2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Let's Talk Film Scores
Artemus
Oct 8 2009, 09:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
I thought I'd try starting up a discussion on soundtracks/film scores as I'm an avid fan of the genre and have some interests in writing soundtrack music myself. Indeed, I shall be doing so as soon as I'm able to commit time to my musical interests again.
Whilst talking with my friend (another keen lover of the film score scene...more so than I), the originality of modern film scores became the topic of conversation and along with it, the name Hans Zimmer. By the way, I don't want this to be a "bash-the-film-score" thread or a "bash-the-anything"; just a jolly discussion of opinions wink.gif
It would seem Mr. Zimmer and quite a few of the big names in Hollywood music scene enjoy the sound of a particular chord progression which can be heard in a number of scores all the time.
"How dare they" you exclaim? Well, I can hear the examples and in truth I'm not sure that I mind - the chord sequence lends itself to that Epicness which blockbuster films exude. One may even call it the Chord Progression of "Epic"
..something like Em - C - G - D... try it out, hours of fun biggrin.gif
Besides, the sequence may be "overused" as some have said (google overused chord progression), but the ideas that have been created with this sequence all have something to offer, something that is unique IMO - nobody's patented music it yet I don't think, but give it time. laugh.gif
As for Hans, well I loved his contribution together with John Powell's on Kung Fu Panda (great film too)

Anyhow, what I'm really into is the likes of the following (again courtesy of my film score friend):
The utter genius of David Shire's soundtrack to the original The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three
The music means to capture all the atmosphere of busy NY and it does, with all the nuances. The rhythms, the grooves and the absurdity and the creativity and daring all combine to form such tense yet varied emotions. I believe that Shire used the techniques of serialism and the twelve-tone scale, such as that employed by Schoenberg, to create this beast of a score:
This is just pure awesome!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Oct 8 2009, 10:33 PM
Instructor
I loce film scores too.
I have some piano reductions of some films scores.
The David Shire is a very nice and doable technique, regardless your level of music writing, its the concept what matters. Given that you know the form of what you must write, you place a very tonal and "root" like ostinato and oversimpose a lot of weird stuff. The contrast can be harmonic, texture, rhythm, weird intervals.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
rokchik
Oct 9 2009, 12:41 AM
The Dark Canuck
Well for me, when it comes to film scores, or even just music in movies, it's when it's used just right and it brings you back to a scene, character, or an emotion in that movie. Something that sticks with you forever. Like for me I can't hear the Imperial March and not see Darth Vader, or if I hear "Stuck in the middle with you" by steelers wheels I can't help but remember Michael Madsen's little dance before he... well you know smile.gif

Good movie scores are usually just as memorable as the movie... Jaws is another perfect example. Dun Dun... Dun Dun... who knew just a few simple notes would be used to conjure images of man eating sharks ready to eat you as you stepped into the water. A good score will do this though. James Bond, Indiana Jones, Star Wars all movies where the music is as large and popular as the film. But even though I love all these themes and many more like them I really love the ones that strike a chord with me emotionally. Like when I hear them I get that little lump in my throat. Here a couple of my Favourites and why

Just a simply beautiful piece of music from an amazing movie. I get chills every time I hear it with the emotion this songs eludes.

Another great piece of music imho. You can't help but anticipate (well at least I can't anyways) that as the song builds something great is going to happen and when those violins and symbols bust out I can't help but feel happy and that lump is always in my throat.

Not really a film score I know, and I couldn't find the scene from the movie, but this song gets me every time. I live on the east coast of Canada, and have many friends who I lost to the sea so when I hear this song, or see the scene in Titanic I can't help but think of them.

Ok this is tied for my favourite movie of all time and is another theme that as it builds I just get that lump in my throat. I just know I'm going to be watching one of the greatest movies ever and such an epic story.. plus it brings back memories of my grandma and the two of us with a big ol' bowl of popcorn, curled up in a blanket on the couch enjoying this classic. Ok yes I'm just a big softy smile.gif

As for composers Ennio Morricone was a genius. The Good the bad and the Ugly... brilliant.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Oct 9 2009, 12:43 AM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 9 2009, 12:59 AM
Instructor
Danny Elfman for me,
one of my all time favorites,
he did lots of scores for Tim Burton's movies and Tim is one of my fav directors ofc. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 9 2009, 01:00 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Great topic Art.. smile.gif One of my all time favorites, and yes, Mr. Hans Zimmer is behind this one as well! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 9 2009, 12:24 PM
GMC:er
Apart from those already mentioned this is one of my favourites of all time:-

