> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

Scorpiotic's Phrasing Workshop
Cosmin Lupu
May 19 2012, 12:07 PM
Instructor
Hey my friend smile.gif needless to say, this thread here belongs to...YOU biggrin.gif thanks for choosing me!

Tell me a bit about yourself, your playing/ sources of inspiration and your future musical plans, please, so we can start rockin' wink.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Scorpiotic
May 20 2012, 01:26 PM
GMC:er
Ok cool smile.gif

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years, with varying interest/motivation/progress...
Inspiration comes from a wide specter of bands/artists, from soft rock like John Mayer to harder bands like Children of Bodom and Slipknot. Recently had increased interest in prog metal (Dream Theater and Beyond the Bridge in particular) and also orchestral/epic metal (Delain, Hammerfall and Kamelot would be examples). Also, bands like Anberlin, Avenged Sevenfold (quite a devoted fan of their music) Disturbed, Alter Bridge (saw ur lesson on them, look'em up and now about 10-20 songs of theirs fills my ipod tongue.gif ) and Three Days Grace are bands that have inspired me over the years. The list goes on and on, and varies over weeks. Some days Anberlin is all i listen too, then suddenly Dope and Disturbed is what keeps my ears busy...

These days my guitar playing is limited to the GMC lessons and a few "spur-of-the-moment" recordings. I can never seem to finish a song. I will get a really cool riff in my head, recording in, and through the process of adding bass, drums and putting it all together, the interest and inspiration slips away and another project is ended half-way... really hoping to get to the finish line at some point tongue.gif

My future plans; the dream (and here goes unoriginality) is to play in a band, full-time as my job. However, right now I'm content with developing my abilities as a guitarist and songwriter, sort of making materials for when the time to form a band that will stand the test of time comes. I've been in a few bands, never lasted long though; some where school projects, other bands were formed to participate in school and festival talentshows, but never really went beyond that.

As with my inspiration and the bands I listen to, what I want to write is all over the board. I just can't seem to decide what kind of genre i'm better at writing or what i enjoy the most. Of course one can write anything, but thinking forward about forming a band at some point, the material needs to be cohesive in some way so that all the pieces (songs) compliment each other to make an understandable image that listeners can relate to easily without being "confused"

A bit of rambling on there, maybe a bit more than you wanted, I get carried away with thoughts when I write hehe
Well, thats about where I stand now...

As I mentioned in the first message i sent you, I think the fields i want to work on are writing/producing songs and guitar techniques/fluency. I feel i have a fairly good knowledge of music theory, so thats not so much an issue smile.gif

Looking forward to get started smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 20 2012, 05:20 PM
Instructor
smile.gif mate, your so called 'ranting' is a very good starting point for our work together. The more I know, the more I can help you with wink.gif

Your listening preferences are very, very close to mine - aside from the epic metal, which I am not into - biggrin.gif which is another good thing wink.gif we can relate so that's good! Song writing/ orchestrating is a very lengthy process, which requires time, patience and dedication. A good song idea can pop out at any time, but transforming that idea into a full fledged 'audio story', well that's a different thing.

Living off of music is a great thing to be and a good goal, once you can earn sufficient money out of music so that it will sustain all your needs, you are there. There are a lot of ways in which you can earn money out of music, not only gigging and selling albums (even though that's the most beautiful and soul rewarding part)

Here's how i would start smile.gif first of all, I would be very glad if you could send me some recordings of yourself, so that i may see where we stand. After that, we can take your riffs and ideas and start working on them smile.gif create structures and orchestrate them together.

What do you think man?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
May 21 2012, 12:42 AM
Sounds good cool.gif

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 21 2012, 04:29 PM
Instructor
Great! We'll start as soon as you send some materials!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
May 30 2012, 11:55 AM
Hi Cosmin,

Exams recently started, or the studying for it at least, so I'm a bit busy with that, I'll try to do some recordings within the week.

Cheers

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 30 2012, 10:03 PM
Instructor
Alright man! No biggie - I am here once you are ready and you can send some stuff my way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Jun 3 2012, 03:00 PM
Heya,

Unfortunately I've not been able to get any recordings done with studying and exams...
instead of setting a new deadline for any takes which i may or may not break, all i can say is i will get the takes done as soon as possible.

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 3 2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Hey man! Take care with the exams, finish the studies and then put your focus into the guitar smile.gif I am here when you are ready wink.gif

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Aug 2 2012, 05:19 AM
Hi Cosmin, I'm back smile.gif
took longer than intended though...

Anyway, I'm having some recording issues... I prefer recording guitar playing while jamming to songs - thats usually how my ideas spawns. Problem is, I cant find a way to record live without having 1 of 2 problems;

Using FL Studio and ASIO4ALL driver, I can record easily with virtually no latency, but I can't run iTunes or youtube or anything else to jam along to, as ASIO mutes everything but FL Studio.

