Optimal Speed
Syko
Jan 8 2009, 11:31 PM
GMC:er
Hi everyone!!!
I'm the kind of guitarist who's been playing for a long time and who has just started practising seriously only recently...
Now I'm working hard on correcting the mistakes i've been making for such a long time wink.gif

I'd like to know if, in exercise lessons, there is an ideal speed you're supposed to reach.
For instance, I'm now practising Danilo's lessons series ( HAND SYNCRONIZATION, RIGHT HAND BASICS, FINGERS INDEPENDANCE):

IS THE SPEED SHOWN IN THE VIDEO THE SPEED I SHOULD AIM FOR, OR SHOULD I PLAY IT FASTER?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions smile.gif

Ps. Grazie degli ottimi esercizi Danilo / Thanks for the excellent exercises you shared with us Danilo wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Life is just like a guitar: the fretborad has a beginning and an ending... but the music that can come out from it is endless

Kristofer Dahl is my HERO!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
superize
Jan 9 2009, 02:38 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I think you should try and play it as controllled as possible and increase the speed when you feel you have mastered the speed you are playing on now......

As long as you can play it clean and controlled you can play it as fast as possible

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Syko
Jan 9 2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks superize, guess you're just right smile.gif

--------------------
Life is just like a guitar: the fretborad has a beginning and an ending... but the music that can come out from it is endless

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jan 9 2009, 12:05 PM
Instructor
Supersize is correct.

I think...especially with the excersise lessons that the instructor is trying to show basic excersises to chew on.

Some people will get to the speed in the video and stop, others may want to push themselves to a faster speed.

If you feel you can do it faster, by all means go for it. Everyone has their own goals for what is acceptable speed wise for any technique.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Syko
Jan 9 2009, 12:18 PM
That's just fine to me!! Thank you Daniel smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 9 2009, 12:20 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm keep in mind that the speed in which instructor plays it in the video is just for demonstration purpose! Goal of the lesson is to show some important exercises and how to play them..It wouldn't be appropriate to play it too fast in the demonstration video because you and others couldn't hear/see how it should be executed..

You should set yourself goals (and ask the instructor in the feedback what should be guidelines regarding bpm)..You need to play CLEAN and than fast..

So start with a tempo of 60bpm and go up to 120 for example..If you can play it without mistakes and CLEAN (and controlled) you can go faster...its recommended to do that..Just make sure you are playing clean...Going fast withouth control is a bad thing..

So all in all , exercise lessons show you the exercises and its up to you to write down your goals and practice playing clean and fast.

Cheers

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Syko
Jan 9 2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you so much Bodgan, I thought so too, glad to know I was right smile.gif

This post has been edited by Syko: Jan 9 2009, 12:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 9 2009, 01:33 PM
Instructor
Just to add that precision is more important than speed. In that sense you should go up to speeds that allow you to play everything clean and precise. After that if you wanna go further it's important to go gradually so you don't lose precision. The amount of time you spend on some exercise following this advice = the speed of the exercise.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Syko
Jan 9 2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah I'll keep that in mind for sure, Thanks!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 9 2009, 02:41 PM
Instructor
Paul Gilbert says that you must be able to play something at twice it's speed to be confortable. And if you see John Petrucci's clinic he says that he always pushes the speed a few points up of the maximum speed to achive the same that Gilbert mention.
So, it's good to practice something beyond the speed that is ment to be played in order to get it more clear. But, be sure that you always play it spotless because if not that trick doesn't work and only adds more dirt on the technique.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 10 2009, 02:31 AM
Instructor
Yeah,sometimes even pushing a bit above your limits could be a good thing.
Just don't do it too often and try not to injure yourself. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 10 2009, 02:33 AM
Instructor
First make sure that you can play things in your tempo zone - which could be quarter notes at 60 bpm for example. After that keep pushing tempo by 8 bpm , and pretty soon you will be able to play in the higher tempo registers wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Syko
Jan 15 2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! I really appreciated them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 15 2009, 11:18 PM
Instructor
You welcome - on my end smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jan 16 2009, 11:14 PM
Jazz Instructor
Yeah, Petrucci pointed that out, though I think that's very progressive technique.
You mustn't do it too long, you could injure your hand, do it at the end of practice session when you are warmed up. 5-10 minutes would be fine, every day, or every second day.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:01 AM