3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Redecorating My Attic Storage Room..., ...for a place to practice undisturbed.
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 13 2014, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
I was up in my attic storage space the other day and got the idea of rearranging it for a place to practice, where I wouldn't get distracted by internet, TV and so on. I have a sofa up there along with a table already, but...it's not too cozy and it's a bit scary since there's not much light during the evenings!

I'm terrible at things like this, but I want to make it more cozy and comfortable, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here it is in its current state:

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2014, 05:01 PM
GMC:er
this could make a KILLER mini studio / practice space. You may think about using some sort of audio treatment partially just to make it feel more like a music space. This would not of course be a perfect audio centric solution, but as it's a confined space it might make sense.

You could purchase an accoustic foam kit and put it up on the walls/corners and it would look/feel much more studio like. You've got plenty of hard surfacaces so it shouldn't feel to "dead".

For example here is a room kit.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Roo...CFeJF7AodNEgAMg

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 13 2014, 10:59 AM) *
I was up in my attic storage space the other day and got the idea of rearranging it for a place to practice, where I wouldn't get distracted by internet, TV and so on. I have a sofa up there along with a table already, but...it's not too cozy and it's a bit scary since there's not much light during the evenings!

I'm terrible at things like this, but I want to make it more cozy and comfortable, so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here it is in its current state:

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 13 2014, 05:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
There's a slight problem though, which I kinda forgot to mention and which makes a proper studio room not work. There's no electricity up there and there's no way I could bring any electricity up there (I live on the 1st floor, space is at the 5th floor). So my lamp is rechargable and I'll bring my laptop up there or my battery run PX4D.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Mar 13 2014, 05:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 13 2014, 05:45 PM
Instructor
hehehe the famous Attic! Please remember to avoid the cat going there if you want to play without distractions! laugh.gif

I would decorate it to make it look as a place that makes you feel inspired. Try to think on places that makes you feel well, motivated and make it look like that. I think that choosing colors, posters, decoration items, the table, everything can help to make you feel better and more inspired there.

Here you will find a cool article about what things you need to have in mind to decorate a meditation room. Playing guitar is some kind of meditation so I think that you will get good ideas from it.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-st...ow/11363911.cms

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 13 2014, 05:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm thinking about putting some photos up that I just cut out of some science magazine. Photos of animals, space etc. Then also some origami cranes maybe from the ceiling.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 13 2014, 08:02 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 13 2014, 09:03 AM) *
There's a slight problem though, which I kinda forgot to mention and which makes a proper studio room not work. There's no electricity up there and there's no way I could bring any electricity up there (I live on the 1st floor, space is at the 5th floor). So my lamp is rechargable and I'll bring my laptop up there or my battery run PX4D.

No electricity is a huge problem, They don't have any lights or wall plugs close by you can tap off of?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 13 2014, 08:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Palacios @ Mar 13 2014, 08:02 PM) *
No electricity is a huge problem, They don't have any lights or wall plugs close by you can tap off of?

Unfortunately not. Been looking all over the place. It's not THAT big a deal as I can just use my laptop. It has about 6 hours of battery life, or my PX4D which also runs on batteries. Both will provide good enough time for a nice practice session.

Main problem is still that the place is a bit scary and that I'm a sissy laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Mar 13 2014, 08:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Mar 13 2014, 08:36 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
One thing to keep in mind about attic spaces is that they are usually cold and dry during the winter, and hot and humid during the summer, things that we know can have a negative impact on stringed instruments. The humidity can be kept down though if it is well ventilated with ridge vents with eve vents , gable vents, or even fans in conjunction with a humidistat. It appears to be a cold roof since I see no insulation between the rafters. It also looks like there is some insulation on the gable wall but I am not sure if that is to the outside or just a separating partition wall between rooms. Is it cooler up there in the winter than it is in your apartment, or hotter up there in the summer? I hope it works out for you, it looks like a real cozy place to practice. smile.gif

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Mar 13 2014, 08:37 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 13 2014, 08:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 13 2014, 08:36 PM) *
One thing to keep in mind about attic spaces is that they are usually cold and dry during the winter, and hot and humid during the summer, things that we know can have a negative impact on stringed instruments. The humidity can be kept down though if it is well ventilated with ridge vents with eve vents , gable vents, or even fans in conjunction with a humidistat. It appears to be a cold roof since I see no insulation between the rafters. It also looks like there is some insulation on the gable wall but I am not sure if that is to the outside or just a separating partition wall between rooms. Is it cooler up there in the winter than it is in your apartment, or hotter up there in the summer? I hope it works out for you, it looks like a real cozy place to practice. smile.gif

Yeah, I'm not sure about insulation, think you're right about that. I never did a thorough check, but I think you're right. It's pretty well ventilated though from what I can see. There are quite a lot of vents, which you can't see on the photo. So I reckon it might get a bit cold up there during the winter. It's pretty nice up there at the moment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2014, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
Hmm. Yeah, that is gonna be a bit of an issue smile.gif However!!!!! You can don't need electricity if you use the proper gear! smile.gif In this case that would be...

1.)A laptop running a daw and a guitar sim

2.)a quarter inch to usb cable instead of an interface.

3.)A pair of heaphones.