The other problem is, if I use Reaper I can record guitar while listening to other songs from other programs, but with a latency that is really annoying and throws my rhythm out the window...

Made a thread about it https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry598891
but nothing yet... Can you think of any work-arounds or programs that could help with this?

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 2 2012, 03:14 PM
Instructor
Hey mate, glad to have you back smile.gif

I tend to agree with Todd abotu upgrading your PC and interface - but until then, a simple recording with a camera that also captures sound will do, as long as you place it in the right spot and make a few tests to make sure that the volumes are ok - both backing and guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Aug 6 2012, 12:51 AM
ok thanks smile.gif i'll get on the recordings

btw - to play songs in drop C or drop B, is it necessary with a baritone guitar or a special set of strings, or can you use a regular guitar with regular strings?

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2012, 09:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Scorpiotic @ Aug 5 2012, 11:51 PM) *
ok thanks smile.gif i'll get on the recordings

btw - to play songs in drop C or drop B, is it necessary with a baritone guitar or a special set of strings, or can you use a regular guitar with regular strings?

Alright mate, well, for drop C and B, you can use a regular guitar but you need higher gauge strings - 10-52s will work ok for drop C and for drop B, 11-54s are perfect.

You can also use 11-54s for drop C, but string bending will become a bit of a nuisance... smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Aug 8 2012, 03:39 PM
ok thanks i'll remember that next time i buy strings smile.gif

here's the first recording - i'm not too happy with it, but i figured if i am to wait and work with anything until i'm completely happy with it, i miht never actually get to share anything with you x] so here it is anyways... I think its ok, (mixing/balance could use some work though), but how I would add a lead guitar or vocals to it; i'm pretty clueless... I guess thats why i'm here tongue.gif

cheers

Attached File(s)
Attached File  GMC1.mp3 ( 893.5K ) Number of downloads: 184

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 9 2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor
Hey man! This is very nice! It has a grungy 90's rock vibe to it wink.gif

Now - in order to see what you can play over it as a lead line:

1) How did you come up with it in the first place?
2) Did it come to you fast, or you had to arrange, trim, cut, play, until it was there?
3) Listen to it and sing what you hear in your head as a lead melody first.
4) Shape it until it's clear and you can transpose it on the guitar smile.gif
5) Analyze it and see what happened from the theoretical perspective

Points 3)-5) are my way of writing biggrin.gif

What do you think?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Aug 25 2012, 02:21 AM
1. tinkering with '5-chords
2. fairly quick

steps 3-5 is underway... having trouble finding something that harmonizes well with it, my usual point of frustration. I guess I construct the riffs kind of single minded, so when its done I just can't add to it as it is a part on its own...
Could you make a take on it? Would be interesting to different ways of working from the same base.
I will make mine without listening to yours though, trying to make it "my way", if that makes sense...

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 25 2012, 12:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Scorpiotic @ Aug 25 2012, 01:21 AM) *
1. tinkering with '5-chords
2. fairly quick

steps 3-5 is underway... having trouble finding something that harmonizes well with it, my usual point of frustration. I guess I construct the riffs kind of single minded, so when its done I just can't add to it as it is a part on its own...
Could you make a take on it? Would be interesting to different ways of working from the same base.
I will make mine without listening to yours though, trying to make it "my way", if that makes sense...

Hey mate sure, I'll try and think about something and see what comes out biggrin.gif then post it here wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2012, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Hey there mate! Would you please send me the drum track? smile.gif I got some ideas biggrin.gif I have been working on for your phrase!

+Quote Post
Scorpiotic
Sep 15 2012, 11:23 AM
Hey mate, finally got around to recording it. I think I had other ideas too, but they got lost as I put off recording it... anyway here is drum track and my recording with a lead. Again, even mixing hasn't been done, just focused on putting the idea on the table (the lead isn't as clear and smooth as I want it, but again, just to get the idea out, and I think I was able to do that)

Hope we can work with it

Already felt that I'm tired of this riff and just want to chuck it out and make something else to be honest... Like that what I got so far is not representative of what I want to have as "my music". Its recorded more of convenience (I was able to sort of) as opposed me thinking "oh yea, this is f**** great, I wanna make this song something special"

So yea, lets see where it ends up... smile.gif

as regarding your steps 3-4-5, I sort of cheated. I initially did sort of work around with it in my head, but then it eventually ended up just recording this while having the first track on loop, and this section here is what had the best fit from my jamming... i had other stuff too, which maybe was better, but it felt more like soloing, something to be heard once in the song, as opposed to repeatedly with the main riff...

So step 3-4 I skipped I guess, as for 5 and theory, its built around A minor... thats what I got tongue.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  GMC1_drumtrack.mp3 ( 2.52MB ) Number of downloads: 164
Attached File  GMC2.mp3 ( 2.52MB ) Number of downloads: 166

--------------------
- Scorpiotic

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2012, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Alright! I'll record my ideas tomorrow wink.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:45 AM