Guitar Secrets, What helps you play better?
Ryan
Apr 5 2007, 02:17 AM
GMC:er
What are you secrets of playing better....what do you do...that helps you..before you play on stage..or play in front of friends...what helps you play like you do??
What helps you improvise?
Just put one thing on here that helps you do anything that you do on guitar, and why does it, or why do you think it helps!!!

Mine would be to be relaxed at all times..which can be hard sometimes..when under pressure..because everybody is expecting so much of you...and ur worried..that u might mess up!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 5 2007, 02:31 AM
LSD

er... I mean practice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 5 2007, 02:36 AM
lol awesome

--------------------

+Quote Post
moles
Apr 5 2007, 02:59 AM
drink tea tongue.gif

its like the only i thing i drink biggrin.gif

its relaxing in a way, but more an addiction now and has become etched into my routine wink.gif

+Quote Post
VinceG
Apr 5 2007, 05:59 AM
i dont do anything but just be me. Im not a soloing kinda person, more of riff oriented so I dont "wow" people but whatever works. A good riff carries a good solo.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 5 2007, 10:42 AM
GMC Founder
I don't know if this answers your question but my absolute biggest trick to make progress - is to work hard on being able to realise that some things which you thought you are good at - are actually really crappy.

Most people who get stuck don't want to realise what they actually need to practice. I think this is valid for most things in life. Reconsider reconsider reconsider!

Oh and one more thing I stay away from drugs. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Apr 5 2007, 11:10 AM
Instructor
Did i mention practicing before?? .... well, in case i didn't - i just practice the whole day and i think how good it will be to be able to play like my influences, to have gigs, especially QUALITY gigs - with no mistakes in playing, huge crowds... to achieve that you have to practice hard and that's what keep me motivated all these years.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 5 2007, 12:27 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think a good "Secret" is to be ablt to look at the most difficult of Guitar techniques with the attitude, "Ok, if a practice that, ill get it down."
and also, like Pavel said, Practice Practice Practice!!!

+Quote Post
Ric
Apr 5 2007, 02:09 PM
The "practice" part is obvious. It's obvious because it's the single most important thing to do.

However, I think there's also truth in what you said here:
QUOTE (Ryan @ Apr 5 2007, 02:17 AM) *
Mine would be to be relaxed at all times.

I've just put the guitar down for a bit, because I was practising something - it was going well for a while, but then I started losing it. Rather than get too worked up about it, I'm having a break - I'll come back to it a bit later, and hopefully it will click into place.

I'm starting to realise that in almost anything you do, if you get too tense you'll go wrong - you have to be relaxed and just let it come naturally. If it's not working out, don't try to force it - don't let it get you worked up.

Rule 2 is: "If it's not working out, take a break, chill out and come back to it."

Rule 1 is, of course: "Practice" smile.gif

--------------------
Barmy Army! Barmy Army!

+Quote Post
Jeff
Apr 5 2007, 04:43 PM
Visualization. Visualize the whole scene before you play in front of people well in advance. If it's a paying gig, get there early and check things out. Never be surprised about the surroundings, etc. Then set alone with your guitar and get warmed up. I like to warm up for an hour if I have that kind of time. If I know what I'm walking into, I'm usually ok. If I go in cold, I tend to mess up more.

Perhaps you may meet someone who works there - (bartender, waiter, bouncer, etc. if you're at a bar or something) and ask them what the crowd is like and what they usually expect. Ask them to provide you some feedback after your first set and then you can adjust. Generally someone like that will be objective because you have asked for their opinion and they have seen musicians night after night and they know the deal.

The more you know about your gig, the more relaxed you can be and that helps a lot.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 5 2007, 10:43 PM
thats all good stuff smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:27 PM