2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Funk Collaboration, FINAL MIX & COMMENTS
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2008, 12:57 AM
Instructor
Ahoy there GMC`ers it seems that we have another great collab on our hand! You all made it great, and this one really shows all the hard work you've put into your playing!

I must note that, knowing from previous collabs that we've done you made a very good progress and I can see how your overall tone and soloing concepts are developing and sounding great here!

SO without further adue... smile.gif

COLLABORATION SUMMARY:

Participants: 13
Duration: 8m 09s

1. USAMAN

You started your solo great with that bassy lick, and then going to some fast stuff right away, first few bend licks were great, and then that coming down was a little shaky, then again coming to those bends, quite nice, I like when you go into frenzy with those nice legato repeating lick. After that it seemed to me like you wanted to finish the solo earlier, so the end is not to effective it seems added, but you made it to the end. I suggest practicing bends more, and the distortion is maybe too compressed for my taste.

2. TJCHEP

Nice first melody line and intro to solo, then you kinda lost yourself with lots of licks unconnected, up until the end when you pull out those nice bending phrasing. I really liked those. The sound isn't too bad, too much mids but smooth and ok. What I would do when improvising is find a melody line that I like, for example the one from the beginnign of your solo, and build your solo on that, maybe make some variations instead of playing very different licks.

3. KAZNIE

Hey nice effort man, Interesting pentatonic scale use, and rhytmic patterns. Just don't forget to insert a few bends here and there so it doesn't sound similar throughout the solo. The sound is ok, maybe little thin, but Not too harsh sounding.

4. DEEPROOTS

Nice intro to solo Deep, and nice fills too, you really worked out the theme, and those bends later are very smooth and going well in the solo, you kept it then simple to the end and done nice little run down the scale to finish off. The concept of soloing is going well for you, just need to refine allaround execution a little and it would be great. Sound is decent.

5. SIGGUM

WOw, nice jazzy licks, I like it a lot. ALso nice twangy clean sound is very decent indeed. Those chords are very good and fit in quite nicely over the vamp. The little solo lick remind of Joe's a little, maybe you got inspiration there. Nice work man!

6. PREOWNEDGUITAR

Nice intro, and some interesting developing, those hamerons need to be just little more precise if you ask me. Also the muting of the strings must be tighter. I like the idea in the end of making soem themes based on combination of the same notes. It came out pretty well. The sound is too compressed, need to work on your preset just a little more. Other than that it's great.

7. JVM

wow, those are some nice funky chords. I like it a lot! You really captured the essence of funk man, especially with those repeating intervals in the middle of the solo. THe solo part seems little shaky after this chordal work, but you made it quite nicely with chords in the end. Good job!

8. GUS

And first wah wah participant. Nicely done man! I like those bending licks and the fact you wanted to do some syncopating in the solo, but for my taste too much repeating of the same lick. Maybe throw in some nice long bends or long notes in solo and it will sound even better for sure. SOund is nice!

9. SMELLS

Great solo smells, you're really progressing, I can sense that, also this nice theme at the beginning of the solo is a very interesting one. It reminds me on something but who know what.. Nice lick tho, and legato afterwards is also very good. The concept of the solo is good, but one suggestion, there are many great exercises here, and just make it a little bit smoother transition between them when playing the solo will sound even better. SOund is liiitle compressed for my taste but smooth and not harsh sounding.

10. ORGANIZED CONFUSION

Nice little crunchy playing there confusion, I like the idea how you played with the rhythm to make some nice soloing. You throwed in some exerices that are not built for funk so the speak, but made them sound very funky, and that is smart thinking man. More security while playing is maybe something to note, and try to relax while playing, it sounds a little tensed.

11. ANGELICA

And our brave singer Angelica smile.gif Thanks for chipping in with you voice. I really like the lyrics, very funky and catchy. ALso those backings are a nice touch. About the singing, it is very good, but more security in your voice could not hurt you. Those octave higher singing in the end is a great idea, and with a bit of practice it could sound even more better. In the end you kinda lost the tempo a bit, but it's nothing serious. Great job!

12. SOULSTONE

Nice starting lick, maybe a little messy because of the high gain but I like it. Need to sound a little more concrete and defined and by rolling of the drive it could sound great. In the end you made some interesting repetative lick and a small melody line. What I like about your solo is you made it all sound in one theme so the concept is interesting.

