know about your further progress. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 20 2009, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Chris we talked about this in chat last night. I hope you are all set now ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ctodd
May 29 2009, 02:35 AM
Ok, so it's been more than a few days (it's been 10) since I went to you guys for help.

and Despite injuring myself (non-guitar injury) and taking a few days off, I am now able to play at the same speed I was playing at last week, but with a completely relaxed hand. This is, of course, after a lengthy warm-up.

And it's awesome!

Now I can play for longer periods of time without stopping, and I'm very confident I will be able to progress much faster, but we'll have to wait and see.

I think it was Pedja who put it forth this idea initially in chat, but everyone agreed..... What I basically did, was take everyone's advice of getting a run as XX BPM absolutely PERFECT 10 times straight before bumping up the speed. Before this I just waited until it sounded perfect, and then I immediately upped the speed. And now my wrist sort of feels like it's just flopping around, but it sounds great! Of course maybe controlling the dynamics might be an issue later on when I go to work on that... but I'll take everything one step at a time.

thanks everyone!

-Chris

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
May 29 2009, 08:54 AM
I never really know what I should be doing to warm up. My practicing time is pretty restricted so I try to put in as much of it as possible working on metronome exercises, so I don't really have a dedicated warm up routine.

How long do you warm up for and what do you do?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 29 2009, 09:43 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Generally you warm up for 15 minutes...You do that with warm up exercises or other exercises that seem suitable but played on a really slow tempo.

Here are some warm up lessons here at GMC :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-marcus-siepen/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/3-minutes-warmup-lesson/

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 29 2009, 09:47 AM
Instructor
Chris thats really great news, congratulations. I am glad my advice helped you in chat man. Never hesitate to ask and keep up the good work ! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 29 2009, 10:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (AdamB @ May 29 2009, 09:54 AM) *
I never really know what I should be doing to warm up. My practicing time is pretty restricted so I try to put in as much of it as possible working on metronome exercises, so I don't really have a dedicated warm up routine.

How long do you warm up for and what do you do?

You can warm up with pretty much everything,
imo it's pretty handy to warm up using a solo or some real licks
that you have been practicing lately, but do it slowly of course.
Do it for couple of minutes until you feel relaxed and ready for something else. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 29 2009, 10:26 AM

to me relaxed is when my fingers move independently. I don't think you can be tense if your fingers move like that. If you pay attention to the teachers here, you see how their fingers move, independently. Rather than fingers moving together like they were Siamese twins/triplets/quinttruplets. A lot of times I play something without a pick, tapping the notes rather than picking, to get that feeling of fingers moving independently. Then when I use the pick on that same notes, well I become conscious that I need to concentrate on moving the fingers when using the pick in the independent fashion I do it if I just tap the notes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:00 AM