Shred Picks?
mattacuk
Feb 25 2009, 08:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
I have been using Dunlop 1mm nylon picks for a while now but I find these are not really good for technical playing. Recently I bought 1.14mm Gator Grip picks and I found them really good. They are more sturdy and give me more control.

The thing is with all my picks, they all seem to wear down VERY quickly ! As I have only ever used various dunlop picks, in GMC members experience is this normal on all pick brands?

I would like to know what picks you guys using for shred? If muris is watching, what mm of pick do you use? and indeed any of our instructors smile.gif

thanks guys.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Andrew6
Feb 25 2009, 08:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
I found the same thing I am currently trying the dunlop jazz III picks, so far they are great! But then again I am by no means a shredder! Sharp and super thick! might want to give them a shot

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 25 2009, 08:29 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hi Andrew, yes I think I will buy a few of those to try. I am thinking maybe an even thicker pick might be useful for technical work , maybe a 1.5mm or 2mm?

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Feb 25 2009, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
yikes that is thick! mine are 1.38 but really its personal preference, as long as the pick doesnt get held up on the strings due to flimsyness tongue.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 25 2009, 08:39 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Feb 25 2009, 07:36 PM) *
yikes that is thick! mine are 1.38 but really its personal preference, as long as the pick doesnt get held up on the strings due to flimsyness tongue.gif

Well I figure if I like 1.14 over 1mm, maybe I will try thicker still biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Artemus
Feb 25 2009, 08:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker - CHALLENGE STAR!
Thick and pointy, that's how I like 'em.
I use Tortex Black Jazz >=1mm. They have a nice shape/size and a nice feel - I don't like shiny picks because they tend to slip when things get sweaty. They do wear down eventually but I always file them back down to a point.
I also came across some Dava plecs the other day - haven't tried them but they look interesting..

--------------------
My Myspace site here
My YouTube channel here

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Feb 25 2009, 08:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I would strongly suggest you to try-out the V-Picks (www.v-picks.com) as well. They are much thicker (2.75mm), but they play smoother and better for all my shred work than compared to any other picks I used before.

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 25 2009, 09:02 PM
GMC:er
I'm also a Dunlop-addict so far. They do wear off very quickly (they aren't as sharp originally either) and they can be slippery. I use the 1.14 mm Dunlop USA. I scratch little # shape cuts in it for a better grip and I constantly sharpen them with a nail-file.

Otherwise my suggestion would be the jazz III picks smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Feb 25 2009, 09:21 PM
Learning Tone Guru
What kind of wear do you mean? My Big stubbies (dunlop, 2mm) get worn in about a week - the point starts to be scratchy if you slip it with fingers.

What I do is, that I just grab a sanding paper and brush them a bit and they are as new again smile.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Feb 25 2009, 09:43 PM
Instructor
I'm using these

They're pretty fast.

This post has been edited by Aleksander Sukovic: Feb 25 2009, 09:44 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
helo92
Feb 25 2009, 10:36 PM
dunlop jazz III

--------------------
<a href="http://www.wacken.com/" target="_blank"><embed src="http://banner.wacken.com/banner/WOA_Banner2010_468x60_090904_cw.swf" quality="high" width="468" height="60"></embed></a>

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 25 2009, 11:48 PM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks for all your input guys. I realise you can shred with any pick, as I have done smile.gif But the right pick can make things more comfortable. I have heard alot about these V-picks so I will try a few of those.I think I will try a few of you guys suggestions and see which I like best.

The wear I always get is the point, it usually wears away in less than a week. I practice pretty hard so I seem to get through alot ! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roadside
Feb 26 2009, 08:30 AM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Feb 25 2009, 09:21 PM) *
What kind of wear do you mean? My Big stubbies (dunlop, 2mm) get worn in about a week - the point starts to be scratchy if you slip it with fingers.

What I do is, that I just grab a sanding paper and brush them a bit and they are as new again smile.gif

Why did I never come up with this idea??? grrrr, I´ll have to try that now smile.gif Thanks tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:20 PM