13. JOE CATALDO

Nice take Joe, good solid concept and great starting theme. You practiced that one, and it sounds very nice. In the second part of the solo it's a liiitle shaky but your holding to the click to the end which is great, maybe dropping few notes here and there but nothing too serious. The sound is also very good and well defined, with some nice space effects, little but effective.

MINE TAKE:

I've made some interesting twangy effects in the first part, but later going berseerk, and even loosing tempo and note count in one moment which is not good at all. Also notes didn't came out properly and must work more on my accuracy along side with speed while doing improvisations. In generall good, but messy.

So I woudl like to thank to all the participants! I'll see you in the next collab real soon, and have fun! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Mar 27 2008, 01:16 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  new_funk_collab.mp3 ( 7.47MB ) Number of downloads: 521

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 27 2008, 01:13 AM
Learning Roadie
Ivan, you forgot to add the mp3 wink.gif

Thanks for the comments. I've (I think) heard everyones in the other thread, and you all did a great job. About the solo part on mine, i think it was a little shaky because I tried to adjust volume using the knob on my guitar because it was coming out a bit too loud before... but perhaps that was a mistake tongue.gif Thanks for the collab Ivan.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 27 2008, 01:14 AM
Get to da Chopper!
no mix attatched?? Cant wait to hear it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2008, 01:17 AM
Instructor
Here it is guys, I forgot to put it biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 27 2008, 01:30 AM
Get to da Chopper!
WOW! This rocks! funks! tongue.gif

Congrats to all!! And many thanks to you Ivan, this turned out great smile.gif

Thanks for your comments too, ill work on my execution among other things biggrin.gif

edit: typo

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Mar 27 2008, 01:33 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 27 2008, 01:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Very nice job everyone!!!!!!! smile.gif Going to put on my hat, find a big feather to put in it and go practice. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 27 2008, 01:49 AM
Instructor
This is great smile.gif
I love listening through collabs.. many good ideas to be heard smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 27 2008, 02:00 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 26 2008, 08:37 PM) *
Very nice job everyone!!!!!!! smile.gif Going to put on my hat, find a big feather to put in it and go practice. biggrin.gif

Me too biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Mar 27 2008, 02:40 AM
GMC:er
Totally 100% agree with you on this.. I really liked the begging and the end.. but that was it smile.gif. The rest made no sense or whatever.

Never really had to really feel the groove on a song, so I was a bit lost.. first take anyways wink.gif.

Thanks for comments though man, really appreciate it. Everyone did so good, cool collab man!

tj

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Mar 27 2008, 02:42 AM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Siggum
Mar 27 2008, 07:22 AM
FUNKY!! Good job Ivan, looking forward to your next collab cool.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 27 2008, 07:26 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Funkiii stuff smile.gif

Good job!

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 27 2008, 08:27 AM
Singing Instructor
Great job every one...smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Mar 27 2008, 11:04 AM
Instructor

The sound is also very good and well defined, with some nice space effects, little but effective.

Thanks Ivan, I don't like to much reverb and big ambient effect, they set your lead in the back biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 27 2008, 11:25 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great takes people , I enjoyed listening to it smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2008, 12:06 PM
Instructor
Thanks for kind words guys. Another collaboration coming real soon! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 27 2008, 12:32 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
smile.gif good collab, great takes everyone, good job Ivan, thanks for the comments, look forward to the next one smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Angelica
Mar 27 2008, 03:31 PM
Hey very good takes guys!!
well except me laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
in the mixing that voice take sounds weird!!
Anyway it has been really fun to participate and looking forward to the next one!!
Great job Ivan and thanx for the comments wink.gif

--------------------

It's better to please much to a few, than to please a few to many

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 27 2008, 04:12 PM
QUOTE (Angelica @ Mar 27 2008, 03:31 PM) *
well except me laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Not really, tongue.gif . Yours were also good,. Your voice reminds me Vanessa Farias, a singer in Emmerson Nogueira's band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm6DkNrRaXs

USAMAN's take really had to be the first, "prepare for launching, 3, 2, 1, ...." hehe

And nice take Ivan...

I love the lessons, but collabs is the funniest part or GMC! laugh.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2008, 08:13 PM
Instructor
It sure is! Thanks for compliments guys! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Mar 27 2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks Ivan ..Hit the nail on the head with the comments....btw ...I like compressed distortion wink.gif
I really struggled with this style...I guess that means practice it more...Great job!

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:11 PM