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 9 2009, 12:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have a weakness for french film composers like Ennio Morricone, Eric Serra and the guy who did the soundtrack for "Betty Blue". Dave Grusins soundtrack for "The Faboulous Baker Boy's" is also a favourite, and YEAH, MICHELLE PFEIFFER sings for real in that movie, except for looking totally gorgeous... tongue.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 10 2009, 01:01 PM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Oct 9 2009, 12:41 AM) *
Good movie scores are usually just as memorable as the movie...
...I really love the ones that strike a chord with me emotionally. Like when I hear them I get that little lump in my throat. Here a couple of my Favourites and why

As for composers Ennio Morricone was a genius. The Good the bad and the Ugly... brilliant.

I loved the choices; Schlinder's List is astounding - such an emotive theme and so apt for the film. And I'd forgotten all about Dragonheart smile.gif
I think you've hit the nail on the head - the greats of the film scores are those which are immediately identifiable. Those where the film is incomplete without the sound track and that can bring all the magic of the film back to you just from listening to them. Morricone indeed - iconic!

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 9 2009, 12:59 AM) *
Danny Elfman for me,
one of my all time favorites,
he did lots of scores for Tim Burton's movies and Tim is one of my fav directors ofc. biggrin.gif

Ah, I've taken many notes from Danny Elfman's book in my own compositions. Unique - dark magic, mysterious with a slight scent of the macabre and fantasy gothic. This is one of my favourite Elfman compositions

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 10 2009, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestre, Hans Zimmer, JOHN WILLIAMS !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 10 2009, 01:54 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just a couple more:

The Crow - Dead Souls

Abraham's theme chariots of fire

This post has been edited by Fran: Oct 10 2009, 01:58 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 10 2009, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Oct 10 2009, 01:41 PM) *
Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestre, Hans Zimmer, JOHN WILLIAMS !

Yeah.. absolutely, JW is the daddy. Good call!

QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 10 2009, 01:54 PM) *
The Crow - Dead Souls

biggrin.gif Joy Division

That reminds me --
Ok then, here's the track; the Murphy classic that is...

Name the film (too easy?)

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 11 2009, 12:55 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I loved the theme of the "Deer Hunter movie" .

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 11 2009, 01:43 PM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Oct 10 2009, 09:04 PM) *
biggrin.gif Joy Division

Name the film (too easy?)

Original track is by Joy Divison, but that's actually a Nine Inch Nails cover smile.gif

Dracula!! laugh.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Oct 11 2009, 01:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 11 2009, 08:55 AM) *

Mmmm the player is John Williams (different person from the composer) I forgot the composer of this one, but very nice song!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 11 2009, 03:10 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 11 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Original track is by Joy Divison, but that's actually a Nine Inch Nails cover smile.gif

Oh yeah, of course it is. Forgot.. and quite a "true to the original" cover too

QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 11 2009, 01:43 PM) *
Dracula!! laugh.gif smile.gif

Close. Think David Bowie..

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 11 2009, 03:24 PM
QUOTE (Artemus @ Oct 11 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Close. Think David Bowie..

The Hunger! smile.gif

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 11 2009, 01:55 PM) *

We have that one on our wiki, check John Williams smile.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...p/John_Williams

This post has been edited by Fran: Oct 11 2009, 03:24 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Artemus
Oct 11 2009, 06:57 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 11 2009, 03:24 PM) *
The Hunger! smile.gif

You are correct sir.

A few more mentions:
Michael Nyman. The last film I saw with his music was Man On Wire, which I really enjoyed. More renowned for the following piece though:

..which leads me to a lesser known composer whose work I enjoy a great deal; Ludovico Einaudi. His album, Divenire, is worth a look if you haven't heard the beauty of this guys music. He wrote the score for a recent Doctor Zhivago adaptation starring Sam Neill and Keira Knightly

And now for someone even more obscure. I first got into his work through his project Naked City and later for his collaborations with Mike Patton. His filmworks collection have been used in all sorts of low budget film, adverts and documentaries and the styles range from classical to jazz to klezmer to er.. the slightly more eccentric. If you're in the UK, you can find almost all of his work on Spotify.
Here's some stuff from youtube but there's not that much on there and it's not entirely representative of him, just a glimpse.

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 11 2009, 08:13 PM
Jazz Instructor
Wow, Zhorn is great! My favorite is Dany Elfman!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 12 2009, 03:03 AM
Instructor
I'm a big fan of Danny too.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
OzRob
Oct 12 2009, 03:35 AM
GMC:er
One of the great pieces, played by Andre....

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:38 PM