That way you can practice all you want without disturbing anyone smile.gif Otherwise you are looking at just practicing accoustic or playing electric with perhaps no amp or maybe a battery powered amp.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 13 2014, 12:03 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 13 2014, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 13 2014, 09:41 PM) *
Hmm. Yeah, that is gonna be a bit of an issue smile.gif However!!!!! You can don't need electricity if you use the proper gear! smile.gif In this case that would be...

1.)A laptop running a daw and a guitar sim

2.)a quarter inch to usb cable instead of an interface.

3.)A pair of heaphones.

That way you can practice all you want without disturbing anyone smile.gif Otherwise you are looking at just practicing accoustic or playing electric with perhaps no amp or maybe a battery powered amp.

Yeah, I was looking to practice with headphones like you mention. And for that it's just fine, can't make it a home studio though unfortunately. I do have some issues with my audio card (Steinberg CI2) though when I use it with my laptop. It cuts out every now and then when used with my laptop, which is quite annoying, but it works perfectly on my desktop. I have tried reinstalling the drivers, but no luck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 15 2014, 11:38 AM
Instructor
Thank you Gabi for the meditation room link smile.gif That will spark a few ideas for me as well biggrin.gif

Now, Ben smile.gif I would try covering the attic walls with a layer of steel wool, that will be covered by a layer of thick material - white or egg colored. Over that I would place a framework of thin wooden strips which would resemble squares for instance.

That should create good insulation and a cozy atmosphere. Also, getting electric current up there would be important. Are there any possibilities?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 15 2014, 12:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 15 2014, 11:38 AM) *
Thank you Gabi for the meditation room link smile.gif That will spark a few ideas for me as well biggrin.gif

Now, Ben smile.gif I would try covering the attic walls with a layer of steel wool, that will be covered by a layer of thick material - white or egg colored. Over that I would place a framework of thin wooden strips which would resemble squares for instance.

That should create good insulation and a cozy atmosphere. Also, getting electric current up there would be important. Are there any possibilities?

The first thing I will be doing, as I don't have any money at the moment is to cover the walls with some old light blue sheets I have. I have also put up some pictures and some origami birds.

Unfortunately there's no way of getting electricity up there. I live on the first floor and the room is at the fifth floor and there's no way of running anything all the way up there. But I think I can live with bringing my laptop up there. I'm trying to get it set up so I just have everything I need on it - Cubase, Guitar Rig, Superior Drummer etc. It has pretty good battery life of around 4-5 hours (used to be 6...). So that should have me covered alright.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 15 2014, 12:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
for a quick fix put headphones out of a distortion box, it ain't the best , but it will do

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 15 2014, 03:18 PM
Learning Roadie
It's too bad I don't live in Copenhagen. I guarantee I could get you power up there; even if I had to steal it from the neighbors. laugh.gif That could be a great place to turn your amp up, and get crazy loud. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 15 2014, 03:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 15 2014, 11:01 AM) *
The first thing I will be doing, as I don't have any money at the moment is to cover the walls with some old light blue sheets I have. I have also put up some pictures and some origami birds.

Unfortunately there's no way of getting electricity up there. I live on the first floor and the room is at the fifth floor and there's no way of running anything all the way up there. But I think I can live with bringing my laptop up there. I'm trying to get it set up so I just have everything I need on it - Cubase, Guitar Rig, Superior Drummer etc. It has pretty good battery life of around 4-5 hours (used to be 6...). So that should have me covered alright.

One step at a time, but, to do it Romanian style biggrin.gif You could order an EXTRA long cable and bring electricity upstairs from the closest possible source smile.gif I know people in here who did that laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 15 2014, 03:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 15 2014, 03:28 PM) *
One step at a time, but, to do it Romanian style biggrin.gif You could order an EXTRA long cable and bring electricity upstairs from the closest possible source smile.gif I know people in here who did that laugh.gif

That's one way to do it, but it would mean I would have to throw the cable out the window in the attic get it in my window or something like that.

Naeh, unfortunately it's not gonna work, but my laptop on its own should work just fine. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 16 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 15 2014, 02:41 PM) *
That's one way to do it, but it would mean I would have to throw the cable out the window in the attic get it in my window or something like that.

Naeh, unfortunately it's not gonna work, but my laptop on its own should work just fine. smile.gif

It feels a bit frustrating for me biggrin.gif Because I am trying to come up with a solution and I see none looming ahead ... Well, if you say you can do it without the electricity, then go ahead mate! Keep us updated about the decorations smile.gif

+Quote Post
Palacios
Mar 16 2014, 10:04 AM
Learning Roadie
What is that grey box in the background? Is it an electric heater? If so you might be in business. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 16 2014, 11:56 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Palacios @ Mar 16 2014, 10:04 AM) *
What is that grey box in the background? Is it an electric heater? If so you might be in business. wink.gif

If only it was. Well, it is, but I took it down from my kitchen and placed it up there laugh.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 16 2014, 08:50 AM) *
It feels a bit frustrating for me biggrin.gif Because I am trying to come up with a solution and I see none looming ahead ... Well, if you say you can do it without the electricity, then go ahead mate! Keep us updated about the decorations smile.gif

Well, as said, my laptop will be okay, I reckon, and my audio card is a usb card. So that should be fine.

On another note I spent 1½ hour up there yesterday practicing. Much better place to practice than here in my apartment. Much easier to concentrate.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:51 PM