Sound Of Pick Plucking Note
shellshock1911
Feb 10 2008, 03:14 AM
GMC:er
This is annoying the crap out of me. I have been filming myself playing and the one thing I notice that is in all the videos and not in anyone's elses videos is the sound my pick plucking the string. In other videos, the notes just come out of the guitar. But on mine there is the note on top of "pluck" sound. I have tried to fix it by picking lightly but the sound is still there, especially in chords. Any tips?

It makes a staccato sound which is horrible!!!!!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Feb 10 2008, 03:15 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
UncleSkillet
Feb 10 2008, 04:36 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have a Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat (S1 switch is great). I love this guitar. I use Dunlop Stubby 2mm picks (Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky 9-46) because I love the way they feel and sound (more attack without getting it from a compressor). A few things I have learned through my years of playing are, the strings you are playing with, what the pick is made out of, how thick it is and where you pick, can make a difference. This type of tone you describe, think about where you pick the most (is it directly over a pickup or close to one? For me I noticed I like to pick right over the middle pickup most of the time. The pickup was to close to the strings where I wanted to pick and I was picking up the attack and tone of the pick stroke too much. It gave it to much attack, creating the same sound you are talking about. So I lowered the middle pickup, which is where my pick was hitting and problem was solved. Middle pickup tone still blends nice now and because that is where I like to play it creates my own unique sound.

I hope this helps you with something.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 10 2008, 10:57 AM
are you using a lot of gain?

btw, you aren't the only one. I've seen videos of Slash with tons of pick noise. Google his godfather solo and you'll see

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 10 2008, 11:06 AM
Get to da Chopper!
I always hear Michael Angelo Batio's pick sound when hes playing- i guess he likes it- i dont mind it either

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 11:38 AM
Instructor
The pick sound must be even, that's all. Every note should have the same picking sound. Don't worry if this can be heard - the part of tour sound comes from the picking sound as well.

When you are recording to your computer, are you recording via mic or some interface?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 10 2008, 12:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I guess you are using Mic to record so pick sound comes in ? Try going away of the mic for it to not pick up the pick sound..All in all pick sound is great and gives you the additional "color" and feeling to your sound..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 10 2008, 12:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
A lot of people record the guitar using line in, no picking sounds. And they also make a video, but they keep the sound and video apart. Then they mix them with the right timing, so you have the nice sound and the normal video.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 10 2008, 03:21 PM
QUOTE (Iron King @ Feb 10 2008, 10:57 AM) *
are you using a lot of gain?

btw, you aren't the only one. I've seen videos of Slash with tons of pick noise. Google his godfather solo and you'll see

Yea I always keep my gain at max, I'll try turning it down

The pick sound must be even, that's all. Every note should have the same picking sound. Don't worry if this can be heard - the part of tour sound comes from the picking sound as well.

When you are recording to your computer, are you recording via mic or some interface?

I'm not recording to computer, I'm using a small camcorder to record videos of me playing.

Anyway I'll make sure to turn gain down and pick more lightly. These strings are about 10 months old as well because they are on a Floyd Rose guitar and I don't want to spend the time changing them, but I guess it is about time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:04 PM
Instructor
Well there are several problems there my friend. First, roll off the gain - you actually don't need too much gain when recording, because you wanna get more defined sound over buzzing sound.

The other thing is definitely a cheap mic in your camcoder. It is not built for recording guitar sound in mind at all. Try using your line in as you audio source when recording.

And the last thing, change your strings, they are pretty old, 10 months is a lot of time.

Cheers m8!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 10 2008, 06:07 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If you are using camcorder (and built in mic) I suggest you to bring your amp closer to the Camcorder (mic) itself and turn it up a little..That way it won't pickup a lot of sound coming from your picking on guitar. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Windwalker
Feb 11 2008, 01:30 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Feb 10 2008, 03:14 AM) *
This is annoying the crap out of me. I have been filming myself playing and the one thing I notice that is in all the videos and not in anyone's elses videos is the sound my pick plucking the string. In other videos, the notes just come out of the guitar. But on mine there is the note on top of "pluck" sound. I have tried to fix it by picking lightly but the sound is still there, especially in chords. Any tips?

It makes a staccato sound which is horrible!!!!!!!!

HEY UNCLE SKILLET, I also just got a Fender deluxe Fat Strat and love it as well. Just last week added a Fender Super-sonic Amp and the sound of the two together is great. BTW-- I'm also from Ohio

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:52 PM