Tone Tips For A Complete Newbie
Marek Rojewski
Jun 22 2015, 09:27 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Hi again venerable GMC'ers.

On my recent REC takes, my tone has been criticised (and rightly so) but I don't really understand what I should do to improve it unsure.gif

My gear experience is very limited, 90% of time, I play my guitar connected to my computer via Line6 Toneport GX, and 10% used my small cheap amp. Concerning Line6 Toneport - I always used presets downloaded from the Internet and rarely tried to change anything in them.
When playing in a band situation, used only my amp with build in four effects, called metal / override / distortion / metal 2.

Do you have any tips for a person that has 0 experience with "tone making" other than sit down with your guitar and start manipulating all the controls possible? The number of possibilities is so big that I always felt overwhelmed by it.

Maybe you have some GMC lesson suggestions or Youtube links that could introduce a "tone newbie" like me to the topic?

How did you start learning the "enigmatic art of tonemaking" ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 22 2015, 10:51 AM
GMC:er
We had a topic recently where members shared tones and kristofer gave advice, it was dependant on the backing track naturally but was popular and I guess more topics like that will pop-up in time.

I don't have your equipment, this is just a guess but on the preset probably your mid. eq (on amp or pedal) is very lowered. Try increasing it slowly to taste and then decrease the overall output to match the backing track. If this is not the case, then probably the cabinet ir you are using must change.

Now besides that, its best for you to slowly start tweaking and try memorizing what fx/amp setting has what kind of effect on the overall tone. You can also tweak the presets you use but don't rush into it though cause it will take sometime, start experimenting with only amp settings then add pedals etc...

Presets are fine to use but sooner or later you'll want more flexibility, its then your time with experimenting with your gear will be rewarding.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 22 2015, 11:02 AM
GMC Founder
I think what many people do wrong, is to sit down with their guitar and amp software - and browse through patches until they found something cool sounding. They'll then use that patch for whatever backing track they are playing over.

I would suggest you browse the line6 patches while the backing track is playing. Try to find something which makes your guitar be heard without it being way louder than the backing. The patch does not have to sound amazing (you ll be able to add overdrive stomps and delays etc afterwards).

When you have found something that seems to work - then stop browsing patches and instead spend a couple of minutes every day to tweak that patch. Try making small EQ tweaks (bass, middle, treble) before your practice session and see how it affects things. If you want to change the character more dramatically try adding a tube screamer style stomp in the beginning of the chain (you should be able to find this in your Line6 software) .

In short:

* try patches while the backing track is playing

* tweak your sound a *little* bit every practice session

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 23 2015, 11:18 AM
Instructor
Basic difference is the choice of solo tone and rhythm tone. Most of cases rhythm tone accepts lot more treble due to low notes being played and treble compensation to widen the spectrum and keep the attack clear - especially in dense, metal playing. Now for solo tone there is (especially in metal) an opposite. We need to cut much more treble on the amp eq because we do play high notes most of the time and we need to pull out much more midrange to:
1. Separate solo guitar from backing guitars in the same mix
2. Cut something that becomes unpleasant when playing high notes - it's the harsh treble

Usually the tone you consider to be even a little too "boxy" will work perfect for a solo guitar.

Line 6 is able to deliver some descent tones (not necessary dynamics response) and IMHO is one of the easiest tools for "tone beginners". Fisrt basic mistake is to trying to mess too much with all thsoe FX, EQ, Compressors etc.

It's best to start by having only one amp and cabinet turned on and messig with amp settings (eq and gain) to get as close as possible to what you expect.

I think you might find Soldano SLO simulation (don't remember Line 6 substitue name for this). It might fit great for the type of solos you showed us in your previous takes. Don't be afraid of some ridicolous looking eq setting. I know a lot of players (with myself) whoi push middle eq knob to a absolute max and treble knob to almost 0 when adjusting solotone on high gain amps like Mesa, Peavey or Soldano (especially). My personal reason for choosing soldano for metal solos was the type of "grain" it had - smooth, not so sharp and very clear midrange that could deliver smooth solo tone with much less harsh frequencies then previously mentioned.

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: Jun 23 2015, 11:21 AM

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 9 2015, 12:19 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Sorry for a bit of "threadomancy".

I get the idea behind different solo and rhythm tone, but - many lessons that I record are both rhythm and solo. Do instructors record two different audio takes, combine them, but upload only one video? Or do the instructors make the "best tone" for both solo and rhythm to record the lesson?

I don't remember for sure, but i think that one of the REC requirement was to make single audio/video file, because otherwise we could always combine few audio/video files, and than recording a "good take" would be much easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 9 2015, 01:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
No Marek, you must make a compromise in tone which will fit for both: rhythm and solo wink.gif You need to use for REC section one single audio/video file.

I know they said at one of your take that your tone it's good for the rhythm part but not for solo. They forgot to mention if you follow their advices to match the tone for solo part this will still match with the rhythm part. When they said to add something in your tone don't think that you must switch a half of knob and make some dramatically changes. You must make very tiny adjustments until you will hear exactly what you need.
When Darek put me to change something in my tone we go from tiny to tiny movements. As an example at my last tone I must put more treble in my tone. I had set the treble knob at 3.55. I changed this to 4.00 and was an enough movement for what we need to hear in tone.

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jul 9 2015, 01:04 PM

+Quote Post
Ricky9
Jul 9 2015, 06:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here is an article that might help you.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscellaneous/...ng-guitar/23122

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Feat...-0928-2012.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pisP7n19ceE

This post has been edited by Ricky9: Jul 9 2015, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:34 PM