Can You Connect Two Amps Together
johnymac
Jan 5 2008, 02:51 AM
GMC:er
i have two different amps at the moment a line 6 spider III 15w and a marshall mg30dfx and i was curious if there is a way to connect them together to get a different sound. or is that just rediculous

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my gear
Epiphone les Paul extreme, Marshall MG30DFX
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Jan 5 2008, 09:16 AM
QUOTE (johnymac @ Jan 4 2008, 08:51 PM) *
i have two different amps at the moment a line 6 spider III 15w and a marshall mg30dfx and i was curious if there is a way to connect them together to get a different sound. or is that just rediculous

i don't know of any way to connect 2 amps together, as neither have an effects loop and even if you did connect them it probably wouldn't sound too good.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
Tank
Jan 5 2008, 09:51 AM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Jan 5 2008, 08:16 AM) *
i don't know of any way to connect 2 amps together, as neither have an effects loop and even if you did connect them it probably wouldn't sound too good.

My friend uses this set up, with a fender valve, and an orange. The fender has got a clean reverb sound, and the orange puts out a crunch. The trick to it is that you need to put a stereo signal splitter in the chain, just before the amps. The splitter will take the line in from your guitar, but provide two line outs, one to each amp.

Alternatively, I believe some multi effects, (such as boss GT series) have stereo out, so put the left out to one amp, and right out to the other.

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 5 2008, 12:02 PM
Instructor
You need stereo out on your pedals or from the guitar to do that, or maybe spider has a FXloop. Then you might try to hook them up, but really I don't see the point. Maybe if you would have some decent Marshall preamp, like this... smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 5 2008, 12:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You can use AUX OUT , OR PRE-EQ OUT(tuner out) if one of your amps have it..It will send the dry signal out of amp , and you can connect it to a input jack on the other amp.. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Jan 5 2008, 12:04 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 5 2008, 02:52 PM
Instructor
Or even if you have phones out on your spider, send it to marshall, and walla - you'll get your own 2 amp configuration.

The best use of two amp is when you have stereo effects, and then you send one channel to the left one, and the other to the right one.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
johnymac
Jan 7 2008, 07:45 AM
thanks guys for the ideas i'll let you know how it works out

--------------------
my gear

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 7 2008, 11:30 PM
Instructor
line out from the main Amp to the second Amp in put

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jan 8 2008, 02:43 AM
QUOTE (Hisham @ Jan 7 2008, 05:30 PM) *
line out from the main Amp to the second Amp in put

Please do NOT do this.

The "Line Out" on an amplifier is a high power output channel used to drive cabinets or individual speakers. You will damage possibly both amps if you do it.

The device you need is common and it called an AB-Y switch. Not only will it allow you to play both amps at once but you can also switch between them. Careful with your expectations though. A passive AB-Y only has a set amount of juice to send, so if you split the signal between the amps the volume of the amps will drop.

In my experience these devices are best used when switching independently between amps or simply running both at once. Switching on the fly will cause volume changes you cannot adjust for unless it is between songs.

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 8 2008, 10:06 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Jan 8 2008, 02:43 AM) *
Please do NOT do this.

The "Line Out" on an amplifier is a high power output channel used to drive cabinets or individual speakers. You will damage possibly both amps if you do it.

The device you need is common and it called an AB-Y switch. Not only will it allow you to play both amps at once but you can also switch between them. Careful with your expectations though. A passive AB-Y only has a set amount of juice to send, so if you split the signal between the amps the volume of the amps will drop.

In my experience these devices are best used when switching independently between amps or simply running both at once. Switching on the fly will cause volume changes you cannot adjust for unless it is between songs.

Hardtail

I think he meant the "line level out" that runs to a PA/mixer, not Extension cabinet. Line level out would maybe go at 1V which i assume could be achived overdriving a humbucker pu so that should be ok for the input. Or?

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jan 9 2008, 03:02 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 8 2008, 04:06 AM) *
I think he meant the "line level out" that runs to a PA/mixer, not Extension cabinet. Line level out would maybe go at 1V which i assume could be achived overdriving a humbucker pu so that should be ok for the input. Or?

"Line Level Out" or "Aux Out" or "Mix Out" or "Preamp Out" would have all been fine but I'd hate to see someone damage a bunch of equipment out of a little carelessness. I know Hisham meant well but I just wanted to throw up a red flag to prevent any undue stress for Mr. johnymac. biggrin.gif

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
johnymac
Jan 9 2008, 06:17 AM
thanks for the warning hardtail i will look into this more before i do anything that might damage my amps

--------------------
my gear

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:01 PM