Help Writing Rhythm Riffs For Metal
gnarkill
Oct 20 2016, 05:22 PM
GMC:er
I have been around music most of my life. I took Piano Lessons when I was 8, I played the trumpet when I was 11, and then picked up bass around 14, and guitar around 16. I was classically trained with piano and trumpet, but guitar I just taught myself. I have been off and on until 3-4 years ago I became very serious with guitar. I have accumulated some good guitars, some good amps and many good pedals. I consider myself to be in the upper tier of intermediate. I can play well, but my weakness is in my writing.

So that is what I am here for. For me, writing solos is pretty easy. I just solo in the mode that the song is in. It makes perfect sense, and I know there is more to it, but for now... this part is pretty clear. The problem I am having... RHYTHM RIFFS are killing me. All I really do is very very basic stuff. Guitar is in drop C, and I power chord my riffs. Boom... thats it. But I would really like to learn how to construct some riffs, and learn why they work.

I have an issue when I google search for this info. I have seen countless videos, and its not giving me the info I want.

So, for a discussion, lets use C Phrygian. Teach me! Haha. Seriously, I dont know even where to begin. I will have lots of questions!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Darius Wave
Oct 30 2016, 11:57 PM
Instructor
I belive that analysis of riffs we know happens in our subconscious. That how at some point our own creations have sourse in pieces of everything we did play before.

For me it always helps to view things in full concept including other instrumnts.
Questions I usually ask myself are
1. Does one part lead to another
2. Is the tension build proper through each part
3. And most important...how do I interact with other instruments or vocal. Do I take place in spectrum while it''s already dense.

If can can answer YES yo all above I start to make sketch/draft. At this stage I analyze harmonic content based on the particular genre.
At the final stage I add any "tips and tricks" that will add some flavor without destroying sense of whole concept.

I usually do not have everything at once. I spend a lot of time making experiments and putting into doubt if every note has a reason to be in it's place. In most cases it starts hard...being not satisfied what came out. I give it some time...leave it for day or two. Then I capture myslef literally "singing" what could be fine in my mind. Then I sit again and finish the composition smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:16 PM