Native Instruments Studio Drummer, quick sample
Todd Simpson
Apr 10 2012, 11:55 AM
GMC:er
Here is a quick sample from NATIVE INSTRUMENTS STUDIO DRUMMER.

I"m always on the lookout for a new software drum plugin! The NI stuff has been a personal fave since GR3. I also got ABBEY ROAD MODERN DRUMS which also runs in the same KONTACT plugin container. But so far, it's not anything close to as good as Studio Drummer. If you see studio drummer on sale, it's worth picking up IMHO to add in to your collection.

Attached File  NI_Studio_Drummer.mp3 ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 406
Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 10 2012, 11:56 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 11 2012, 09:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
Todd - how does this compare to Superior Drummer? Just curious as I haven't tried either, though I've been tempted to "upgrade" from Ez Drummer to the superior line ~ but (and I'm laughing at myself right now) I don't know why I feel I need to upgrade to Superior Drummer! I think the word "upgrade" gives me the insatiable to desire to buy new toys! haha.

Anyways ~ Is NI really that much better than EZ/Superior in terms of "sound"? Or is it functionality that sets them apart (mic placement, splitting out to tracks/ EQ'ing, etc.)?

Cool, thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Apr 11 2012, 10:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 11 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Todd - how does this compare to Superior Drummer? Just curious as I haven't tried either, though I've been tempted to "upgrade" from Ez Drummer to the superior line ~ but (and I'm laughing at myself right now) I don't know why I feel I need to upgrade to Superior Drummer! I think the word "upgrade" gives me the insatiable to desire to buy new toys! haha.

Anyways ~ Is NI really that much better than EZ/Superior in terms of "sound"? Or is it functionality that sets them apart (mic placement, splitting out to tracks/ EQ'ing, etc.)?

Cool, thanks!

by the way, have you checked out Metal Machine EZX expansion for EZ Drummer?
http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=119

If they can get the drums to sound this good in those mixes, then I have a feeling it's not so much the plugin that makes or breaks the sound, but the operator's mixing skills biggrin.gif I have yet to get this close in my own recordings, but wow! check out the music samples on this page. oooof.

Chris!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Apr 11 2012, 10:47 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 11 2012, 11:34 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think its more beginner ready. But for personal customization, Superior Drummer and Steven Slate I think offer the best.

But this is NI here, so you KNOW for a FACT. That pretty much anything they do is golden.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 12 2012, 12:26 AM
GMC:er
It's closer to superior drummer than say EZ drummer if only for the addition of mix tools and built in plugin sets of compression/eq/reverb etc. So that you can shape your drum sound without leaving the plugin and then share those setups without requiring the other person to have additional software. Also, it runs inside of the KONTACT player which is a very spiff platform IMHO for plugins in general. It's not everyones cup of tea though.

I've been mostly impressed with the sample quality and ability to sound shape within the plugin itself. OF course, it runs inside reaper/etc. or on its own and can be triggered by midi/keyboard etc. The usual stuff. But for the price especially it's pretty amazing.

It's sort of like BFD Eco in many respects, which is sort of like Superior/BFD but stripped a bit. The samples are as close to my fav in the STEVE SLATE DRUMS plugin as I have yet to hear. SLATE also runs inside the contact player, so you can set your patterns with STUDIO DRUMMER and switch to SLATE or SUPERIOR for a different sound.

Todd

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 11 2012, 04:39 PM) *

Cool, thanks!

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Apr 11 2012, 05:47 PM) *
by the way, have you checked out Metal Machine EZX expansion for EZ Drummer?
http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=119

If they can get the drums to sound this good in those mixes, then I have a feeling it's not so much the plugin that makes or breaks the sound, but the operator's mixing skills biggrin.gif I have yet to get this close in my own recordings, but wow! check out the music samples on this page. oooof.

Chris!

I almost bought it! But I already have the DRUMS FROM HELL expansion to EZ, and BFD ECO, and SLATE DRUMS EX, and STUDIO DRUMMER so I"m probably ok for now. But yeah, great sounds in Metal Expansion kit!

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 11 2012, 06:34 PM) *
I think its more beginner ready. But for personal customization, Superior Drummer and Steven Slate I think offer the best.

But this is NI here, so you KNOW for a FACT. That pretty much anything they do is golden.

Well said! Great minds think alike smile.gif I said pretty much the same idea then noticed you'd already said it in your post. I agree, the NI stuff and SLATE always seem to have seriously impressive samples out of the box, without any fx even. They spend HUGE money in legendary studios with dream gear getting their sounds. Not to say the EZ samples are crap, but they didn't go to OCEAN WAY SOUND or ABBEY ROAD STUDIOS and take advantage of these ginormous back line collections these legendary studios have. The primary/base sounds in EZ were done in a nice facility in Texas.

Now the new METAL Machine EZX drums were recorded in a much better studio, with much better drums by a top notch Metal producer, so yeah, they are just better out of box. I still may up getting that expansion despite all the drum plugs I've already got including the DRUMS FROM HELL EZX.

Todd

----------------

ALMOST FORGOT!

in STUDIO DRUMMER there is a new slider for "SUB KICK" which is a sub kick type bass drum mic that you can mix in below the level of the standard bass drum mic. You can really remix the drums inside plugin. Full board, outboard gear, etc. Also, "Snare Bleed" is a new addition which ads realism to the snare. Here is a vid talking about it all.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 12 2012, 12:20 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:12 AM